Health Services Administration; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation; Psychiatry and Psychology
Public Health Interests
Chronic disease management; Mental Health; Psychiatric Disturbances
Dr. Hoge specializes in the development, evaluation, and management of comprehensive systems of care for persons with mental health and substance conditions. His research has focused on severe mental illness and non-hospital alternatives for individuals experiencing acute mental health problems. Most recently his research has centered on workforce development in behavioral health, including recruitment, retention, training, and the performance of individuals providing mental health and addiction services.
Extensive Research Description
- The development of workforce Collaboratives in behavioral health.
- Burnout in the behavioral health workforce.
- Recruitment & retention in the behavioral health workforce.
- The effectiveness of supervision.
- The comparative effectiveness of state workforce development efforts.
- Hoge, M., Paris, M., Añez, L. M., & Corominas, A. Las multiples caras de la hospitalizacion parcial (The many faces of partial hospitalization). Revista Diversitas: Perspectivas en Psicología, 5 (1), 13-26, 2009
- Stuart GW, Hoge MA, Morris JA, Adams N, & Daniels AS. The Annapolis Coalition Report on the United State’s Behavioral Health Workforce Needs: International Implications. International Journal of Mental Health, 38, (1), 46-60, 2009
Mental health care in juvenile detention facilities: a review.
Desai, R.A., Goulet, J.L., Robbins, J., Chapman, J.F., Migdole, S.J., Hoge, M.A. Mental health care in juvenile detention facilities: a review. The Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 34, (2), 204-214, 2006
Report of recommendations: the Annapolis Coalition conference on behavioral health workforce competencies.
Hoge, M.A., Morris, J.A., Daniels, A.S., Huey, L.Y., Stuart, G.W., Adams, N., Paris, M., Goplerud, E., Horgan, C.M., Kaplan, L., Storti, S.A., & Dodge, J.M., Report of recommendations: the Annapolis Coalition conference on behavioral health workforce competencies. Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 32 (5/6), 651-663, 2005
Curriculum resources for training direct care providers in public sector mental health.
Styron, T.H., Shaw, M., McDuffie, E, & Hoge, M.A. Curriculum resources for training direct care providers in public sector mental health. Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 32 (5/6), 633-649, 2005
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Hoge MA, Wolf J, Migdole S, Cannata E, Gregory FX: Workforce Development and Mental Health Transformation: A State Perspective. Community Ment Health J. 2016 Apr; 2015 Sep 26. PMID: 26410216
- Dailey WF, Morris JA, Hoge MA: Workforce Development Innovations with Direct Care Workers: Better Jobs, Better Services, Better Business. Community Ment Health J. 2015 Aug; 2014 Dec 23. PMID: 25535046
- Hoge MA, Karel MJ, Zeiss AM, Alegria M, Moye J: Strengthening psychology's workforce for older adults: Implications of the Institute of Medicine's report to Congress. Am Psychol. 2015 Apr. PMID: 25844650
- Paris M Jr, Hoge MA: Burnout in the mental health workforce: a review. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2010 Oct; 2009 Dec 15. PMID: 20013066
- Hoge MA, Morris JA, Stuart GW, Huey LY, Bergeson S, Flaherty MT, Morgan O, Peterson J, Daniels AS, Paris M, Madenwald K: A national action plan for workforce development in behavioral health. Psychiatr Serv. 2009 Jul. PMID: 19564217
- Desai RA, Goulet JL, Robbins J, Chapman JF, Migdole SJ, Hoge MA: Mental health care in juvenile detention facilities: a review. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2006. PMID: 16844801
- Hoge MA, Morris JA, Daniels AS, Huey LY, Stuart GW, Adams N, Paris M Jr, Goplerud E, Horgan CM, Kaplan L, Storti SA, Dodge JM, Annapolis Coalition on Behavioral Health Workforce Education.: Report of recommendations: the Annapolis Coalition Conference on Behavioral Health Work Force Competencies. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2005 May-Jul. PMID: 16082800
- Styron TH, Shaw M, McDuffie E, Hoge MA: Curriculum resources for training direct care providers in public sector mental health. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2005 May-Jul. PMID: 16082799
- Hoge MA, Paris M Jr, Adger H Jr, Collins FL Jr, Finn CV, Fricks L, Gill KJ, Haber J, Hansen M, Ida DJ, Kaplan L, Northey WF Jr, O'Connell MJ, Rosen AL, Taintor Z, Tondora J, Young AS: Workforce competencies in behavioral health: an overview. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2005 May-Jul. PMID: 16082798
- Hoge MA, Tondora J, Marrelli AF: The fundamentals of workforce competency: implications for behavioral health. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2005 May-Jul. PMID: 16082795
- O'Connell MJ, Morris JA, Hoge MA: Innovation in behavioral health workforce education. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2004 Nov. PMID: 15586848
- Hoge MA, Huey LY, O'Connell MJ: Best practices in behavioral health workforce education and training. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2004 Nov. PMID: 15586846
- Hoge MA, Tondora J, Stuart GW: Training in evidence-based practice. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2003 Dec. PMID: 14711124
- Hoge MA, Jacobs S, Belitsky R, Migdole S: Graduate education and training for contemporary behavioral health practice. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2002 May. PMID: 12238558
- Hoge MA: The training gap: an acute crisis in behavioral health education. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2002 May. PMID: 12238555
- Hoge MA, Tebes JK, Davidson L, Griffith EE: The roles of behavioral health professionals in class action litigation. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2002. PMID: 11931368