Michael J. Strambler
Associate Research Scientist in Psychiatry
Academic achievement and engagement; Social, emotional, and behavioral health; Child development; Self-concept; Program development and evaluation; Culture
a clinical and community psychologist, my research concerns the interaction
between individuals and their environments and its effects on their well-being.
Most of my work involves understanding the role of social environments in the
academic, psychological, social, and behavioral well-being of children and
youth in urban contexts. A main area of my research centers on the ways in
which home and school settings shape how youth perceive themselves academically
and how self-perception affects academic performance. I also study the impact
of social programs on these processes.
- Patel, S. G., Tabb, K. M., Strambler, M. J., & Eltareb, F. (in press). Newcomer immigrant adolescents and ambiguous discrimination: The role of cognitive appraisal. Journal of Adolescent Research.
- Strambler, M.J. and McKown, C.M. (2013). Promoting student engagement through evidence-based action research with teachers. Journal of Educational and Psychological Consultation, 23(1), 1-28.
- Strambler, M.J., Linke, L.H., Ward, N.L. (2013). Academic identification as a mediator of the relationship between parental socialization and academic achievement. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 38, 99-106.
- Strambler, M. J. and R. S. Weinstein (2010). Psychological disengagement among ethnic minority children in elementary school. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology 31: 155-165. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2009.11.006
- McKown, C. and M. J. Strambler (2009). Developmental antecedents and social and academic consequences of stereotype-consciousness in middle childhood. Child Development 88(6): 1643–1659. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2009.01359.x
- McKown, C. and M. J. Strambler (2008). Social influences on the ethnic achievement gap. Handbook of race, racism, and the developing child. S. M. Quintana and C. McKown. Hoboken, NJ, Wiley.
- Weinstein, R. S., A. Gregory, and Strambler, M.J. (2004). Intractable Self-Fulfilling Prophecies: Fifty Years After Brown v. Board of Education. American Psychologist 59(6): 511-520. doi: http://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/0003-066X.59.6.511