Urinary Incontinence; Clinical Trial; Patch-Clamp Techniques; Urothelium
Dr. Chai's area of research interests include study of causes and treatment for urinary incontinence (UI, involuntary loss of urine). He has both laboratory and human research experience in studying UI. His laboratory has been studying bladder urothelial biology and how the urothelium regulates bladder function.
- Mucosal signaling in the bladder. Chai TC, Russo A, Yu S, Lu M. Auton Neurosci. 2015 Sep 24.
- The future of research in female pelvic medicine Chao J, Chai TC. Curr Urol Rep. 2015 Feb;16(2):2.
- Evidence for bladder urothelial pathophysiology in functional bladder disorders. Keay SK, Birder LA, Chai TC. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:865463.
- Risk factors for incomplete bladder emptying after midurethral sling. Norton PA, Nager CW, Chai TC, Mueller E, Stoddard A, Lowder J, Varner E, Lemack G; Urinary Incontinence Treatment Network. Urology. 2013 Nov;82(5):1038-41.
- Inflammatory and tissue remodeling urinary biomarkers before and after mid urethral sling surgery for stress urinary incontinence. Chai TC, Richter HE, Moalli P, Keay S, Biggio J, Zong W, Curto T, Kim HY, Stoddard AM, Kusek JW. J Urol. 2014 Mar;191(3):703-9.
- Urinary incontinence management costs are reduced following Burch or sling surgery for stress incontinence. Subak LL, Goode PS, Brubaker L, Kusek JW, Schembri M, Lukacz ES, Kraus SR, Chai TC, Norton P, Tennstedt SL; Urinary Incontinence Treatment Network. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Aug;211(2):171.e1-7.
- The cost of preoperative urodynamics: A secondary analysis of the ValUE trial. Norton PA, Nager CW, Brubaker L, Lemack GE, Sirls LT, Holley R, Chai TC, Kraus SR, Zyczynski H, Smith B, Stoddard A; Urinary Incontinence Treatment Network. Neurourol Urodyn. 2016 Jan;35(1):81-4.
- Ectopic ureter presenting as anterior wall vaginal prolapse. Chai TC, Davis R, Hawes LN, Twaddell WS. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2014 Jul-Aug;20(4):237-9.
- Elevated polyamines in urothelial cells from OAB subjects mediate oxotremorine-evoked rapid intracellular calcium rise and delayed acetylcholine release. Li M, Sun Y, Tomiya N, Hsu Y, Chai TC. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013 Aug 15;305(4):F445-50.
- Polyomavirus (BK)-associated pleomorphic giant cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a case report. Alexiev BA, Papadimitriou JC, Chai TC, Ramos E, Staats PN, Drachenberg CB. Pathol Res Pract. 2013 Apr;209(4):255-9.
- Alteration in TRPV1 and Muscarinic (M3) receptor expression and function in idiopathic overactive bladder urothelial cells. Birder LA, Wolf-Johnston AS, Sun Y, Chai TC. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2013 Jan;207(1):123-9.
- A randomized trial of urodynamic testing before stress-incontinence surgery Nager CW, Brubaker L, Litman HJ, Zyczynski HM, Varner RE, Amundsen C, Sirls LT, Norton PA, Arisco AM, Chai TC, et al. N Engl J Med. 2012 May 24;366(21):1987-97.
- Effects of concomitant surgeries during midurethral slings (MUS) on postoperative complications, voiding dysfunction, continence outcomes, and urodynamic variables Chai TC, Kenton K, Xu Y, Sirls L, Zyczynski H, Wilson TS, Rahn DD, Whitcomb EL, Hsu Y, Gormley EA. Urology. 2012 Jun;79(6):1256-61.