Cardiac Surgical Procedures; Pediatrics; Cardiovascular Surgical Procedures; Thoracic Surgical Procedures
Dr. Karimi’s clinical research interests include the development of improved surgical techniques and blood conservation measures to improve outcomes in pediatric cardiac operations. He has been practicing blood conservation cardiac surgery in children for the last 8 years, having sophisticated heart-lung bypass support and equipment which allows for limited or no blood transfusion during cardiac surgery. He has demonstrated that patients requiring less or no blood transfusion have lower need for heart medications, shorter ventilator support, lower complication rate, and much shorter length of stay in the hospital.
Specialized Terms: improved surgical techniques, including lower need for heart medications, shorter ventilator support, lower complication rate, and much shorter length of stay in the hospital; blood conservation measures to improve outcomes in pediatric cardiac operations; blood conservation in cardiac surgery; limited or no-blood transfusion during cardiac surgery.
- Karimi M, Kirshbom PM. Anomalous Origins of Coronary Arteries from the Pulmonary Artery: A Comprehensive Review of the Literature and Surgical Options. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery October 2015,6(4):526-540
- Mohsen Karimi, MD, Paul M. Kirshbom, MD, Gary S. Kopf, MD, Margaret M. Steele, PA, Jill M. Sullivan, PA. Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension in a Neonate with Transposition of Great Arteries and Intact Ventricular Septum: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. July 2015;6(3):462-5.
- Karimi M, Florentino-Pineda I, Weatherred T, Qadeer A, Rosenberg CA, Hudacko A, Ryu. Blood Conservation Surgery in Pediatric Cardiac Patients: A paradigm Shift to Blood Use. Ann Thorac Surg. March 2013;95:962-7.
- Karimi M, Vining M, Pellenberg R, Jajosky R. Papillary Fibroelastoma of Tricuspid Valve in a Pediatric Patient. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;96:1078–80
- Mohsen Karimi, MD, Carol Ann Rosenberg, BA, CCP, William Lutin, MD. Surgical Management of Modified Damus-Kaye-Stansel after Fontan Operation. Cardiol Young. 2013 Aug;23(4):613-6
- Mohsen Karimi, MD, Elise Hulsebus, PA, Henry Wiles, MD. A case of Complete Repair of Atrioventricular Canal with Cor Triatriatum & Straddling Chordae. World Journal for Pediatric & Congenital Heart Surgery. October 2012;3(4):515-517.
- Mohsen Karimi, MD, Elise Hulsebus, PA, William Lutin, MD. Reimplantation of Anomalous Single Coronary Artery from Pulmonary Artery: Diagnosis & Surgical Management. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Jan 2012;93(1):308-310.
- Mohsen Karimi, MD, Elise Hulsebus, PA, Henry Wiles, MD, Kenneth Murdison, MD. A Case of Hybrid Closure of a Muscular Ventricular Septal Defect: Anatomical Complexity & Surgical Management. Cardiology in the Young. June 2012;22(3):356-9.
- Karimi M, Murdison K, Blackwood W, Davis W. Reimplantation of anomalous right coronary artery from left main coronary artery: a surgical option. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010 April 4(10):642-644.
- Montgomery J, Henderson M, Ostrowsky J, Karimi M, Hennein H. Repair of Ventricular Aneurysm after Stage I Modified Sano-Norwood Procedure. Critical Nurse Care. April 2010;30(2):54-9.
- Mohsen Karimi, MD, Ahmed Farouk, MD, Alex Golden, MD, Robert Gilkeson, MD. Hybrid Palliation of Interrupted Aortic Arch in a High Risk Neonate. Annals of Pediatric Cardiology.2010:Vol3(1):74-76.
- Farouk A, Zahka K, Siwik E, Golden A, Karimi M, Uddin M, Hennein HA. Anomalous origin of the left coronary artery from the right pulmonary artery. J Card Surg. 2009 Jan-Feb;24(1):49-54.
- Farouk A, Zahka K, Siwik E, Erenberg F, Al-Khatib Y, Golden A, Karimi M, Uddin M, Hennein HA. Individualized approach to the surgical treatment of tetralogy of Fallot with pulmonary atresia. Cardiology Young. 2009 Feb;19(1):76-85.
- Mohsen Karimi, Ahmed Farouk, John Stork, Hani Hennein. Right ventricular aneurysm following modified Norwood-Sano operation for hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Interactive Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery. Aug. 2008;7(4):664-666.
- Ahmed Farouk, Mohsen Karimi, Mark Henderson, Jacob Ostrowsky, Ernest Siwik, and Hani Hennein. Cerebral regional oxygenation during aortic coarctation repair in pediatric population. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008 Jul;34(1):26-31.
- Beverly A. Rothermel, Kambeez Berenji, Paul Tannous, William Kutschke, Asim Dey, Bridgid Nolan, Ki-Dong Yoo, Elaine Demetroulis, Michael Gimbel, Barry Cabuay, Mohsen Karimi, Joseph A. Hill. Differential activation of stress-response signaling in load-induced cardiac hypertrophy and failure. Physiol. Genomics. Jul 20, 2005;23:18-27.
- Karimi M, Kerber RE, Everett JE. Mechanical Aortic Valve Malfunction: An Intraoperative BioGlue Complication. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. June 2005;129:1442-1443.
- Karimi M, Wang LX, Hammel JM, Mascio CE, Abudlhamid M, Barner EW, Scholz TD, Segar JL, Li WG, Niles SD, Caldarone CA. Neonatal Vulnerability to Ischemia Reperfusion: Cardioplegic arrest causes greater myocardial apoptosis in neonatal than mature lambs. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Feb 2004;127(2):490-7.
- Kernstine KH, DeArmond DT, Karimi, M, Van Natta TL, Campos JC, Yoder MR, Everett JE. The robotic, 2-stage, 3-field esophagolymphadenectomy. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. June 2004;127:490-497.
- Caldarone CA, Barner EW, Wang, LX, Karimi M, Mascio CE, Hammel JM, Segar JL, Changqing DU, Scholz TD. Apoptosis-related Mitochondrial Dysfunction in the Early Postoperative Neonatal Lamb Heart. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Sep. 2004;78: 948-955.
- Wang Z, Kutschke W, Richardson KE, Karimi M, Hill JA. Electrical remodeling in pressure-overload cardiac hypertrophy. Role of Calcineurin. Circulation. Oct 2, 2001;104(14):1657-63.
- Hill JA, Karimi M, Kutschke W, Davission RL, Zimmerman K, Wang Z, Kerber RE, Weiss RM. Cardiac hypertrophy is not a required compensatory response to short-term pressure overload. Circulation. June 20, 2000;101(24):2863-9.
- Rockman HA, Ono S, Ross RS, Jones LR, Karimi M, Bhargava V, Ross J Jr, Chien KR. Molecular and physiological alterations in murine ventricular dysfunction. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of United States of America. Mar 29, 1994;91(7):2694-8.
- Movesesian MD, Karimi M, Green K, Jones LR. Ca2+-transporting ATPase, Phospholamban, and Calsequestrin levels in nonfailing and failing human myocardium. Circulation. Aug. 1994;90(2):653-7.