Images & Photography on YSM Websites
Images that do not meet these standards will not be displayed or will be removed from Yale School of Medicine websites. Questions about specific images can be directed to anyone at the Yale School of Medicine web team
Quality of content:
- Images that are photographs need to display the department and the work of its faculty and staff in a professional, relevant manner.
- Microscopy images are also allowed as decoration or to illustrate a point on the site, but graphic illustrations or drawings are not used (especially for the home page banner) unless previously approved as necessary.
- Images need to be in focus, well‐lit for the subject matter, and professionally processed, including for color correction.
- Images that are grainy, obviously digitally manipulated, or have been processed incorrectly will not be displayed or will be removed from the site.
All images for your website need to be at least 300 dpi. Images for the home page need to be at least 1,000 pixels wide. All images for other pages of the site need to have at least one side of the image that is 1,000 pixels long. Images fitting this tend to be a minimum of 2 MB.
- Permission from the subject:
In order to display images on your site, you must have permission from the people who are photographed. Verbal and/or written permission given by the subject at the time of photography is fine, unless the subject is a patient in which case a HIPAA Media Release form must be signed by the patient.
Yale or the department must own copyright of the images, and/or have an agreement with the photographer that allows use of the image on their site.
Home Page Banners
Content: The banner area of the home page is reserved for “action” images that are representative of the work done by the organization, or beautiful, detailed microscopy. Group photographs are not used in the banner area because they do not invite your user to learn more, and they become outdated quickly as staff come and go. However, they can be placed on your “About us” page.
Aspect Ratio: Images taken for the home page banner need to be taken with the horizontal aspect ratio and right‐hand overlay in mind, including dead space on the top, right, and bottom of the full‐frame image. The “action” of the photograph needs to be happening to the left and middle of the photograph. Only 25% of the full‐frame image displays in the final rendering.
Additional information and examples detailed in “YSM Home Page Banner Aspect Ratio” document.