Adding Documents to a Page
What You Will Learn
- How to add documents to your page by linking text directly to documents you've already uploaded into Tridion
- Highlight text in "Text and Tables" field of content component; click on "Hyperlink" button in Format tab
- Select Component from "Type' menu; pick document and click OK
A document is not added onto a page by using any specific template like other multimedia components. Rather, text is hyperlinked to a document component, which allows for the user to download the document from your site once published.
- After uploading your document(s) in your Building Blocks folder as multimedia components (click here for instructions on how to upload a document), open the page and then the Content component that contains the text that is relevant to your document(s).
- Create text and/or find text in your paragraph that relates to your document. Bold this text to help it stand out.
- Highlight the bolded words. Then in the Format tab, click on the "Hyperlink" button. A small window will appear on your screen.
- From the Type drop down menu, select Component. Then click on the yellow folder next to this field. Tridion will take you to your Building Blocks folder. Pick the correct document.
- Click "OK" at the bottom of the small window.
- Repeat for all documents needed within the component. Remember to Save & Close both the component and page, then publish!
Examples of Linked Documents:
Update a document already linked on a YSM website
If you're updating a document that's already linked to on a YSM website, you may want to replace the document in the existing Document schema component, rather than creating a brand new component (as in the steps above). The main reason to do this would be to keep the same URL link to the document in place if it is linked from another document, an external website, or an email.
To update an existing document without changing the URL link to the document:
- Before continuing, if you are trying to update a document without changing the URL link, make sure the name of the updated document exactly matches the name of the document currently in Tridion.
- If necessary, save a copy the file and rename it for the web.
- Open the page in the Root that the document is linked on.
- From the Component Presentations tab, double-click the component that contains the reference to the document to open it.
- In the Home tab of the component, click the Where Used button.
- In the window that appears, select the Uses tab (by default, the Used In tab will display).
- Click the document you'd like to update from the list, then click the Open button.
- Click the Load from Disk button.
- Locate the updated file with the same file name on your computer, and click the Open button. This will replace the old document with the updated version.
- Save and close the Document component.
- Close the Where Used window.
- Save and close the page, then Publish it.