Patients of the Yale Prostate and Urologic Cancers Program at Smilow Cancer Hospital benefit from a comprehensive, disease-based multispecialty team. Our physicians are recognized experts in urologic oncology (surgery), medical oncology, radiation oncology, pathology, and diagnostic imaging. This multidisciplinary team collaborates and coordinates each step of a patient’s care including diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment. The team provides a complete range of standard treatments, as well as medical and surgical approaches not found elsewhere in Connecticut.
Our Urologic Oncology team is composed of surgeons with extensive clinical experience and fellowship training in Urologic Oncology from the nation’s most prestigious training programs. Our team has expertise in laparoscopic and robotic surgery, as well as traditional open surgery. Patients who need radiation therapy as a component of their prescribed treatment can feel confident that they are receiving the highest quality care from the most experienced team of radiation oncologists in the State. Our medical oncology team has pioneered numerous treatments for patients with advanced cancers, including the discovery of the first truly effective treatment for metastatic prostate cancer.
Our patients also benefit from specialized resources at Smilow Cancer Hospital such as the newest imaging technologies. Our patients have access to caregivers who help them cope with the physical, emotional, and psychological issues related to these cancers. The extended team includes a health educator, social worker, dietitian, and a Complementary and Alternative Medicine program.
Among the comprehensive cutting edge capabilities available through the program are:
- Experience and knowledge in state-of-the-art treatment options and investigational therapies.
- Coordinated access to necessary physicians and specialized resources within Yale Cancer Center and Smilow Cancer Hospital.
- Urologic medical oncology expertise.
- Urologic laparoscopic and robotic surgery expertise, including nerve-sparing robotic prostatectomy and robotic partial nephrectomy
- National and international experience using chemotherapy and hormonal therapy in localized and advanced disease.
- Cutting edge radiation therapy technology, including 3D-CRT and IMRT.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic imaging - CT and MRI.
- Urologic expertise within every specialty.
- Comprehensive diagnosis and care for hereditary kidney cancer.
- Cutting edge clinical trials for patients with advanced prostate, bladder and kidney cancer.