One area of my research concerns understanding the role of social environments in the academic, psychological, social, and behavioral well-being of children and youth in urban contexts. My main focus in this area is on the ways in which home and school settings shape how youth perceive themselves academically and how self-perception affects academic performance and behavior.
Another primary area of my work focuses on the assessment of school-based programs and practices for the purpose of improving the academic performance and health of children. I am particularly interested in the design and implementation of rigorous and practical approaches to using data for informing practice and policy.
- Strambler, M.J., Linke, L.H., Ward, N.L. (in press). Community psychology and educational disparities. In: M.A. Bond, C.B. Keys, & I. Seranno-Garcia (Eds.), Handbook of community psychology. American Psychological Association.
- Patel, S. G., Tabb, K. M., Strambler, M. J., & Eltareb, F. (2015). Newcomer immigrant adolescents and ambiguous discrimination: The role of cognitive appraisal. Journal of Adolescent Research.
- Strambler, M.J. and McKown, C.M. (2013). Promoting student engagement through evidence-based action research with teachers. Journal of Educational and Psychological Consultation, 23(1), 1-28.
- Strambler, M.J., Linke, L.H., Ward, N.L. (2013). Academic identification as a mediator of the relationship between parental socialization and academic achievement. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 38, 99-106.
- Strambler, M. J. and R. S. Weinstein (2010). Psychological disengagement among ethnic minority children in elementary school. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology 31: 155-165. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2009.11.006
- McKown, C. and M. J. Strambler (2009). Developmental antecedents and social and academic consequences of stereotype-consciousness in middle childhood. Child Development 88(6): 1643–1659. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2009.01359.x
- McKown, C. and M. J. Strambler (2008). Social influences on the ethnic achievement gap. Handbook of race, racism, and the developing child. S. M. Quintana and C. McKown. Hoboken, NJ, Wiley.
- Weinstein, R. S., A. Gregory, and Strambler, M.J. (2004). Intractable Self-Fulfilling Prophecies: Fifty Years After Brown v. Board of Education. American Psychologist 59(6): 511-520. doi: http://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/0003-066X.59.6.511