Pediatrics; Uganda; Global Health; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation; Healthcare Disparities
I am interested in training and research to develop capacity for surgery in resource-limited settings. While my primary clinical interest in in surgical services for children, I am broadly interested in sustainable collaborations to improve surgery and perioperative care in low-income countries.
Specialized Terms: Global health; Global surgery; Health disparities; Access to care; Burden of surgical disease; Partnerships and collaboration; Uganda; Capacity-building; Pediatric surgery
Extensive Research Description
I am interested in collaborative capacity-building efforts for surgery and perioperative care in resource-poor settings. Specifically, I have been part of efforts to improve surgery and peri-operative care in Uganda over the last ten years, primarily through the group Global Partners in Anesthesia and Surgery (www.globalpas.org). We have focused on education and training as well as research on the burden of surgical disease, the neglect of the global surgical workforce, epidemiology and access to surgical care in resource-poor countries, and global health disparities, across a wide range of surgical specialties. Specific areas have included trauma training and trauma care, measurement of injury mortality and disparities, and pediatric surgery. I have also been working with international colleagues to advocate for the role of surgery within global health, through individual partnerships, academic and non-governmental organizations, and professional societies. We are especially interested in the public health aspects of surgical conditions in these settings. I also am interested in surgical education, and clinical research.
Capacity Building in Surgery and Perioperative Care in Uganda
Burden of Pediatric Surgical Conditions in Resource-Limited Settings
Metrics for Burden and Access to Surgical Care in Resource Limited Settings
Advocacy for Surgery within Global Health
Effective Global Health Partnerships
A square peg in a round hole: Challenges with DALY-based burden of disease calculations and a call for alternative metrics
R Gosselin, D Ozgediz, D Poenaru “ A square peg in a round hole: Challenges with DALY-based burden of disease calculations and a call for alternative metrics” World Journal of Surgery August 2013
Surgery and anesthesia capacity building in resource-poor settings: description of an ongoing academic partnership in Uganda.
M Lipnick, C. Mijumbi, G Dubowitz, S Kaggwa, L Goetz, J Mabweijano, S Jayaraman, A Kwizera, J Tindimwebwa, D Ozgediz. Surgery and anesthesia capacity building in resource-poor settings: description of an ongoing academic partnership in Uganda. World Journal of Surgery 2013 37(3) 488-497
The burden of pediatric surgical conditions in low and middle income countries: a call to action
D Ozgediz and D Poenaru. The burden of pediatric surgical conditions in low and middle income countries: a call to action. Journal of Pediatric Surgery 2012 47(12) 2305-2311
Surgery in global health delivery.
D Ozgediz, K Chu, N Ford, G Dubowitz, AG Bedada, G Azzie, JT Gerstle, R Riviello, “Surgery in Global Health Delivery” Mt. Sinai J Med 2011 78(3) 327-41.
Key aspects of health policy development to improve surgical services in Uganda
S Luboga, M Galukande, J Mabweijano, D Ozgediz, S Jayaraman “Key aspects of health policy development to improve surgical services in Uganda” World Journal of Surgery(2010) 34:11 2511-17.
First things first: Effectiveness and Scalability of a Basic Prehospital Trauma Care Program for Lay First-Responders in Kampala, Uganda
S. Jayaraman, J. Mabweijano, M. Lipnick, N. Caldwell, J. Miyamoto, C. Mijumbi, R. Hsia, R. Dicker, D. Ozgediz “First things first: Effectiveness and Scalability of a Basic Prehospital Trauma Care Program for Lay First-Responders in Kampala, Uganda” PLOS One 2009 Sept 11: 4(9) e6955.
Essential surgery: integral to the right to health
Kelly McQueen, Doruk Ozgediz, Robert Riviello, Renee Hsia, Sudha Jayaraman, Steven Sullivan, John Meara “Essential surgery: integral to the right to health’” Health and Human Rights Journal (2010) 12:1 137-152
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Cheung M, Kakembo N, Muzira A, Sekabira J, Ozgediz D: Not gastroschisis or omphalocele or anything in between: a novel congenital abdominal wall defect. Pediatr Surg Int. 2017 Mar 7; 2017 Mar 7. PMID: 28271155
- Toobaie A, Emil S, Ozgediz D, Krishnaswami S, Poenaru D: Pediatric surgical capacity in Africa: Current status and future needs. J Pediatr Surg. 2017 Jan 29; 2017 Jan 29. PMID: 28168989
- Wesonga AS, Fitzgerald TN, Kabuye R, Kirunda S, Langer M, Kakembo N, Ozgediz D, Sekabira J: Gastroschisis in Uganda: Opportunities for improved survival. J Pediatr Surg. 2016 Nov; 2016 Jul 27. PMID: 27516176
- Saxton AT, Poenaru D, Ozgediz D, Ameh EA, Farmer D, Smith ER, Rice HE: Economic Analysis of Children's Surgical Care in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Systematic Review and Analysis. PLoS One. 2016; 2016 Oct 28. PMID: 27792792
- Healy JM, Olgun LF, Hittelman AB, Ozgediz D, Caty MG: Pediatric incidental appendectomy: a systematic review. Pediatr Surg Int. 2016 Apr; 2015 Nov 21. PMID: 26590816
- Kakembo N, Kisa P, Fitzgerald T, Ozgediz D, Sekabira J: Colonic polyposis in a 15 year-old boy: Challenges and lessons from a rural resource-poor area. Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2016 May; 2016 Mar 29. PMID: 27144002
- Cameron DB, Scherl A, Fitzgerald T, Ozgediz D: Colonic Diverticulitis in a 19-Year-Old Boy With Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: Surgical Implications of Chronic Immunosuppression. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26799279
- Greenberg SL, Ng-Kamstra JS, Ameh EA, Ozgediz DE, Poenaru D, Bickler SW: An investment in knowledge: Research in global pediatric surgery for the 21st century. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2016 Feb; 2015 Sep 25. PMID: 26831138
- Ozgediz D, Langer M, Kisa P, Poenaru D: Pediatric surgery as an essential component of global child health. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2016 Feb; 2015 Sep 15. PMID: 26831131
- Livingston MH, DCruz J, Pemberton J, Ozgediz D, Poenaru D: Mortality of pediatric surgical conditions in low and middle income countries in Africa. J Pediatr Surg. 2015 May; 2015 Feb 20. PMID: 25783373
- Badrinath R, Kakembo N, Kisa P, Langer M, Ozgediz D, Sekabira J: Outcomes and unmet need for neonatal surgery in a resource-limited environment: estimates of global health disparities from Kampala, Uganda. J Pediatr Surg. 2014 Dec; 2014 Oct 1. PMID: 25487493
- Fonseca AL, Ozgediz DE, Christison-Lagay ER, Detterbeck FC, Caty MG: Pediatric thymomas: report of two cases and comprehensive review of the literature. Pediatr Surg Int. 2014 Mar; 2013 Dec 10. PMID: 24322668
- Poenaru D, Ozgediz D, Gosselin RA: Burden, need, or backlog: a call for improved metrics for the global burden of surgical disease. Int J Surg. 2014; 2014 Feb 4. PMID: 24503122
- Ozgediz D, Poenaru D: The burden of pediatric surgical conditions in low and middle income countries: a call to action. J Pediatr Surg. 2012 Dec. PMID: 23217895