Brent Moore PhD
Associate Research Scientist in Psychiatry; Research Psychologist (VA)
Automated mobile treatment for chronic disorders including substance abuse, HIV, and chronic pain; Primary care treatment for substance abuse and chronic pain; Implementation research; Addictions; Cannabis dependence; Substance abuse treatment; HIV; Chronic pain
We are currently developing and evaluating, the Recovery Line, a computer-based therapeutic interactive voice response (TIVR) system for opioid dependent individuals receiving opioid agonist maintenance.
Check my twitter account for recent updates @brentamoore
My primary research focuses on ways to make treatment for substance abuse more accessible, attractive, and effective to a broad range of individuals.
I am particularly interested in developing and evaluating a computer-based treatment for substance abuse. This type of treatment is particularly relevant for rural settings where access to counselors and therapeutic treatments are either unavailable or unfeasible. Currently we are developing and evaluating a computer-based system, to provide daily cognitive and behavioral treatment (CBT) via telephone to opioid dependent patients who are receiving buprenorphine maintenance in a primary care setting. My second line of research involves the examination of characteristics of marijuana dependence and its treatment. Over the past several years I have been involved in a number of studies evaluating withdrawal from chronic marijuana use, effects of marijuana on the respiratory symptom, relapse following treatment, characteristics predicting treatment outcome, and contingency management for marijuana dependence. I recently completed a NIDA funded pilot study evaluating a medication for marijuana dependence.
- Edelman, E.J., Moore, B.A., Caffrey, S., Sikkema, K.J., Jones, E., Paltiel, D., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Sullivan L.E. (in press). HIV testing and a sexual risk reduction counseling intervention in opioid-dependent patients treated with buprenorphine: A pilot randomized trial. Journal of Addiction Medicine.
- Moore, B.A., Fazzino, T., Barry, D.T., Cutter, C.J., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Ball, S. (2013). The Recovery Line: A pilot trial of automated, telephone-based treatment for continued drug use in methadone maintenance. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 45, 63-69. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsat.2012.12.011 PMID:23375114 PMCID: In process.
- Barry, D.T., Savant, J., Beitel, M., Cutter, C.J., Moore, B.A., Schottenfeld, R.S., & Fiellin, D.A. (2013). Pain and associated substance use among opioid dependent individuals seeking office-based treatment with buprenorphine-naloxone: A needs assessment study. American Journal on Addictions. DOI: 10.1111/j.1521-0391.2013.00327.x
- Fiellin D.A., Barry, D.T., Sullivan, L.E., Cutter, C.J., Moore, B.A., O'Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2013). A randomized trial of cognitive behavioral therapy in primary care-based buprenorphine. American Journal of Medicine, 126, 74.e11-74.e.17. PMID: 23260506 PMCID - in process.
- Moore, B.A., Barry, D.T., Cutter, C.J., Sullivan, L.E., O’Connor, P.G., Schottenfeld, R.S., & Fiellin, D.A. (2012). Counseling and directly observed medication for primary care buprenorphine/naloxone maintenance: A pilot study. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 6, 205-211. PMID: 22614936 PMCID: PMC3419276 doi: 10.1097/ADM.0b013e3182596492
- Barry, D.T., Savant, J.D., Beitel, M., Cutter, C.J., Moore, B.A., Schottenfeld, R.S., & Fiellin, D.A (2012). Use of conventional, complementary, and alternative treatments for pain among individuals seeking primary care treatment with buprenorphine-naloxone. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 6, 174-179. DOI:10.1097/ADM.0b013e31826d1df3.
- Tetrault, J.M., Moore, B.A., Barry, D.T., O’Connor, P.G., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Sullivan, L.E. (2012). Brief versus extended counseling for HIV clinic based buprenorphine treatment of opioid dependence. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 43, 433-439. doi:10.1016/j.jsat.2012.07.011
- Edelman, E.J., Dinh, A., Moore, B.A., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Sullivan, L.E. (2012). Human Immunodeficiency Virus testing practices among buprenorphine-prescribing physicians. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 6, 159-165. PMID: 22367499. PMCID - in process.
- Schackman, B.R., Leff, J.A., Polsky, D., Moore, B.A., & Fiellin, D.A. (2012). Cost-effectiveness of long-term outpatient Buprenorphine-Naloxone treatment for opioid dependence in primary care. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 27:669-676. PMID: 22215271. PMCID PMC3358393.
- Moore, B.A., Fazzino, T., Garnet, B., Cutter, C. & Barry, D. (2011). Computer-based interventions for drug use disorders: A systematic review. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 40, 215-223. PMID: 21185683 PMCID:PMC3073660. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3073660/