As of fiscal year 2013 Yale research has had 1,815 awards totaling $510.4 million, 416 U.S. and 704 worldwide active patents for Yale inventions, and 58 Yale-founded biotech companies.
The School of Medicine has extraordinary strength in the basic sciences and consistently ranks in the top handful of medical schools receiving funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Productive and prominent programs in basic, clinical, and translational research are fundamental to the development of clinical excellence and our academic mission. Our surgeons actively conduct leading-edge studies that significantly contribute to the science of cardiac health and care.
Current research programs include:
- Aortic Aneurysmal Disease Research - John Elefteriades, MD
- Congenital Heart Disease Surgical Treatments and Cardiovascular Surgery in Low Birth Weight Neonates Research - Gary Kopf, MD
- "Cooling Catheter" for Protecting the Spinal Cord From Ischemic Injury During Aortic Surgery - John Elefteriades, MD
- New Mechanical Cardiac Support Devices - Abeel Mangi, MD
- Surgical Treatment of Congenital Heart Disease and Cardiovascular Surgery in Low Birth Weight Neonates Research - Gary Kopf, MD
- Trans-catheter therapies for heart valve disorders - Abeel Mangi, MD
- Vascular Biology and Transplantation Immunology - George Tellides, MD, PhD
- Wireless Energy Transfer - Pramod Bonde, MD