Child Development; Mother-Child Relations; Neurobiology; Intervention Studies; Parenting; Substance-Related Disorders; Psychology, Developmental
Dr. Suchman has completed two randomized clinical trials testing the efficacy of Mothering from the Inside Out with mothers in treatment for substance use disorders and caring for young children. Treatment outcomes have included maternal reflective functioning (the capacity to make sense of mental and emotional states underlying behavior), maternal sensitivity, dyadic reciprocity, child attachment status, and maternal psychiatric symptoms and substance use. Dr. Suchman has also piloted MIO with mothers and young children enrolled in mental health services. In her research, she has also identified different dimensions of reflective functioning, examined moderating effects of addiction severity on response to mentalization-based parenting interventions, tested mechanisms of change, and developed materials for training and evaluating treatment fidelity in community-based settings.
Specialized Terms: Mother-child relations; Human attachment; Substance abuse; Intervention development and evaluation; Neurobiology of parenting and addiction
Extensive Research Description
- Development and evaluation of mentalization-based parenting interventions for mothers with substance use and psychiatric disorders
- Suchman, N. E., DeCoste, C. L., McMahon, T. J., Dalton, R., Mayes, L. C., & Borelli, J. (in press). Development and Psychopathology.
- Suchman, N. E. (in press). International Journal of Birth and Education
- Suchman, N. E., Ordway, M. R., de las Heras Kuhn, L., McMahon, T. J. (in press). Attachment and Human Development
- Ordway, M. R., McMahon, T., de las Heras, L., & Suchman, N. (under review).
- Borelli, J. L., St. John, K., Cho, E., & Suchman, N. E. (2016). American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 86, 24-36.
- Rasmussen, H. F., Borelli, J. L., DeCoste, C., & Suchman, N. E. (2016). Infant Mental Health Journal, 37, 140-150.
- Suchman, N. E., Pajulo, M., & Mayes, L. (2013). New York: Oxford University Press
- Suchman, N. E., DeCoste, C., Rosenberger, P., & McMahon, T. J. (2012). Infant Mental Health Journal, 33, 360 – 371.
- David, D., Gellberg, L., & Suchman, N. (2012). Infant Mental Health Journal, 33, 1-9.
- David, D., McMahon, T., Luthar, S., & Suchman, N. (2012). American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 82, 231-240.
- Pajulo, M., Pyykkönen, N., Kalland, M., Sinkkonen, J., Helenius, H., Punamäki, R., & Suchman, N. (2012). Infant Mental Health Journal, 33, 70-81.
- Suchman, N., DeCoste, C., McMahon, T., Rounsaville, B., & Mayes, L. (2011). Infant Mental Health Journal, 32, 427-449.
- 20. Suchman, N., DeCoste, C., Castiglioni, N., McMahon, T., Rounsaville, B., & Mayes, L. (2010). Attachment and Human Development, 12, 483-504.
- Suchman, N., DeCoste, C., Leigh, D., & Borelli, J. (2010). Attachment and Human Development, 12, 567-585.