Michael Albert Norko MD, MAR
Associate Professor of Psychiatry
Psychiatric risk assessment; gun violence and mental health; forensic mental health care system delivery; religion, spirituality and psychiatry/mental health; sexual diversity and religion
- Development of functional assessment measurement tool
- Research on involuntary medication of patients being treated to restore competence to stand trial
- Editing scholarly volume on sexual diversity and the Roman Catholic Church
- Refinement of curriculum in religion, spirituality, and worldview for psychiatry residents and other health care professionals
Measures of individual function as indicators for treatment and management of risk of violence to others; Interplay of religion, spirituality and psychiatry and mental health care; Outcomes of service delivery in provision of forensic mental health care
- Hornbeck JP, Norko MA (eds): More Than a Monologue – Sexual Diversity and the Catholic Church: Inquiry Thought, and Expression. New York: Fordham University Press, 2014
- Norko MA, Griffith EEH, Coleman JT: Pursuing The Journal mission. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 42: 282-289, 2014
- Swanson JW, Robertson AG, Frisman LK, Norko MA, Lin H-J, Swartz MS, Cook PJ: Preventing Gun Violence Involving People with Serious Mental Illness, in Webster DW, Vernick JS (eds): Reducing Gun Violence in America – Informing Policy with Evidence and Analysis. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2013, pp 33-51
- Buchanan A, Norko MA: The Psychiatric Report: An Agenda for Development. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 41: 359-373, 2013
- Buchanan A, Binder R, Norko M, Swartz M: Resource Document on Psychiatric Violence Risk Assessment. Am J Psychiatry 169:3, March 2012, data supplement.
- Buchanan A, Norko MA (eds.): The Psychiatric Report: Principles and Practice in Forensic Writing. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011
- Kapoor R, Young JL, Coleman JT, Norko MA, Griffith EEH: Ethics in Forensic
Psychiatry Publishing. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 39: 332-341, 2011
- Norko MA: The Death Penalty in Catholic Teaching and Medicine: Intersections and Places for Dialogue. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 36: 470-481, 2008.
- Norko MA, Dike CC: The Forensic Unit, in Sharfstein SS (ed): The Textbook of Hospital Psychiatry. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Press, Inc, 2008.
- Norko MA, Baranoski MV: The prediction of violence; detection of dangerousness. Brief Treatment & Crisis Intervention 8:73-91, 2008.