Adolescent Psychiatry; Alcohol Drinking; Behavioral Medicine; Marijuana Smoking; Nicotine; Psychotherapy; Tobacco; Chemicals and Drugs; Psychiatry and Psychology; Health Care
Psychiatry: Addictions, Division of | Center for Nicotine and Tobacco Use Research at Yale (CENTURY) | Center for the Translational Neuroscience of Alcoholism | Connecticut Mental Health Center | Neuroscience Research Training Program (NRTP) | Psychotherapy Development Center | Substance Abuse Research | Tobacco Research in Youth (TRY) | Women's Behavioral Health Research, Division of | Yale Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science
My research is focused on developing a biobehavioral understanding of the underpinnings of alcohol, tobacco (nicotine) and marijuana use, in adolescent and adult populations, and developing new pharmacological and behavioral interventions to reduce and prevent use of these substances. My more recent work has focused on developing scientific evidence to support national and international tobacco regulatory efforts.
Specialized Terms: Substance use; Alcohol; Tobacco; Marijuana; Adolescent; Developmental; Prevention; Cessation; Biobehavioral
Extensive Research Description
- To develop novel high school based tobacco cessation and prevention interventions for adolescent smokers using behavioral techniques and pharmacotherapy.
- To develop empirical scientific evidence to support national and international tobacco regulatory efforts.
- To understand the role of flavors in tobacco/nicotine addiction
- To develop novel marijuana prevention and cessation programs for adolescents
- To use a developmental perspective, and behavioral and neuroimaging methods, to understand the prevalence and biobehavioral underpinnings of high risk behaviors, including substance use, among adolescents.
- To examine the effects of glutamatergic and opiodergic agents on alcohol drinking behaviors including craving.
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Morean, M., Camenga, D., Cavallo, D.A. & Kong, G. E-cigarette use among high school and middle school adolescents in Connecticut. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 2015. 1:1-9
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Cavallo, D.A., Cooney, J.L., Schepis, T.S., Kong, G., Liss, T.B., Liss, A.K., McMahon, T.J., Nich, C., Babuscio, T., Rounsaville, B., & Carroll, K.M. An exploratory randomized controlled trial of a novel high-school-based smoking cessation intervention for adolescent smokers using abstinence-contingent incentives and cognitive behavioral therapy. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2013, 132: 346-351
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Co-author, “Health consequences of tobacco use by young people" 2010 Surgeon General’s Report “Preventing Tobacco Use Among Young People”.
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Krystal, J.H., Shi, J., Pittman, B., O’Malley, S.S. (2007) Family history of alcoholism influences naltrexone-induced reduction in alcohol drinking. Biological Psychiatry. 62: 694-7.
- Behavioral impulsivity predicts treatment outcome in a smoking cessation program for adolescent smokers. Krishnan-Sarin, S., Reynolds, B., Duhig, A.M., Smith, A., Liss, T., McFetridge, A., Cavallo, D.A., Carroll, K.M., Potenza, M. (2007) Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007 Apr 17;88(1):79-82. Epub 2006 Oct 17.
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Duhig, A., McKee, S., McMahon, T.J., Liss, T., McFetridge, A., Cavallo, D.A. Contingency Management for Smoking Cessation in Adolescent Smokers. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2006. 14(3):306-10.