News System: Add an External News Item
This video demonstrates how to create a news item that links to an external news article.
Add News from an External Source
If you find a news article on the web from an external source (e.g. from the New York Times, the New Haven Register, or another publication), it's quick and easy to add a link to the article on your site by using the news system. The news item will appear in your site's news listing, and upon clicking the item, the user will be directed to the external, non-Yale source.
You must always use this feature for linking to articles from external sources on the web, credit must be given to the content owner by linking to the article on their site. Never copy and paste the full article text from an outside source into the news system.
- Go to profile.yale.edu and click "Edit a Profile" to log in.
- Click News in the top navigation, then select Add a News Item.
- In the "Title" field, copy & paste the title from the original story. Then, date the article and copy & paste some text (up to 80 words) from the original article into the "Summary" field to create a short description of the article. If you wish, you can also write your own brief summary of the article.
- In the "Source Name" enter the name of the outlet that published the article, (e.g. CNN, New Haven Register).
- In the "Website Address" field, copy & paste the full URL link to the original news item.
- Select Next. You will be directed to a new page with additional fields.
- You do not need to edit the "Article Content" or "Links, Documents, and Multimedia" sections of the news item. Users will read the full article on the original site so this content won't be visible.
- To make a thumbnail appear for this article in your news listing, in the "Photos & Images" section, select "Add a Photo." Then select "Add an Image" in the popup and choose an image file that you've already saved to your computer or attached drive.
- To save an image from a webpage, such as from the original article, simply right click on the image and select "Save Image as."
- Note that in order for the thumbnail to appear properly, it must be at least 198px wide.
- In the "Choose Where This News Item will Display" section, tag your organization(s) and any Yale people mentioned in the article.
- Once you are done, select "Back to News List" at the bottom. Your news item will appear on the News Feed for the tagged organization(s).