Our Partners Include:
- The Department of Otolaryngology at the Nelson Mandela School of Medicine in Durban, South Africa.
- The ENT Department at Edendale Hospital (tertiary referral hospital) in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.
- Two trips this year with both Yale ENT residents and attendings
- Experience expanded to three sites; a remote rural South African hospital (Tugela Ferry), a major tertiary referral hospital (Pietermaritzburg) and an academic medical center (Durban), providing a remarkable breadth of experience
- Host a South African ENT resident at Yale
- Coordinate two small educational symposia promoting a forum for the exchange of ideas. South African ENTs have extensive training and experience but lack access to subspecialty training. Our Yale participants stand to gain a substantial appreciation for providing excellent care in the unique health care environment of South Africa, as well as the impact of HIV and Tuberculosis.
Empowered by this partnership, we are working to expand access to surgical care in the region by strengthening the referral pathways from the rural areas to these major hospital centers.
Building a South African Exchange Program: Update and Future Goals - Spring 2017
Building a South African Exchange Program: Update and Future Goals - Fall 2016