Anesthesiology; Biomedical Engineering; Biophysics; Blood Vessels; Lung; Physics; Tissue Engineering
Stem Cell Center, Yale: Stem Cell Niche and Homing
Dr. Niklason is Professor of Anesthesia and Biomedical Engineering at Yale. She received her Bachelors degrees in Physics and Biophysics from the University of Illinois, and went on to the University of Chicago for her PhD in Biophysics in 1988. Dr. Niklason subsequently received her MD from the University of Michigan, where she did her internship. She then went on to the Massachusetts General Hospital for residency in Anesthesia, followed by fellowship training in Critical Care Medicine. During her time in Boston, Dr. Niklason was also a post-doctoral researcher at MIT with Dr. Robert Langer, where she developed techniques for the tissue engineering of autologous arteries. Dr. Niklason joined the faculty at Duke University in 1998, where she continued her work in cardiovascular tissue engineering, and founded a biotechnology company designed to bring tissue engineered cardiovascular products to the clinic. Dr. Niklason has received national and international recognition for her work in this field, receiving the Discover Magazine award for Technological Innovation in 2000. In January of 2006, Niklason moved to Yale University, where she is expanding her research program in tissue engineering of blood vessels and lung, as well as understanding the basic aspects of cellular aging.
Specialized Terms: Anesthesiology; Biomedical Engineering; Biophysics; Physics
Extensive Research Description
Currently, Dr. Niklason's research program has several areas of focus. With regard to engineered arteries. Niklason is engaged in preclinical studies in large animals to validate the method for generating engineered tissues that are available "off the shelf". Large animal studies on vascular grafts are centered on immune/inflammatory response minimization to these off-the-shelf tissues, and on the long-term function of the grafts in the arterial circulation. In addition, Niklason is developing tissue engineering approaches to generating vascularized cardiac muscle, as well as vascularized lung tissue. In addition, Niklason has active research interests in vascular remodeling that is associated with various disease states, including atherosclerosis and arterial vaso spasm.
- Tissue engineered arteries, utilizing decellularization approaches
- Regeneration of whole, functional lung tissue
- Engineering of thoracic conduits, including trachea and esophagus
- Investigation of the molecular basis of cellular aging in various tissues
- Investigation of causes of intimal hyperplasia in vein grafts
- Raredon MS, Niklason LE. A call to craft. Science translational medicine. 2014;6(218):218fs1. PubMed PMID: 24401937.
- Mendez JJ, Ghaedi M, Sivarapatna A, Dimitrievska S, Shao Z, Osuji CO, Steinbacher DM, Leffell DJ, Niklason LE. Mesenchymal stromal cells form vascular tubes when placed in fibrin sealant and accelerate wound healing in vivo. Biomaterials. 2014. PubMed PMID: 25433608.
- Ghaedi M, Calle EA, Mendez JJ, Gard AL, Balestrini J, Booth A, Bove PF, Gui L, White ES, Niklason LE. Human iPS cell-derived alveolar epithelium repopulates lung extracellular matrix. The Journal of clinical investigation. 2013;123(11):4950-62. PubMed PMID: 24135142; PMCID: PMC3809786.
- Zhou J, Niklason LE. Microfluidic artificial "vessels" for dynamic mechanical stimulation of mesenchymal stem cells. Integrative biology : quantitative biosciences from nano to macro. 2012;4(12):1487-97. PubMed PMID: 23114826.
- Petersen TH, Calle EA, Zhao L, Lee EJ, Gui L, Raredon MB, Gavrilov K, Yi T, Zhuang ZW, Breuer C, Herzog E, Niklason LE. Tissue-engineered lungs for in vivo implantation. Science. 2010;329(5991):538-41. PubMed PMID: 20576850; PMCID: PMC3640463.
- Quint C, Kondo Y, Manson RJ, Lawson JH, Dardik A, Niklason LE. Decellularized tissue-engineered blood vessel as an arterial conduit. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2011;108(22):9214-9. PubMed PMID: 21571635; PMCID: PMC3107282.
- Dahl SL, Kypson AP, Lawson JH, Blum JL, Strader JT, Li Y, Manson RJ, Tente WE, DiBernardo L, Hensley MT, Carter R, Williams TP, Prichard HL, Dey MS, Begelman KG, Niklason LE. Readily available tissue-engineered vascular grafts. Science translational medicine. 2011;3(68):68ra9. PubMed PMID: 21289273.
- Calle EA, Hill RC, Leiby KL, Le AV, Madri JA, Hansen KC, Niklason LE. Targeted proteomics effectively quantifies differences between native lung and detergent-decellularized lung extracellular matrices. Acta Biomater. 2016;45:91-100.
- Zhao L, Sundaram S, Le AV, Huang AH, Zhang J, Hatachi G, Beloiartsev A, Caty MG, Yi T, Leiby K, Gard A, Kural MH, Gui L, Rocco KA, Sivarapatna A, Calle E, Greaney A, Urbani L, Maghsoudlou P, Burns A, Decoppi P, Niklason LE. Engineered Tissue-Stent Biocomposites as Tracheal Replacements. Tissue Eng Part A. 2016;22(17-18):1086-97.
- Kristofik N, Calabro NE, Tian W, Meng A, MacLauchlan S, Wang Y, Breuer CK, Tellides G, Niklason LE, Kyriakides TR. Impaired von Willebrand factor adhesion and platelet response in thrombospondin-2 knockout mice. Blood. 2016;128(12):1642-50.
- Dimitrievska S, Gui L, Weyers A, Lin T, Cai C, Wu W, Tuggle CT, Sundaram S, Balestrini JL, Slattery D, Tchouta L, Kyriakides TR, Tarbell JM, Linhardt RJ, Niklason LE. New Functional Tools for Antithrombogenic Activity Assessment of Live Surface Gycocalyx. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016;36(9):1847-53.
- Gui L, Dash BC, Luo J, Qin L, Zhao L, Yamamoto K, Hashimoto T, Wu H, Dardik A, Tellides G, Niklason LE, Qyang Y. Implantable tissue0engineered blood vessels from human induced pluripotent stem cells. Biomaterials. 2016;102:120-9.
- Balestrini JL, Gard AL, Gerhold KA, Wilcox EC, Liu A, Schwan J, Le AV, Baevova P, Dimitrievska S, Zhao L, Sundaram S, Sun H, Rittie L, Dyal R, Broekelmann TJ, Mecham RP, Schwartz MA, Niklason LE, White ES. Comparative biology of decellularized lung matrix: Implications of species mismatch in regenerative medicine. Biomaterials. 2016;102:220-30.
- Lawson JH, Glickman MH, Ilzecki M, Jakimowicz T, Jaroszynski A, Peden EK, Pilgrim AJ, Prichard HL, Guziewicz M, Przywara S, Szmidt J, Turek J, Witkiewicz W, Zapotoczny N, Zubilewicz T, Niklason LE. Bioengineered humam acellular vessels for dialysis in patients with end-stage renal disease: two phase 2 single-arm trials. Lancet. 2016;387(10032):2026-34.
- Tsuchiya T, Mendez J, Calle EA, Hatachi G, Doi R, Zhao L, Suematsu T, Nagayasu T, Niklason LE. Ventilation-based decellularization system of the lung. Biores Open Access. 2016; 5(1):118-26.
- Huang HA, Balestrini JL, Udelsman BV, Zhou KC, Zhao L, Ferruzzi J, Starcher BC, Levene MJ, Humphrey JD, Niklason LE. Biaxial strectch improves elastic fiber maturation, collagen arrangement, and mechanical properties in engineered arteries. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2016; 22(6):524-33.
- Raredon MS, Rocco KA, Gheorghe CP, Sivarapatna A, Ghaedi M, Balestrini JL, Raredon TL, Calee EA, Niklason LE. Biomimetic culture reactor for whole-lung engineering. Biores Open Access. 2016;5(1):72-83.