Child Psychiatry; Chronic Disease; Neurobiology; Neurosciences; Psychiatry; Relaxation; Stress, Psychological; Substance-Related Disorders
Psychiatry: Addictions, Division of | Connecticut Mental Health Center: Division of Substance Abuse | Neuroscience Research Training Program (NRTP) | Psychology Section | Psychotherapy Development Center | Stress & Addiction Clinical Research Program
South Asian Studies
Clinical neurobiology of stress, emotion and relaxation, stress coping and regulation, emotion dysregulation, effects of stress and emotion dysregulation on desire for reward, dysfunctional motivation and addictive behaviors, such as, alcohol use, smoking, high calorie food intake, drug abuse, sex, gambling and emerging technology. Mechanisms underlying sex differences in stress neurobiology, and interaction with motivational processes and effects on health outcomes is integral to this research area. The neurobiology of relaxation and its effect on resilience and chronic stress and emotion dysregulation is also being studied. An additional interest is in developing treatments to target stress-related relapse in addictive behaviors. We’ve developed and validated a laboratory and neuroimaging model of stress-induced and hedonic cue-induced craving and engagement in addictive behaviors. The laboratory model characterizes the compulsive craving state and is being applied to test new pharmacological and psychological interventions to reduce craving and maladaptive behaviors. Individual difference variables such as gender, genetics, early trauma, chronic stress, prefrontal cognitive functioning that may modulate responses to stress and urges are also being studied.
Specialized Terms: Stress; Relaxation; Chronic Disease; Addiction; Addictive behaviors; Clinical Prevention
Cumulative adversity sensitizes brain response to acute stress: association with current health symptoms.
Seo D, Tsou K, Ansell E, Potenza MN, Sinha R (2014). Cumulative adversity sensitizes brain response to acute stress: association with current health symptoms. Neuropsychopharmacology Feb;39(3):670-80 (Sep 20, 2014.
The effects of stress on physical activity and exercise: A systematic review.
Stults-Kolehmainen, M. A. and R. Sinha (2014). "The effects of stress on physical activity and exercise: A systematic review." Sports Medicine 44(1): 81-121.
Disrupted Ventromedial prefrontal function, alcohol craving and subsequent relapse risk.
Seo D, Lacadie C, Constable TC, Tuit K, Sinha R (2013). Disrupted Ventromedial prefrontal function, alcohol craving and subsequent relapse risk. JAMA Psychiatry, Jul 1;70(7):727-39.
Stress is a common risk factor in obesity and in addiction.
Sinha R, Jastreboff AM (2013). Stress is a common risk factor in obesity and in addiction. Biological Psychiatry (March 25, EPub ahead of print). May 1;73(9):827-35
Effects of fructose vs glucose on regional cerebral blood flow in brain regions involved with appetite and reward pathways.
Page KA, Chan O, Arora J, Belfort-Aguiar R, Roehmholdt B, Cline G, Sinha R, Constable RT, Sherwin RS (2013). Effects of fructose vs glucose on regional cerebral blood flow in brain regions involved with appetite and reward pathways. JAMA. Jan 2;309(1):63-70.
This is your brain in meltdown.
Arnsten AFT, Mazure C, Sinha R. This is your brain in meltdown. Scientific American, 2012, April, 48-53.
Effects of Adrenal Sensitivity, Stress- and Cue-Induced Craving, and Anxiety on Subsequent Alcohol Relapse and Treatment Outcomes.
Sinha R, Fox HC, Hong KI, Hansen J, Tuit K, Kreek MJ (2011) Effects of Adrenal Sensitivity, Stress- and Cue-Induced Craving, and Anxiety on Subsequent Alcohol Relapse and Treatment Outcomes. Arch Gen Psychiatry. May 2. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21536969.
Circulating glucose modulates neural control of desire for high-calorie foods in humans.
Page K, Seo D, Aguier R, Lacadie C, Dzijuira, Naik S, Amarnath S, Constable RT, Sherwin RS, Sinha R (2011). Circulating glucose modulates neural control of desire for high-calorie foods in humans. Journal of Clinical Investigation Oct 3;121(10):4161-9.
Cumulative Adversity and Smaller Gray Matter Volume in Medial Prefrontal, Anterior Cingulate, and Insula Regions.
Ansell EB, Rando K, Tuit K, Guarnaccia J, Sinha R. Cumulative Adversity and Smaller Gray Matter Volume in Medial Prefrontal, Anterior Cingulate, and Insula Regions. Biol Psychiatry. 2012 Jan 2. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22218286.
Stress-induced cocaine craving and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal responses are predictive of cocaine relapse outcomes.
Sinha R, Garcia M, Paliwal P, Kreek MJ, Rounsaville BJ. Stress-induced cocaine craving and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal responses are predictive of cocaine relapse outcomes. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006 Mar;63(3):324-31. PubMed PMID: 16520439.
Imaging response inhibition in a stop-signal task: neural correlates independent of signal monitoring and post-response processing.
Li CS, Huang C, Constable RT, Sinha R. Imaging response inhibition in a stop-signal task: neural correlates independent of signal monitoring and post-response processing. J Neurosci. 2006 Jan 4;26(1):186-92.
Chronic stress, drug use and vulnerability to addiction.
Sinha, R (2008). Chronic stress, drug use and vulnerability to addiction. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences: Addiction Reviews, 1141: 105-130
Inhibitory control and emotional stress regulation: neuroimaging evidence for frontal-limbic dysfunction in psycho-stimulant addiction.
Li CS, Sinha R. Inhibitory control and emotional stress regulation: neuroimaging evidence for frontal-limbic dysfunction in psycho-stimulant addiction. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2008;32(3):581-97. Epub 2007 Nov 28. Review.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Seo D, Ahluwalia A, Potenza MN, Sinha R: Gender differences in neural correlates of stress-induced anxiety. J Neurosci Res. 2017 Jan 2. PMID: 27870417
- Scheinost D, Sinha R, Cross SN, Kwon SH, Sze G, Constable RT, Ment LR: Does prenatal stress alter the developing connectome? Pediatr Res. 2017 Jan; 2016 Sep 27. PMID: 27673421
- Chao AM, White MA, Grilo CM, Sinha R: Examining the effects of cigarette smoking on food cravings and intake, depressive symptoms, and stress. Eat Behav. 2016 Dec 21; 2016 Dec 21. PMID: 28038436
- Xu K, Zhang X, Wang Z, Hu Y, Sinha R: Epigenome-wide association analysis revealed that SOCS3 methylation influences the effect of cumulative stress on obesity. Biol Psychol. 2016 Nov 5; 2016 Nov 5. PMID: 27826092
- Zakiniaeiz Y, Scheinost D, Seo D, Sinha R, Constable RT: Cingulate cortex functional connectivity predicts future relapse in alcohol dependent individuals. Neuroimage Clin. 2016 Nov 1; 2016 Nov 1. PMID: 27981033
- Schwandt ML, Cortes CR, Kwako LE, George DT, Momenan R, Sinha R, Grigoriadis DE, Pich EM, Leggio L, Heilig M: The CRF1 Antagonist Verucerfont in Anxious Alcohol-Dependent Women: Translation of Neuroendocrine, But not of Anti-Craving Effects. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016 Nov; 2016 Apr 25. PMID: 27109623
- Milivojevic V, Sinha R: Targeting Stress Pathophysiology to Improve Alcoholism Relapse Outcomes. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016 Oct 26; 2016 Oct 26. PMID: 27713485
- Kober H, Brewer JA, Height KL, Sinha R: Neural stress reactivity relates to smoking outcomes and differentiates between mindfulness and cognitive-behavioral treatments. Neuroimage. 2016 Sep 28; 2016 Sep 28. PMID: 27693614
- Seo D, Lacadie CM, Sinha R: Neural Correlates and Connectivity Underlying Stress-Related Impulse Control Difficulties in Alcoholism. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2016 Sep; 2016 Aug 8. PMID: 27501356
- Garrison KA, Sinha R, Lacadie CM, Scheinost D, Jastreboff AM, Constable RT, Potenza MN: Functional Connectivity During Exposure to Favorite-Food, Stress, and Neutral-Relaxing Imagery Differs Between Smokers and Nonsmokers. Nicotine Tob Res. 2016 Sep; 2016 Mar 19. PMID: 26995796
- Scheinost D, Kwon SH, Lacadie C, Sze G, Sinha R, Constable RT, Ment LR: Prenatal stress alters amygdala functional connectivity in preterm neonates. Neuroimage Clin. 2016 Aug 10; 2016 Aug 10. PMID: 27622134
- Zhang S, Hu S, Sinha R, Potenza MN, Malison RT, Li CS: Cocaine dependence and thalamic functional connectivity: a multivariate pattern analysis. Neuroimage Clin. 2016 Aug 4; 2016 Aug 4. PMID: 27556009
- Sinha R, Lacadie CM, Constable RT, Seo D: Dynamic neural activity during stress signals resilient coping. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Aug 2; 2016 Jul 18. PMID: 27432990
- Parvaz MA, Moeller SJ, Malaker P, Sinha R, Alia-Klein N, Goldstein RZ: Abstinence reverses EEG-indexed attention bias between drug-related and pleasant stimuli in cocaine-addicted individuals. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2016 Jul 19; 2016 Jul 19. PMID: 27434467
- Jastreboff AM, Sinha R, Arora J, Giannini C, Kubat J, Malik S, Van Name MA, Santoro N, Savoye M, Duran EJ, Pierpont B, Cline G, Constable RT, Sherwin RS, Caprio S: Altered Brain Response to Drinking Glucose and Fructose in Obese Adolescents. Diabetes. 2016 Jul; 2016 Apr 5. PMID: 27207544
- Andreassen CS, Griffiths MD, Sinha R, Hetland J, Pallesen S: The Relationships between Workaholism and Symptoms of Psychiatric Disorders: A Large-Scale Cross-Sectional Study. PLoS One. 2016 May 18; 2016 May 18. PMID: 27192149
- Lampert R, Tuit K, Hong KI, Donovan T, Lee F, Sinha R: Cumulative stress and autonomic dysregulation in a community sample. Stress. 2016 May; 2016 Apr 25. PMID: 27112063
- Chao AM, Grilo CM, Sinha R: Food cravings, binge eating, and eating disorder psychopathology: Exploring the moderating roles of gender and race. Eat Behav. 2016 Apr; 2015 Dec 18. PMID: 26741258
- Chao A, Grey M, Whittemore R, Reuning-Scherer J, Grilo CM, Sinha R: Examining the mediating roles of binge eating and emotional eating in the relationships between stress and metabolic abnormalities. J Behav Med. 2016 Apr; 2015 Dec 21. PMID: 26686376
- Blaine SK, Milivojevic V, Fox H, Sinha R: Alcohol Effects on Stress Pathways: Impact on Craving and Relapse Risk. Can J Psychiatry. 2016 Mar; 2016 Feb 9. PMID: 27254089
- Sun X, Veldhuizen MG, Babbs AE, Sinha R, Small DM: Perceptual and Brain Response to Odors Is Associated with Body Mass Index and Postprandial Total Ghrelin Reactivity to a Meal. Chem Senses. 2016 Mar; 2016 Jan 28. PMID: 26826114
- Milivojevic V, Fox HC, Sofuoglu M, Covault J, Sinha R: Effects of progesterone stimulated allopregnanolone on craving and stress response in cocaine dependent men and women. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2016 Mar; 2015 Dec 14. PMID: 26716877
- Yip SW, Lacadie CM, Sinha R, Mayes LC, Potenza MN: Prenatal cocaine exposure, illicit-substance use and stress and craving processes during adolescence. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Jan 1; 2015 Nov 17. PMID: 26627911
- Kober H, Lacadie CM, Wexler BE, Malison RT, Sinha R, Potenza MN: Brain Activity During Cocaine Craving and Gambling Urges: An fMRI Study. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016 Jan; 2015 Jun 29. PMID: 26119472
- Mackey S, Kan KJ, Chaarani B, Alia-Klein N, Batalla A, Brooks S, Cousijn J, Dagher A, de Ruiter M, Desrivieres S, Feldstein Ewing SW, Goldstein RZ, Goudriaan AE, Heitzeg MM, Hutchison K, Li CS, London ED, Lorenzetti V, Luijten M, Martin-Santos R, Morales AM, Paulus MP, Paus T, Pearlson G, Schluter R, Momenan R, Schmaal L, Schumann G, Sinha R, Sjoerds Z, Stein DJ, Stein EA, Solowij N, Tapert S, Uhlmann A, Veltman D, van Holst R, Walter H, Wright MJ, Yucel M, Yurgelun-Todd D, Hibar DP, Jahanshad N, Thompson PM, Glahn DC, Garavan H, Conrod P: Genetic imaging consortium for addiction medicine: From neuroimaging to genes. Prog Brain Res. 2016; 2015 Nov 4. PMID: 26822360
- Blaine SK, Seo D, Sinha R: Peripheral and prefrontal stress system markers and risk of relapse in alcoholism. Addict Biol. 2015 Nov 5; 2015 Nov 5. PMID: 26537217
- Cui C, Noronha A, Warren KR, Koob GF, Sinha R, Thakkar M, Matochik J, Crews FT, Chandler LJ, Pfefferbaum A, Becker HC, Lovinger D, Everitt BJ, Egli M, Mandyam CD, Fein G, Potenza MN, Harris RA, Grant KA, Roberto M, Meyerhoff DJ, Sullivan EV: Brain pathways to recovery from alcohol dependence. Alcohol. 2015 Aug; 2015 May 14. PMID: 26074423
- Kwako LE, Schwandt ML, Sells JR, Ramchandani VA, Hommer DW, George DT, Sinha R, Heilig M: Methods for inducing alcohol craving in individuals with co-morbid alcohol dependence and posttraumatic stress disorder: behavioral and physiological outcomes. Addict Biol. 2015 Jul; 2014 May 7. PMID: 24806358
- Chao A, Grilo CM, White MA, Sinha R: Food cravings mediate the relationship between chronic stress and body mass index. J Health Psychol. 2015 Jun. PMID: 26032789
- Elsey J, Coates A, Lacadie CM, McCrory EJ, Sinha R, Mayes LC, Potenza MN: Childhood trauma and neural responses to personalized stress, favorite-food and neutral-relaxing cues in adolescents. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2015 Jun; 2015 Jan 8. PMID: 25567424
- Sun X, Kroemer NB, Veldhuizen MG, Babbs AE, de Araujo IE, Gitelman DR, Sherwin RS, Sinha R, Small DM: Basolateral amygdala response to food cues in the absence of hunger is associated with weight gain susceptibility. J Neurosci. 2015 May 20. PMID: 25995480
- Manini AF, Yiannoulos G, Bergamaschi MM, Hernandez S, Olmedo R, Barnes AJ, Winkel G, Sinha R, Jutras-Aswad D, Huestis MA, Hurd YL: Safety and pharmacokinetics of oral cannabidiol when administered concomitantly with intravenous fentanyl in humans. J Addict Med. 2015 May-Jun. PMID: 25748562
- Van Dam NT, Sinha R: Childhood trauma-specific reductions in limbic gray matter volume--reply. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015 Apr. PMID: 25830677
- Hu S, Ide JS, Zhang S, Sinha R, Li CS: Conflict anticipation in alcohol dependence - A model-based fMRI study of stop signal task. Neuroimage Clin. 2015 Mar 20; 2015 Mar 20. PMID: 26106526
- Kwako LE, Spagnolo PA, Schwandt ML, Thorsell A, George DT, Momenan R, Rio DE, Huestis M, Anizan S, Concheiro M, Sinha R, Heilig M: The corticotropin releasing hormone-1 (CRH1) receptor antagonist pexacerfont in alcohol dependence: a randomized controlled experimental medicine study. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2015 Mar 13; 2015 Mar 13. PMID: 25409596
- Ansell EB, Laws HB, Roche MJ, Sinha R: Effects of marijuana use on impulsivity and hostility in daily life. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015 Mar 1; 2015 Jan 6. PMID: 25595054
- Fox H, Sofuoglu M, Sinha R: Guanfacine enhances inhibitory control and attentional shifting in early abstinent cocaine-dependent individuals. J Psychopharmacol. 2015 Mar; 2015 Jan 7. PMID: 25567555
- McKee SA, Potenza MN, Kober H, Sofuoglu M, Arnsten AF, Picciotto MR, Weinberger AH, Ashare R, Sinha R: A translational investigation targeting stress-reactivity and prefrontal cognitive control with guanfacine for smoking cessation. J Psychopharmacol. 2015 Mar; 2014 Dec 16. PMID: 25516371
- Van Name M, Giannini C, Santoro N, Jastreboff AM, Kubat J, Li F, Kursawe R, Savoye M, Duran E, Dziura J, Sinha R, Sherwin RS, Cline G, Caprio S: Blunted suppression of acyl-ghrelin in response to fructose ingestion in obese adolescents: the role of insulin resistance. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015 Mar; 2015 Feb 3. PMID: 25645909
- Chaplin TM, Visconti KJ, Molfese PJ, Susman EJ, Klein LC, Sinha R, Mayes LC: Prenatal cocaine exposure differentially affects stress responses in girls and boys: associations with future substance use. Dev Psychopathol. 2015 Feb; 2014 Jul 18. PMID: 25036298
- Abravanel BT, Sinha R: Emotion dysregulation mediates the relationship between lifetime cumulative adversity and depressive symptomatology. J Psychiatr Res. 2015 Feb; 2014 Dec 4. PMID: 25528603
- Seo D, Sinha R: Neuroplasticity and Predictors of Alcohol Recovery. Alcohol Res. 2015. PMID: 26259094
- Jastreboff AM, Sinha R, Lacadie CM, Balodis IM, Sherwin R, Potenza MN: Blunted striatal responses to favorite-food cues in smokers. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015 Jan 1; 2014 Sep 18. PMID: 25444233
- Hamilton KR, Sinha R, Potenza MN: Self-reported impulsivity, but not behavioral approach or inhibition, mediates the relationship between stress and self-control. Addict Behav. 2014 Nov; 2014 Jan 22. PMID: 24508183
- Beech RD, Leffert JJ, Lin A, Hong KA, Hansen J, Umlauf S, Mane S, Zhao H, Sinha R: Stress-related alcohol consumption in heavy drinkers correlates with expression of miR-10a, miR-21, and components of the TAR-RNA-binding protein-associated complex. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2014 Nov. PMID: 25421511
- Jastreboff AM, Lacadie C, Seo D, Kubat J, Van Name MA, Giannini C, Savoye M, Constable RT, Sherwin RS, Caprio S, Sinha R: Leptin is associated with exaggerated brain reward and emotion responses to food images in adolescent obesity. Diabetes Care. 2014 Nov; 2014 Aug 19. PMID: 25139883
- Milivojevic V, Sinha R, Morgan PT, Sofuoglu M, Fox HC: Effects of endogenous and exogenous progesterone on emotional intelligence in cocaine-dependent men and women who also abuse alcohol. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2014 Nov; 2014 Nov 3. PMID: 25363303
- Yip SW, Potenza EB, Balodis IM, Lacadie CM, Sinha R, Mayes LC, Potenza MN: Prenatal cocaine exposure and adolescent neural responses to appetitive and stressful stimuli. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014 Nov; 2014 Jun 6. PMID: 24903650
- Sun X, Veldhuizen MG, Wray AE, de Araujo IE, Sherwin RS, Sinha R, Small DM: The neural signature of satiation is associated with ghrelin response and triglyceride metabolism. Physiol Behav. 2014 Sep; 2014 Apr 13. PMID: 24732416
- Chao A, Grilo CM, White MA, Sinha R: Food cravings, food intake, and weight status in a community-based sample. Eat Behav. 2014 Aug; 2014 Jun 18. PMID: 25064302
- Van Dam NT, Rando K, Potenza MN, Tuit K, Sinha R: Childhood maltreatment, altered limbic neurobiology, and substance use relapse severity via trauma-specific reductions in limbic gray matter volume. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014 Aug. PMID: 24920451
- Stults-Kolehmainen MA, Bartholomew JB, Sinha R: Chronic psychological stress impairs recovery of muscular function and somatic sensations over a 96-hour period. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Jul. PMID: 24343323
- Fox HC, Morgan PT, Sinha R: Sex differences in guanfacine effects on drug craving and stress arousal in cocaine-dependent individuals. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014 May; 2014 Jan 7. PMID: 24395021
- Jastreboff AM, Gaiser EC, Gu P, Sinha R: Sex differences in the association between dietary restraint, insulin resistance and obesity. Eat Behav. 2014 Apr; 2014 Mar 26. PMID: 24854820
- Seo D, Olman CA, Haut KM, Sinha R, MacDonald AW 3rd, Patrick CJ: Neural correlates of preparatory and regulatory control over positive and negative emotion. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2014 Apr; 2013 Jul 24. PMID: 23887812
- Scheinost D, Shen X, Finn E, Sinha R, Constable RT, Papademetris X: Coupled Intrinsic Connectivity Distribution analysis: a method for exploratory connectivity analysis of paired FMRI data. PLoS One. 2014 Mar 27; 2014 Mar 27. PMID: 24676034
- Stults-Kolehmainen MA, Tuit K, Sinha R: Lower cumulative stress is associated with better health for physically active adults in the community. Stress. 2014 Mar; 2014 Jan 29. PMID: 24392966
- Li CS, Potenza MN, Lee DE, Planeta B, Gallezot JD, Labaree D, Henry S, Nabulsi N, Sinha R, Ding YS, Carson RE, Neumeister A: Decreased norepinephrine transporter availability in obesity: Positron Emission Tomography imaging with (S,S)-[(11)C]O-methylreboxetine. Neuroimage. 2014 Feb 1; 2013 Oct 10. PMID: 24121204
- Seo D, Tsou KA, Ansell EB, Potenza MN, Sinha R: Cumulative adversity sensitizes neural response to acute stress: association with health symptoms. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014 Feb; 2013 Sep 20. PMID: 24051900
- Sinha R: Disgust, insula, immune signaling, and addiction. Biol Psychiatry. 2014 Jan 15. PMID: 24331643
- Fox H, Sinha R: The role of guanfacine as a therapeutic agent to address stress-related pathophysiology in cocaine-dependent individuals. Adv Pharmacol. 2014. PMID: 24484979
- Ide JS, Zhang S, Hu S, Sinha R, Mazure CM, Li CS: Cerebral gray matter volumes and low-frequency fluctuation of BOLD signals in cocaine dependence: duration of use and gender difference. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Jan 1; 2013 Sep 17. PMID: 24090712
- Seo D, Sinha R: The neurobiology of alcohol craving and relapse. Handb Clin Neurol. 2014. PMID: 25307585
- Stults-Kolehmainen MA, Sinha R: The effects of stress on physical activity and exercise. Sports Med. 2014 Jan. PMID: 24030837
- Rando K, Chaplin TM, Potenza MN, Mayes L, Sinha R: Prenatal cocaine exposure and gray matter volume in adolescent boys and girls: relationship to substance use initiation. Biol Psychiatry. 2013 Oct 1; 2013 Jun 14. PMID: 23751204
- Hommer RE, Seo D, Lacadie CM, Chaplin TM, Mayes LC, Sinha R, Potenza MN: Neural correlates of stress and favorite-food cue exposure in adolescents: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Hum Brain Mapp. 2013 Oct; 2012 Apr 16. PMID: 22504779
- Fox HC, Sofuoglu M, Morgan PT, Tuit KL, Sinha R: The effects of exogenous progesterone on drug craving and stress arousal in cocaine dependence: impact of gender and cue type. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2013 Sep; 2013 Jan 29. PMID: 23374328
- Sinha R: The clinical neurobiology of drug craving. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2013 Aug; 2013 Jun 10. PMID: 23764204
- Seo D, Lacadie CM, Tuit K, Hong KI, Constable RT, Sinha R: Disrupted ventromedial prefrontal function, alcohol craving, and subsequent relapse risk. JAMA Psychiatry. 2013 Jul. PMID: 23636842
- Sinha R, Jastreboff AM: Stress as a common risk factor for obesity and addiction. Biol Psychiatry. 2013 May 1; 2013 Mar 26. PMID: 23541000
- Balodis IM, Kober H, Worhunsky PD, White MA, Stevens MC, Pearlson GD, Sinha R, Grilo CM, Potenza MN: Monetary reward processing in obese individuals with and without binge eating disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2013 May 1; 2013 Feb 23. PMID: 23462319
- Xu J, Li Y, Lin H, Sinha R, Potenza MN: Body mass index correlates negatively with white matter integrity in the fornix and corpus callosum: a diffusion tensor imaging study. Hum Brain Mapp. 2013 May; 2011 Dec 3. PMID: 22139809
- Luo X, Zhang S, Hu S, Bednarski SR, Erdman E, Farr OM, Hong KI, Sinha R, Mazure CM, Li CS: Error processing and gender-shared and -specific neural predictors of relapse in cocaine dependence. Brain. 2013 Apr; 2013 Mar 12. PMID: 23485852
- Jastreboff AM, Sinha R, Lacadie C, Small DM, Sherwin RS, Potenza MN: Neural correlates of stress- and food cue-induced food craving in obesity: association with insulin levels. Diabetes Care. 2013 Feb; 2012 Oct 15. PMID: 23069840
- Page KA, Chan O, Arora J, Belfort-Deaguiar R, Dzuira J, Roehmholdt B, Cline GW, Naik S, Sinha R, Constable RT, Sherwin RS: Effects of fructose vs glucose on regional cerebral blood flow in brain regions involved with appetite and reward pathways. JAMA. 2013 Jan 2. PMID: 23280226
- Rando K, Tuit K, Hannestad J, Guarnaccia J, Sinha R: Sex differences in decreased limbic and cortical grey matter volume in cocaine dependence: a voxel-based morphometric study. Addict Biol. 2013 Jan; 2012 Nov 21. PMID: 23167305
- Sinha R: Modeling relapse situations in the human laboratory. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2013. PMID: 21769721
- Fox HC, Tuit KL, Sinha R: Stress system changes associated with marijuana dependence may increase craving for alcohol and cocaine. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2013 Jan; 2012 Dec 28. PMID: 23280514
- Hamilton KR, Ansell EB, Reynolds B, Potenza MN, Sinha R: Self-reported impulsivity, but not behavioral choice or response impulsivity, partially mediates the effect of stress on drinking behavior. Stress. 2013 Jan; 2012 Apr 4. PMID: 22376044
- Lowthert L, Leffert J, Lin A, Umlauf S, Maloney K, Muralidharan A, Lorberg B, Mane S, Zhao H, Sinha R, Bhagwagar Z, Beech R: Increased ratio of anti-apoptotic to pro-apoptotic Bcl2 gene-family members in lithium-responders one month after treatment initiation. Biol Mood Anxiety Disord. 2012 Sep 12; 2012 Sep 12. PMID: 22967286
- Beech RD, Qu J, Leffert JJ, Lin A, Hong KA, Hansen J, Umlauf S, Mane S, Zhao H, Sinha R: Altered expression of cytokine signaling pathway genes in peripheral blood cells of alcohol dependent subjects: preliminary findings. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012 Sep; 2012 Apr 4. PMID: 22471388
- Ansell EB, Rando K, Tuit K, Guarnaccia J, Sinha R: Cumulative adversity and smaller gray matter volume in medial prefrontal, anterior cingulate, and insula regions. Biol Psychiatry. 2012 Jul 1; 2012 Jan 3. PMID: 22218286
- Fox HC, Seo D, Tuit K, Hansen J, Kimmerling A, Morgan PT, Sinha R: Guanfacine effects on stress, drug craving and prefrontal activation in cocaine dependent individuals: preliminary findings. J Psychopharmacol. 2012 Jul; 2012 Jan 9. PMID: 22234929
- Hamilton KR, Sinha R, Potenza MN: Hazardous drinking and dimensions of impulsivity, behavioral approach, and inhibition in adult men and women. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012 Jun; 2012 Apr 5. PMID: 22486201
- Chaplin TM, Sinha R, Simmons JA, Healy SM, Mayes LC, Hommer RE, Crowley MJ: Parent-adolescent conflict interactions and adolescent alcohol use. Addict Behav. 2012 May; 2012 Jan 13. PMID: 22341765
- D'Sa C, Dileone RJ, Anderson GM, Sinha R: Serum and plasma brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in abstinent alcoholics and social drinkers. Alcohol. 2012 May; 2012 Feb 22. PMID: 22364688
- Potenza MN, Hong KI, Lacadie CM, Fulbright RK, Tuit KL, Sinha R: Neural correlates of stress-induced and cue-induced drug craving: influences of sex and cocaine dependence. Am J Psychiatry. 2012 Apr. PMID: 22294257
- Xu K, Hong KA, Zhou Z, Hauger RL, Goldman D, Sinha R: Genetic modulation of plasma NPY stress response is suppressed in substance abuse: association with clinical outcomes. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2012 Apr; 2011 Sep 13. PMID: 21917383
- Arnsten A, Mazure CM, Sinha R: This is your brain in meltdown. Sci Am. 2012 Apr. PMID: 22486116
- Ansell EB, Gu P, Tuit K, Sinha R: Effects of cumulative stress and impulsivity on smoking status. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2012 Mar. PMID: 22389084
- Fox HC, D'Sa C, Kimmerling A, Siedlarz KM, Tuit KL, Stowe R, Sinha R: Immune system inflammation in cocaine dependent individuals: implications for medications development. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2012 Mar. PMID: 22389080
- Liu J, Chaplin TM, Wang F, Sinha R, Mayes LC, Blumberg HP: Stress reactivity and corticolimbic response to emotional faces in adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012 Mar; 2012 Feb 1. PMID: 22365466
- Ashare RL, Sinha R, Lampert R, Weinberger AH, Anderson GM, Lavery ME, Yanagisawa K, McKee SA: Blunted vagal reactivity predicts stress-precipitated tobacco smoking. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012 Mar; 2011 Sep 21. PMID: 21938416
- Fox HC, Anderson GM, Tuit K, Hansen J, Kimmerling A, Siedlarz KM, Morgan PT, Sinha R: Prazosin effects on stress- and cue-induced craving and stress response in alcohol-dependent individuals: preliminary findings. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012 Feb; 2011 Sep 15. PMID: 21919922
- Sinha R: How does stress lead to risk of alcohol relapse? Alcohol Res. 2012. PMID: 23584109
- Spann MN, Mayes LC, Kalmar JH, Guiney J, Womer FY, Pittman B, Mazure CM, Sinha R, Blumberg HP: Childhood abuse and neglect and cognitive flexibility in adolescents. Child Neuropsychol. 2012; 2011 Sep 26. PMID: 21942637
- Bednarski SR, Zhang S, Hong KI, Sinha R, Rounsaville BJ, Li CS: Deficits in default mode network activity preceding error in cocaine dependent individuals. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2011 Dec 15; 2011 Jun 23. PMID: 21703783
- Edmiston EE, Wang F, Mazure CM, Guiney J, Sinha R, Mayes LC, Blumberg HP: Corticostriatal-limbic gray matter morphology in adolescents with self-reported exposure to childhood maltreatment. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011 Dec. PMID: 22147775
- Seo D, Jia Z, Lacadie CM, Tsou KA, Bergquist K, Sinha R: Sex differences in neural responses to stress and alcohol context cues. Hum Brain Mapp. 2011 Nov; 2010 Dec 15. PMID: 21162046
- Sinha R, Shaham Y, Heilig M: Translational and reverse translational research on the role of stress in drug craving and relapse. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011 Nov; 2011 Apr 15. PMID: 21494792
- D'Sa C, Fox HC, Hong AK, Dileone RJ, Sinha R: Increased serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor is predictive of cocaine relapse outcomes: a prospective study. Biol Psychiatry. 2011 Oct 15; 2011 Jul 8. PMID: 21741029
- Sinha R: New findings on biological factors predicting addiction relapse vulnerability. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2011 Oct. PMID: 21792580
- Page KA, Seo D, Belfort-DeAguiar R, Lacadie C, Dzuira J, Naik S, Amarnath S, Constable RT, Sherwin RS, Sinha R: Circulating glucose levels modulate neural control of desire for high-calorie foods in humans. J Clin Invest. 2011 Oct; 2011 Sep 19. PMID: 21926468
- Sinha R, Fox HC, Hong KI, Hansen J, Tuit K, Kreek MJ: Effects of adrenal sensitivity, stress- and cue-induced craving, and anxiety on subsequent alcohol relapse and treatment outcomes. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011 Sep; 2011 May 2. PMID: 21536969
- Guan Y, Yan J, Sinha R: Variance estimation for statistics computed from single recurrent event processes. Biometrics. 2011 Sep; 2011 Mar 1. PMID: 21361887
- Guan Y, Li Y, Sinha R: Cocaine Dependence Treatment Data: Methods for Measurement Error Problems With Predictors Derived From Stationary Stochastic Processes. J Am Stat Assoc. 2011 Jun 1. PMID: 21984854
- McKee SA, Sinha R, Weinberger AH, Sofuoglu M, Harrison EL, Lavery M, Wanzer J: Stress decreases the ability to resist smoking and potentiates smoking intensity and reward. J Psychopharmacol. 2011 Apr; 2010 Sep 3. PMID: 20817750
- Fox HC, Bergquist KL, Casey J, Hong KA, Sinha R: Selective cocaine-related difficulties in emotional intelligence: relationship to stress and impulse control. Am J Addict. 2011 Mar-Apr; 2010 Dec 28. PMID: 21314758
- Rando K, Hong KI, Bhagwagar Z, Li CS, Bergquist K, Guarnaccia J, Sinha R: Association of frontal and posterior cortical gray matter volume with time to alcohol relapse: a prospective study. Am J Psychiatry. 2011 Feb; 2010 Nov 15. PMID: 21078704
- Jastreboff AM, Potenza MN, Lacadie C, Hong KA, Sherwin RS, Sinha R: Body mass index, metabolic factors, and striatal activation during stressful and neutral-relaxing states: an FMRI study. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011 Feb; 2010 Nov 3. PMID: 21048702
- Axelrod SR, Perepletchikova F, Holtzman K, Sinha R: Emotion regulation and substance use frequency in women with substance dependence and borderline personality disorder receiving dialectical behavior therapy. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2011 Jan; 2010 Nov 22. PMID: 21091162
- Beech RD, Lowthert L, Leffert JJ, Mason PN, Taylor MM, Umlauf S, Lin A, Lee JY, Maloney K, Muralidharan A, Lorberg B, Zhao H, Newton SS, Mane S, Epperson CN, Sinha R, Blumberg H, Bhagwagar Z: Increased peripheral blood expression of electron transport chain genes in bipolar depression. Bipolar Disord. 2010 Dec. PMID: 21176028
- Chaplin TM, Freiburger MB, Mayes LC, Sinha R: Prenatal cocaine exposure, gender, and adolescent stress response: a prospective longitudinal study. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2010 Nov-Dec; 2010 Sep 17. PMID: 20826209
- Blanton RE, Chaplin TM, Sinha R: Sex differences in the correlation of emotional control and amygdala volumes in adolescents. Neuroreport. 2010 Oct 6. PMID: 20729768
- Chaplin TM, Hong K, Fox HC, Siedlarz KM, Bergquist K, Sinha R: Behavioral arousal in response to stress and drug cue in alcohol and cocaine addicted individuals versus healthy controls. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2010 Jul. PMID: 20589926
- Chaplin TM, Casey J, Sinha R, Mayes LC: Gender differences in caregiver emotion socialization of low-income toddlers. New Dir Child Adolesc Dev. 2010 Summer. PMID: 20552657
- Li CS, Luo X, Sinha R, Rounsaville BJ, Carroll KM, Malison RT, Ding YS, Zhang S, Ide JS: Increased error-related thalamic activity during early compared to late cocaine abstinence. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010 Jun 1; 2010 Feb 16. PMID: 20163923
- Bergquist KL, Fox HC, Sinha R: Self-reports of interoceptive responses during stress and drug cue-related experiences in cocaine- and alcohol-dependent individuals. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010 Jun. PMID: 20545387
- Hyman SM, Hong KI, Chaplin TM, Dabre Z, Comegys AD, Kimmerling A, Sinha R: A stress-coping profile of opioid dependent individuals entering naltrexone treatment: a comparison with healthy controls. Psychol Addict Behav. 2009 Dec. PMID: 20025367
- Fox HC, Hong KI, Siedlarz KM, Bergquist K, Anderson G, Kreek MJ, Sinha R: Sex-specific dissociations in autonomic and HPA responses to stress and cues in alcohol-dependent patients with cocaine abuse. Alcohol Alcohol. 2009 Nov-Dec; 2009 Sep 30. PMID: 19793926
- Brewer JA, Sinha R, Chen JA, Michalsen RN, Babuscio TA, Nich C, Grier A, Bergquist KL, Reis DL, Potenza MN, Carroll KM, Rounsaville BJ: Mindfulness training and stress reactivity in substance abuse: results from a randomized, controlled stage I pilot study. Subst Abus. 2009 Oct-Dec. PMID: 19904666
- Chaplin TM, Fahy T, Sinha R, Mayes LC: Emotional arousal in cocaine exposed toddlers: prediction of behavior problems. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2009 Sep-Oct; 2009 May 21. PMID: 19465113
- Fox HC, Jackson ED, Sinha R: Elevated cortisol and learning and memory deficits in cocaine dependent individuals: relationship to relapse outcomes. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2009 Sep; 2009 Apr 16. PMID: 19375236
- Sinha R: Stress and addiction: a dynamic interplay of genes, environment, and drug intake. Biol Psychiatry. 2009 Jul 15. PMID: 19555787
- Morgan PT, Paliwal P, Malison RT, Sinha R: Sex differences in sleep and sleep-dependent learning in abstinent cocaine users. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2009 Jul; 2009 Apr 18. PMID: 19379771
- Hyman SM, Sinha R: Stress-related factors in cannabis use and misuse: implications for prevention and treatment. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2009 Jun; 2008 Nov 11. PMID: 19004601
- Li CS, Luo X, Yan P, Bergquist K, Sinha R: Altered impulse control in alcohol dependence: neural measures of stop signal performance. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2009 Apr; 2009 Jan 21. PMID: 19170662
- Sinha R, Fox HC, Hong KA, Bergquist K, Bhagwagar Z, Siedlarz KM: Enhanced negative emotion and alcohol craving, and altered physiological responses following stress and cue exposure in alcohol dependent individuals. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009 Apr; 2008 Jun 18. PMID: 18563062
- Morean ME, Corbin WR, Sinha R, O'Malley SS: Parental history of anxiety and alcohol-use disorders and alcohol expectancies as predictors of alcohol-related problems. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2009 Mar. PMID: 19261234
- Sinha R: Modeling stress and drug craving in the laboratory: implications for addiction treatment development. Addict Biol. 2009 Jan; 2008 Oct 20. PMID: 18945295
- Fox HC, Sinha R: Sex differences in drug-related stress-system changes: implications for treatment in substance-abusing women. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2009. PMID: 19373619
- Sinha R: Chronic stress, drug use, and vulnerability to addiction. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008 Oct. PMID: 18991954
- Li CS, Yan P, Sinha R, Lee TW: Subcortical processes of motor response inhibition during a stop signal task. Neuroimage. 2008 Jul 15; 2008 Apr 11. PMID: 18485743
- Chaplin TM, Hong K, Bergquist K, Sinha R: Gender differences in response to emotional stress: an assessment across subjective, behavioral, and physiological domains and relations to alcohol craving. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2008 Jul. PMID: 18482163
- Li CS, Huang C, Yan P, Bhagwagar Z, Milivojevic V, Sinha R: Neural correlates of impulse control during stop signal inhibition in cocaine-dependent men. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jul; 2007 Sep 26. PMID: 17895916
- Li CS, Huang C, Yan P, Paliwal P, Constable RT, Sinha R: Neural correlates of post-error slowing during a stop signal task: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. J Cogn Neurosci. 2008 Jun. PMID: 18211230
- Paliwal P, Hyman SM, Sinha R: Craving predicts time to cocaine relapse: further validation of the Now and Brief versions of the cocaine craving questionnaire. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008 Mar 1; 2007 Dec 11. PMID: 18063320
- Fox HC, Hong KI, Siedlarz K, Sinha R: Enhanced sensitivity to stress and drug/alcohol craving in abstinent cocaine-dependent individuals compared to social drinkers. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Mar; 2007 Jun 13. PMID: 17568398
- Hyman SM, Paliwal P, Chaplin TM, Mazure CM, Rounsaville BJ, Sinha R: Severity of childhood trauma is predictive of cocaine relapse outcomes in women but not men. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008 Jan 1; 2007 Sep 27. PMID: 17900822
- Li CS, Sinha R: Inhibitory control and emotional stress regulation: neuroimaging evidence for frontal-limbic dysfunction in psycho-stimulant addiction. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2008; 2007 Nov 28. PMID: 18164058
- Fox HC, Hong KA, Paliwal P, Morgan PT, Sinha R: Altered levels of sex and stress steroid hormones assessed daily over a 28-day cycle in early abstinent cocaine-dependent females. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2008 Jan; 2007 Sep 21. PMID: 17891383
- Li CS, Yan P, Bergquist KL, Sinha R: Greater activation of the "default" brain regions predicts stop signal errors. Neuroimage. 2007 Nov 15; 2007 Aug 3. PMID: 17884586
- McKee SA, Carroll KM, Sinha R, Robinson JE, Nich C, Cavallo D, O'Malley S: Enhancing brief cognitive-behavioral therapy with motivational enhancement techniques in cocaine users. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007 Nov 2; 2007 Jun 15. PMID: 17573205
- Sinha R: The role of stress in addiction relapse. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2007 Oct. PMID: 17915078
- Sinha R, Fox H, Hong KI, Sofuoglu M, Morgan PT, Bergquist KT: Sex steroid hormones, stress response, and drug craving in cocaine-dependent women: implications for relapse susceptibility. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2007 Oct. PMID: 17924778
- Hyman SM, Paliwal P, Sinha R: Childhood maltreatment, perceived stress, and stress-related coping in recently abstinent cocaine dependent adults. Psychol Addict Behav. 2007 Jun. PMID: 17563143
- O'Malley SS, Sinha R, Grilo CM, Capone C, Farren CK, McKee SA, Rounsaville BJ, Wu R: Naltrexone and cognitive behavioral coping skills therapy for the treatment of alcohol drinking and eating disorder features in alcohol-dependent women: a randomized controlled trial. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2007 Apr. PMID: 17374042
- Hyman SM, Fox H, Hong KI, Doebrick C, Sinha R: Stress and drug-cue-induced craving in opioid-dependent individuals in naltrexone treatment. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2007 Apr. PMID: 17469937
- Fox HC, Bergquist KL, Hong KI, Sinha R: Stress-induced and alcohol cue-induced craving in recently abstinent alcohol-dependent individuals. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2007 Mar. PMID: 17295723
- Sinha R, Kimmerling A, Doebrick C, Kosten TR: Effects of lofexidine on stress-induced and cue-induced opioid craving and opioid abstinence rates: preliminary findings. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007 Mar; 2006 Nov 29. PMID: 17136399
- Sinha R, Li CS: Imaging stress- and cue-induced drug and alcohol craving: association with relapse and clinical implications. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2007 Jan. PMID: 17364833
- Li CS, Milivojevic V, Kemp K, Hong K, Sinha R: Performance monitoring and stop signal inhibition in abstinent patients with cocaine dependence. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006 Dec 1; 2006 May 24. PMID: 16725282
- Carroll KM, Easton CJ, Nich C, Hunkele KA, Neavins TM, Sinha R, Ford HL, Vitolo SA, Doebrick CA, Rounsaville BJ: The use of contingency management and motivational/skills-building therapy to treat young adults with marijuana dependence. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2006 Oct. PMID: 17032099
- Li CS, Huang C, Constable RT, Sinha R: Gender differences in the neural correlates of response inhibition during a stop signal task. Neuroimage. 2006 Oct 1; 2006 Jun 27. PMID: 16806976
- Fox HC, Garcia M Jr, Kemp K, Milivojevic V, Kreek MJ, Sinha R: Gender differences in cardiovascular and corticoadrenal response to stress and drug cues in cocaine dependent individuals. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006 Apr; 2006 Mar 3. PMID: 16514523
- Sinha R, Garcia M, Paliwal P, Kreek MJ, Rounsaville BJ: Stress-induced cocaine craving and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal responses are predictive of cocaine relapse outcomes. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006 Mar. PMID: 16520439
- Li CS, Sinha R: Alexithymia and stress-induced brain activation in cocaine-dependent men and women. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2006 Mar. PMID: 16575427
- Kosten TR, Scanley BE, Tucker KA, Oliveto A, Prince C, Sinha R, Potenza MN, Skudlarski P, Wexler BE: Cue-induced brain activity changes and relapse in cocaine-dependent patients. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006 Mar. PMID: 16123763
- Li CS, Kosten TR, Sinha R: Antisocial personality and stress-induced brain activation in cocaine-dependent patients. Neuroreport. 2006 Feb 27. PMID: 16462591
- Li CS, Huang C, Constable RT, Sinha R: Imaging response inhibition in a stop-signal task: neural correlates independent of signal monitoring and post-response processing. J Neurosci. 2006 Jan 4. PMID: 16399686
- Hyman SM, Garcia M, Sinha R: Gender specific associations between types of childhood maltreatment and the onset, escalation and severity of substance use in cocaine dependent adults. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2006. PMID: 17127554
- Li CS, Milivojevic V, Constable RT, Sinha R: Recent cannabis abuse decreased stress-induced BOLD signals in the frontal and cingulate cortices of cocaine dependent individuals. Psychiatry Res. 2005 Dec 30; 2005 Nov 14. PMID: 16290108
- Sinha R, Lacadie C, Skudlarski P, Fulbright RK, Rounsaville BJ, Kosten TR, Wexler BE: Neural activity associated with stress-induced cocaine craving: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2005 Dec; 2005 Nov 9. PMID: 16163517
- Fox HC, Talih M, Malison R, Anderson GM, Kreek MJ, Sinha R: Frequency of recent cocaine and alcohol use affects drug craving and associated responses to stress and drug-related cues. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2005 Oct. PMID: 15975729
- Li CS, Kemp K, Milivojevic V, Sinha R: Neuroimaging study of sex differences in the neuropathology of cocaine abuse. Gend Med. 2005 Sep. PMID: 16290890
- Hyman SM, Garcia M, Kemp K, Mazure CM, Sinha R: A gender specific psychometric analysis of the early trauma inventory short form in cocaine dependent adults. Addict Behav. 2005 May. PMID: 15833587
- Li CS, Kosten TR, Sinha R: Sex differences in brain activation during stress imagery in abstinent cocaine users: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Biol Psychiatry. 2005 Mar 1. PMID: 15737663
- Dodge R, Sindelar J, Sinha R: The role of depression symptoms in predicting drug abstinence in outpatient substance abuse treatment. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2005 Mar. PMID: 15780549
- Sinha R, Lacadie C, Skudlarski P, Wexler BE: Neural circuits underlying emotional distress in humans. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Dec. PMID: 15677422
- Sinha R, Talih M, Malison R, Cooney N, Anderson GM, Kreek MJ: Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and sympatho-adreno-medullary responses during stress-induced and drug cue-induced cocaine craving states. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2003 Oct; 2003 Jul 4. PMID: 12845411
- Sinha R, Easton C, Kemp K: Substance abuse treatment characteristics of probation-referred young adults in a community-based outpatient program. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2003 Aug. PMID: 14510042
- Sinha R, Easton C, Renee-Aubin L, Carroll KM: Engaging young probation-referred marijuana-abusing individuals in treatment: a pilot trial. Am J Addict. 2003 Jul-Sep. PMID: 14504024
- Sinha R, Rounsaville BJ: Sex differences in depressed substance abusers. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002 Jul. PMID: 12143921
- Carroll KM, Sinha R, Nich C, Babuscio T, Rounsaville BJ: Contingency management to enhance naltrexone treatment of opioid dependence: a randomized clinical trial of reinforcement magnitude. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2002 Feb. PMID: 11866252
- O'Malley SS, Krishnan-Sarin S, Farren C, Sinha R, Kreek MJ: Naltrexone decreases craving and alcohol self-administration in alcohol-dependent subjects and activates the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenocortical axis. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2002 Feb; 2002 Jan 22. PMID: 11862370