Anxiety Disorders; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation; Mood Disorders; Substance-Related Disorders; Sexual and Gender Disorders
Psychiatry: Center for Wellbeing of Women and Mothers | Neuroscience Research Training Program (NRTP) | Psychological Medicine Service | Psychotherapy Development Center | Women's Behavioral Health Research, Division of | Yale Mood Disorders Research Program
Discovery to Cure Internship
Through research, I am committed to servicing women who suffer from mood and anxiety disorders. My specific interests have included sex differences in these conditions as well as the relationship and treatment of mood, anxiety and substance use disorder occurring during the premenstrual phase of the menstrual cycle and during pregnancy and parturition. My research foci are several and include determining the efficacy and effectiveness of pharmacological treatments of perinatal mood disorders substance use disorders and PMDD, determine the degree of health care utilization among women with PMDD and perinatal depression and investigating the impact of perinatal depressive, anxiety and substance use disorders on birth outcomes.
Extensive Research Description
My longstanding interest has been investigations into the clinical course, etiopathology and treatment of psychiatric disorders as they occur in women. A major component of this work includes investigations into the occurrence and treatment of illnesses in pregnancy and the postpartum period, and across the menstrual cycle. This area, by its nature, cuts across disciplines and requires psychiatric expertise, as well as knowledge in neuroscience and reproductive biology.
Reciprocally, I have been involved in the assessment of the effects that psychiatric illnesses and their treatments, have on perinatal outcomes. In a cohort study funded by NICHD, we recruited approximately 2800 women and interviewed them three times during pregnancy. We are assessing whether depression is a risk factor for preterm delivery, independent of antidepressant treatment. This large prospective cohort study includes information on maternal psychiatric illness, antidepressant treatment and other obstetrical risk factors.
Ongoing NIDA studies are assessing the comorbidity, course, consequences and treatment of hazardous substance use in pregnancy and the immediate postpartum time. This study entails following a large cohort of pregnant women who used drugs or alcohol in pregnancy and testing a behavioral treatment for drug and alcohol use. This rich, longitudinal data set also provides information on the clinical course of substance use disorders in pregnancy and after delivery.
- Symptom onset study for premenstrual dysphoric disorder
- Screening and referral for women with substance misuse
- Progesterone as a treatment for postpartum cocaine use
- Implementation of motivational interviewing in the general hospital setting
Criteria for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD): Secondary Analyses of Relevant Data Sets
Hartlage SA, Freels SA, Gotman N, Yonkers KA. Criteria for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD): Secondary Analyses of Relevant Data Sets. Archives of General Psychiatry. 2012;69(3):300-305. PMC3370334
Motivational Enhancement Therapy Coupled with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy versus Brief Advice; A Randomized Trial for Treatment of Hazardous Substance Use in Pregnancy and After Delivery
Yonkers KA, Forray A, Howell HB, Gotman N, Kershaw T, Rounsaville BJ, Carroll KM. Motivational Enhancement Therapy Coupled with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy versus Brief Advice; A Randomized Trial for Treatment of Hazardous Substance Use in Pregnancy and After Delivery. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2012: 34 (5): 439-449.
- Major depressive disorder and serotonin reuptake inhibitor treatment as risk factors for preterm birth Yonkers KA, Norwitz ER, Smith MV , Lockwood CJ, Gotman N, Lin H, Luchansky E, Belanger K. Major depressive disorder and serotonin reuptake inhibitor treatment as risk factors for preterm birth. Epidemiology, 2012: Vol 23 (5): 677-685. PMCID: 3415566
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: Evidence for a New Category for the DSM-5
Epperson CN, Steiner M, Hartlage SA, Eriksson E, Schmidt PE, Jones I, Yonkers KA. Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: Evidence for a New Category for the DSM-5. American Journal of Psychiatry, 2012: 169(5); 465-475.
Does Antidepressant Use Attenuate The Risk Of A Major Depressive Episode In Pregnancy?
Yonkers KA, Gotman N, Smith MV , Forray A, Belanger K, Brunetto W, Lin H, Burkman RT, Zelop CM, Lockwood CJ. Does Antidepressant Use Attenuate The Risk Of A Major Depressive Episode In Pregnancy? Epidemiology, 2011:22; 848-854.
Evaluation of a social support measure that may indicate risk of depression during pregnancy
Spoozak L, Gotman N, Smith MV, Belanger K, Yonkers KA (Sep 2008) Evaluation of a social support measure that may indicate risk of depression during pregnancy, Journal of Affective Disorders
Pharmacologic treatment of postpartum women with new-onset major depressive disorder: a randomized controlled trial with paroxetine
Yonkers KA, Lin H, Howell HB, Heath AC, Cohen LS (Apr 2008) Pharmacologic treatment of postpartum women with new-onset major depressive disorder: a randomized controlled trial with paroxetine, The Journal of clinical psychiatry, 69(4)659-65
Yonkers KA, O'Brien PM, Eriksson E (Apr 2008) Premenstrual syndrome, Lancet, 371(9619)1200-10
Typical somatic symptoms of pregnancy and their impact on a diagnosis of major depressive disorder
Yonkers KA, Smith MV, Gotman N, Belanger K. Typical somatic symptoms of pregnancy and their impact on a diagnosis of major depressive disorder General Hospital Psychiatry, 2009; 31(4); 327-333.
A treatment for substance abusing pregnant women
Yonkers KA, Howell H, Allen A, Ball S, Pantalon M, Rounsaville B. A treatment for substance abusing pregnant women. Archives of Women's Mental Health 2009; 4(12): 221-225.
Depression screening of perinatal women: evaluation of the Healthy Start Depression Initiative
Yonkers KA, Smith MV, Lin H, Howell HB, Shao L, Rosenheck RA. Depression screening of perinatal women: evaluation of the Healthy Start Depression Initiative. Psychiatric Services, 2009,60(3):322-328.
- Success of mental health referral among pregnant and postpartum women with psychiatric distress Smith MV, Shao L, Howell HB, Wang H, Poschman K, Yonkers KA, Success of mental health referral among pregnant and postpartum women with psychiatric distress. General Hospital Psychiatry. 31 (2): 155-162.
- Symptom-onset dosing of sertraline for the treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorder: A multi-site, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. 1. Yonkers KA, Kornstein SG, Gueorguieva R, Merry B, Van Steenburgh K, Altemus M. Symptom-onset dosing of sertraline for the treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorder: A multi-site, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 2015; 72: 957-1064.
- Perinatal substance use: A prospective evaluation of abstinence and relapse. 1. Forray F, Merry B, Lin H, Prah-Ruger J, Yonkers KA. Perinatal substance use: A prospective evaluation of abstinence and relapse. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2015; 150:147-155.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Yonkers KA: Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids, and Perinatal Depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Oct 15. PMID: 28935095
- Yonkers KA, Gilstad-Hayden K, Forray A, Lipkind HS: Association of Panic Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Benzodiazepine Treatment During Pregnancy With Risk of Adverse Birth Outcomes. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017 Sep 13; 2017 Sep 13. PMID: 28903165
- Yonkers KA, Forray A, Smith MV: Maternal Antidepressant Use and Pregnancy Outcomes. JAMA. 2017 Aug 15. PMID: 28810017
- Yonkers KA, Simoni MK: Premenstrual disorders. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017 May 29; 2017 May 29. PMID: 28571724
- Yonkers KA, Forray A, Nich C, Carroll KM, Hine C, Merry BC, Shaw H, Shaw J, Sofuoglu M: Progesterone Reduces Cocaine Use in Postpartum Women with a Cocaine Use Disorder: A Randomized,Double-Blind Study. Lancet Psychiatry. 2014 Oct 1. PMID: 25328863
- Cole-Lewis HJ, Kershaw TS, Earnshaw VA, Yonkers KA, Lin H, Ickovics JR: Pregnancy-specific stress, preterm birth, and gestational age among high-risk young women. Health Psychol. 2014 Sep; 2014 Jan 20. PMID: 24447189
- Yonkers KA, Smith MV, Forray A, Epperson CN, Costello D, Lin H, Belanger K: Pregnant women with posttraumatic stress disorder and risk of preterm birth. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014 Aug. PMID: 24920287
- Yonkers KA, Pearlstein TB, Gotman N: A pilot study to compare fluoxetine, calcium, and placebo in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2013 Oct. PMID: 23963058
- Yonkers KA, Vigod S, Ross LE: Diagnosis, pathophysiology, and management of mood disorders in pregnant and postpartum women. Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Apr. PMID: 21422871
- Yonkers KA, Howell HB, Allen AE, Ball SA, Pantalon MV, Rounsaville BJ: A treatment for substance abusing pregnant women. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2009 Aug; 2009 Apr 7. PMID: 19350369
- Yonkers KA, Smith MV, Gotman N, Belanger K: Typical somatic symptoms of pregnancy and their impact on a diagnosis of major depressive disorder. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2009 Jul-Aug; 2009 Apr 15. PMID: 19555792
- Cunningham J, Yonkers KA, O'Brien S, Eriksson E: Update on research and treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2009. PMID: 19373620
- Yonkers KA, O'Brien PM, Eriksson E: Premenstrual syndrome. Lancet. 2008 Apr 5. PMID: 18395582