Brain; Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Neurology; Pediatrics; Cone-Beam Computed Tomography; Diffusion Tensor Imaging; Functional Neuroimaging
Laura R. Ment, M.D., studies the impact of preterm birth on the developing brain in groups of newborn 16 and 18 year old ex-preterm infants, by assessing serial neurodevelopmental outcome measures coupled with volumetric, functional and diffusion tensor imaging strategies. Her research on the "adaptive mechanisms of developing brain" addresses questions of neurogenesis, axonal guidance, synaptogenesis and the angiogenic/neurogenic interface in a preclinical model of preterm birth. Finally, Dr. Ment and her colleagues have just begun a 14 center study investigating the genetic and environmental risk factors for intraventricular hemorrhage, the most common cause of injury to the developing preterm brain.
Specialized Terms: Adaptive Mechanisms of Developing Brain; Clinical Studies of Pathophysiology and Gene Targets for Prevention of Injury to Preterm Brain; Volumetric, Diffusion Tensor and Functional Imaging of Developmental Changes; Preclinical Studies in employing Animal Models of Injury and Repair in Preterm Brain with MRI, Genetic and Behavioral Assessments
- Myers EH, Hampson M, Vohr B, Lacadie C, Frost SJ, Pugh KR, Katz KH, Schneider KC, Makuch RW, Constable RT, Ment LR. Functional connectivity to a right hemisphere language center in prematurely born adolescents. NeuroImage 2010;51:1445-52.
- Luu TM, Vohr BR, Schneider KC, Katz KH, Tucker R, Allan WC, Ment LR. Trajectories of receptive language development from 3 to 12 years of age for very preterm children. Pediatrics. 2009 Jul;124(1):333-41.
- Gozzo Y, Vohr B, Lacadie C, Hampson M, Katz KH, Maller-Kesselman J, Schneider KC, Peterson BS, Rajeevan N, Makuch RW, Constable RT, Ment LR. Alterations in neural connectivity in preterm children at school age. Neuroimage. 2009 Nov 1;48(2):458-63. Epub
- Ment LR, Kesler S, Vohr B, Katz KH, Baumgartner H, Schneider KC, Delancy S, Silbereis J, Duncan CC, Constable RT, Makuch RW, Reiss AL. Longitudinal brain volume changes in preterm and term control subjects during late childhood and adolescence. Pediatrics. 2009 Feb;123(2):503-11
- Schafer RJ, Lacadie C, Vohr B, Kesler SR, Katz KH, Schneider KC, Pugh KR, Makuch RW, Reiss AL, Constable RT, Ment LR. Alterations in functional connectivity for language in prematurely born adolescents. Brain. 2009 Mar;132(Pt 3):661-70.