Borderline Personality Disorder; Burnout, Professional
My primary clinical, research, and training interests center around personality disorders, with a focus on borderline personality disorder and Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). I am particularly interested in adaptations of DBT, including DBT modified for the day hospital setting, for comorbid borderline personality disorder and substance use disorders, and for children with suicidal and self-injurious behaviors. My other research interests include trauma, PTSD, mindfulness, and emotion regulation.
Extensive Research Description
Current Research collaborations include:
- Preventing Therapist Burnout
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Formulation
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy modified for Children
- Axelrod, S. R., & Lee, J. (2013). Applying Dialectical Behavior Therapy Methods to Personality Disorder Patients in Healthcare Settings. Asia Health Care Journal, 1, 5-10.
- Perepletchikova, F., Ansell, E. B., & Axelrod, S. R. (2012). Borderline personality disorder features and history of childhood maltreatment in mothers involved with child protective services. Child Maltreatment, 17, 182-190.
- Axelrod, S. R., Perepletchikova, F., Holtzman, K., & Sinha, R. (2011). Emotion Regulation and Substance Use Frequency in Women with Substance Dependence and Borderline Personality Disorder Receiving Dialectical Behavior Therapy. American Journal of Drug
- Perepletchikova, F., Axelrod, S. R., Kaufman, J., Rounsaville, B. J., Douglas-Palumberi, H., & Miller, A. L. (2011). Adapting dialectical behavior therapy for children: Towards a new research agenda for Paediatric suicidal and non-suicidal self-injurious
- Wupperman, P., Neumann, C. S., Whitman, J., & Axelrod, S. R. (2009). The role of mindfulness in borderline personality disorder features. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 197, 766-71.
- Wupperman, P., Neumann, C. S., & Axelrod, S. R. (2008). Do deficits in mindfulness underlie borderline personality features and core difficulties? Journal of Personality Disorders, 22, 466-482.
- Fox, H. C., Axelrod, S. R., Paliwal, P., Sleeper, J., & Sinha, R. (2007). Difficulties in emotion regulation and impulse control during cocaine abstinence. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 89, 298-301.
- Axelrod, S. R., Morgan, C. A., & Southwick, S. M. (2005) Symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder features in veterans of operation desert storm. American Journal of Psychiatry,162, 270-275.
- Southwick, S. M., Axelrod, S. R., Wang, S. Yehuda, R., Morgan III, C. A., Charney, D., Rosenheck. R., & Mason, J. (2003). Twenty-four hour urine cortisol in combat veterans with PTSD and comorbid borderline personality disorder. Journal of Nervous and Me
- Sanislow, C. A., Grilo, C. M., Fehon, D., Axelrod, S. R., & McGlashan, T. H. (2003). Correlates of suicide risk in juvenile detainees and adolescent inpatients. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 42, 234-240.
- Axelrod, S. R., Grilo, C. M., Sanislow, C., & McGlashan, T. H. (2001) Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire-Brief: Factor structure and convergent validity in inpatient adolescents. Journal of Personality Disorders, 15, 168-179.