Our long term research interest is to improve cancer treatment by targeting specific cancer defects.
Currently we are working on:
1. Association between human papilloma virus and the development of head and neck cancer.
2. Link between human papilloma virus and DNA damage signaling and repair in head and neck cancer.
3. Cellular and small molecules modulators of p53 expression and functions;
4. Designing of novel therapeutic strategies to target specific tumors exploiting their various defects.
- Downregulation of SMG-1 in HPV-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma due to promoter hypermethylation correlates with improved survival. Evgenia Gubanova, Brandee Brown, Sergei V. Ivanov, Thomas Helleday, Wendell G. Yarbrough and Natalia Issaeva.
- Natalia Issaeva, Huw D. Thomas, Tatjana Djurenovic, Janneke E. Jaspers, Ivaylo Stoimenov, Suzanne Kyle, Nicholas Pedley, Ponnari Gottipati, Rafal Zur, Kate Sleeth, Vicky Chatzakos, Evan Mulligan, Cecilia Lundin, Evgenia Gubanova, Ariena Kersbergen, Adrian
- Eva Petermann, Manuel Lui´s Orta, Natalia Issaeva, Niklas Schultz, and Thomas Helleday. Hydroxyurea-stalled replication forks become progressively inactivated and require two different RAD51-mediated pathways for restart and repair. Mol Cell, 2010 Feb
- Bryant HE, Petermann E, Schultz N, Jemth AS, Loseva O, Issaeva N, Johansson F, Fernandez S, McGlynn P, Helleday T. PARP is activated at stalled forks to mediate Mre11-dependent replication restart and recombination. EMBO J, 2009 Sep 2;28(17):2601-15.
- Bartkova J, Rezaei N, Liontos M, Karakaidos P, Kletsas D, Issaeva N, Vassiliou LV, Kolettas E, Niforou K, Zoumpourlis VC, Takaoka M, Nakagawa H, Tort F, Fugger K, Johansson F, Sehested M, Andersen CL, Dyrskjot L, Orntoft T, Lukas J, Kittas C, Helleday T,
- V.Bykov, N.Issaeva, N.Zache, A.Shilov, M.Hultcrantz, J.Bergman, G.Selivanova, K.G.Wiman. Reactivation of mutant p53 and induction of apoptosis in human tumor cells by maleimide analogs. J Biol Che,. 2005 Aug 26;280(34):30384-91.
- Natalia Issaeva, Przemyslaw Bozko, Martin Enge, Marina Protopopova, Lisette G.G.C. Verhoef, Maria Masucci, Aladdin Pramanik, and Galina Selivanova. Small molecule RITA binds to p53, blocks p53-HDM-2 interaction and activates p53 function in tumors. Nature
- Natalia Issaeva#, Assaf Friedler#, Przemyslaw Bozko, Klas G. Wiman, Alan R. Ferst* and Galina Selivanova*. Rescue of mutants of the tumour suppressor p53 in cancer cells by a designed peptide. PNAS, 2003 Nov 11;100(23):13303-7.
- V.Bykov, N.Issaeva, A.Shilov, M.Hultcrantz, E.Pugacheva, P.Chumakov, J.Bergman, K.G.Wiman, and G. Selivanova. Restoration of the Tumor Suppressor Function to Mutant p53 by a Low Molecular Weight Compound. Nature Medicine, March 2002, 8(3):282-288.