News System: Add a News Item
Add an Original News Item
Images for News Items
In general, to ensure your images display clearly in the current system and are future-proofed for any updates to the system, images uploaded along with news articles should be at least 1000px wide. However, if for some reason an image of that size is not available, the following are the current minimum display requirements for news images:
Articles with 1 or 2 images
In order for images to display in an article with 1 or 2 images, the images must be at least 208px wide.
Articles with 3 or more images
If an article has 3 or more images, any portrait images must be at least 498px tall to display. Landscape images must be at least 592px wide to display.
Thumbnail Images for News Listing Pages
Even if the images do not meet the minimum requirements stated above, the first image added to a news item will still display as a thumbnail on the listing page if the image is at least 198px wide.
- Visit http://profile.yale.edu in your web browser.
- Click the Edit a Profile… button.
- Log in with your NetID and password.
- Click the News link in the horizontal navigation at the top of the page.
- Click the +Add a News Item button.
- Add a Title, Date, and Summary for the news item.
- The Source Name and Website Address can remain blank for original news.
- Click Next…
- Scroll down and find the heading Article Content. Click the Edit… link next to the word Article.
- Enter the text for the article in the richtext field that appears. You can type the story in directly or copy and paste it in from another program.
- Click Update.
- Click the Edit… link next to the word Author.
- Enter the name of the article author, then click Update.
- If you have any photos to add to the story, click the +Add a Photo… link.
- Click the Add an image button, then the Choose File button to select an image from your computer or attached drive.
- Note that in order for your images to appear properly, they should be at least 592 pixels wide. If you have only 2 or fewer images, they will still appear so long as they are 198 pixels wide but will not expand for a larger view.
- After selecting an image, click the Add button.
- Upon returning to the Image popup, enter in a Caption and Photo Credit for your image.
- To add a link to a document or other multimedia, click the +Add a link… button.
- Further instructions on adding links to documents and multimedia here.
- In order for the news item to appear on the web, it must be tagged with relevant organizations. To tag an organization, click the +Add an organization… button.
- Select an organization from the dropdown menu.
- Check off all applicable keywords for the news item for that organization.
- Click Add.
- You can add as many organizations as necessary by repeating steps 18-21.
- To tag faculty members mentioned in the article, click +Add a person…
- Begin typing in the faculty member’s name in the Name field.
- Select the correct name from the suggested results.
- Confirm the faculty member’s details in the fields below, then click Add.
- You can add as many faculty members as necessary by repeating steps 22-25.
- Click the Back to News List link to return to the news list and add or approve additional news items.