What Is 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome?
22q11.2 deletion syndrome is a genetic disorder. It is linked to over 180 different health issues, though your child may not have every issue. The most common issues include:
- Cleft palate
- Heart defects
- Facial differences
- Learning problems
- Speech problems
- Feeding or breathing issues
When a baby is born with a birth defect, it is normal for the parents to feel frightened and overwhelmed. Parents have many questions about the treatment and prognosis. Our focus is to provide your child with compassionate, state-of-the-art care from some of the nation’s top surgeons and specialists while making sure you understand and feel comfortable with every step of the treatment process.
Other health issues include:
- Tapered fingers or extra toes
- Issues with the cervical spine
- Issues with the muscles in the back of the mouth, which can lead to speech problems
- Issues with cells that fight infection
Pediatric Specialty Center
New Haven, CT 06510