Manuel Paris PsyD
Associate Professor of Psychiatry; Deputy Director, Hispanic Services, CMHC; Director, Psychology Training Program, Hispanic Services, CMHC
Cultural/linguistic adaptations of evidence based assessments and interventions; Multisite training and fidelity monitoring; Workforce development and behavioral health services
Research and scholarly contributions focus on three specific areas: 1) evaluation of cultural/linguistic adaptations of evidence based assessments and interventions; 2) multisite training and fidelity monitoring; and 3) workforce development and behavioral health services. He has co-authored several articles on Latino behavioral health issues and also teaches and lectures extensively on this topic. He is an active collaborator on several large scale federal grants focused on behavioral health disparities. He also serves as a Technical Advisor to the Annapolis Coalition on the Behavioral Health Workforce. He collaborated on the Coalition’s published recommendations on workforce development in behavioral health to SAMHSA and contributed to a set of workforce recommendations presented to the Institute of Medicine. Most recently, he has co-founded the Connecticut Latino Behavioral Health System (CT LBHS). The CT LBHS represents a united effort to introduce and evaluate a network of treatment services developed from regional partnerships and tailored to meet the specific behavioral health needs of the Latino community.
- Becker, D. F., Añez, L. M., Paris, M., Bedregal, L., & Grilo, C. M. Factor structure and diagnostic efficiency of the DSM-IV criteria for Avoidant Personality Disorder in Hispanic men and women with substance use disorders. Comprehensive Psychiatry. 2009, 50:463-470.
- Santa Ana, E. J., Carroll, K. M., Añez, L., Paris, M., Ball, S. A., Nich, C., Frankforter, T. L., Suarez-Morales, L., Szapocznik, J., & Martino, S. Evaluating Motivational Enhancement Therapy adherence and competence among Spanish-speaking therapists. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2009, 103:44-51.
- Añez, L. M., Silva, M. A., Paris, M., & Bedregal, L. E. Engaging Latinos through the integration of cultural values and motivational interviewing principles. Professional Psychology Research and Practice. 2008, 39(2):153-159.
- Añez, L., Paris, M., Bedregal, L., Davidson, L. & Grilo, C. Application of cultural constructs in the care of first generation Latina/o clients in a community mental health setting. Journal of Psychiatric Practice. 2005, 11(4):221-230.
- Paris, M., Añez, L., Bedregal, L., Andres-Hyman, R., & Davidson, L. Help seeking & satisfaction among Latinas: The roles of setting, ethnic identity, & therapeutic alliance. Journal of Community Psychology. 2005, 33(3):299-312.
- Hoge, M. A., Paris, M., Adger, H., Collins, F. L., Finn, C. V., Fricks, L. et al. Workforce competencies in behavioral health: An overview. Administration & Policy in Mental Health. 2005, 32(5/6):593-631.
- Paris, M., Bedregal, L., Añez, L., Shahar, G., & Davidson, L. Psychometric properties of the Spanish version of the therapeutic collaboration scale (TCS). Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences. 2004, 26(3):390-402.