Neurosciences; Smoking; Smoking Cessation; Stroke; Binge Drinking
My primary research interests are to better understand the cognitive processes related to tobacco/nicotine addiction and to develop novel treatments for smoking cessation. My research involves clinical trials of treatments for smoking and neuroimaging studies of the related neurobiological mechanisms. My current work uses approaches in mobile health and neuroimaging. In mobile health, my work includes a randomized controlled trial to test the efficacy of a smartphone app for mindfulness training for smoking cessation. The app is embedded with experience sampling, a method to query smokers’ behavior and experience in real-time to measure psychological mechanisms of change related to mindfulness, stress, and smoking. In neuroimaging, my background is in cognitive and clinical functional MRI. My current work uses fMRI to better understand the neural mechanisms of potential treatments for smoking such as mindfulness, and to test how the brain changes across treatments for smoking. My neuroimaging work also includes studies using real-time fMRI neurofeedback, resting-state functional connectivity, and graph theory. My research extends to tobacco regulatory science, and to the relationship between drinking and smoking.
- The (in)stability of functional brain network measures across thresholds. Garrison KA, Scheinost D, Finn ES, Shen X, Constable RT. Neuroimage. 2015 Sep;118:651-61. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2015.05.046. Epub 2015 May 27. PMID: 26021218
- Meditation leads to reduced default mode network activity beyond an active task. Garrison KA, Zeffiro TA, Scheinost D, Constable RT, Brewer JA. Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci. 2015 Sep;15(3):712-20. doi: 10.3758/s13415-015-0358-3. PMID: 25904238
- A randomized controlled trial of smartphone-based mindfulness training for smoking cessation: a study protocol. Garrison KA, Pal P, Rojiani R, Dallery J, O'Malley SS, Brewer JA. BMC Psychiatry. 2015 Apr 14;15:83. doi: 10.1186/s12888-015-0468-z. PMID: 25884648
- Garrison KA, Rogalsky C, Sheng T, Liu B, Damasio H, Winstein CJ and Aziz-Zadeh LS (2015) Functional MRI preprocessing in lesioned brains: manual versus automated region of interest analysis. Front. Neurol. 6:196. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2015.00196
- Neuroimaging and biomarkers in addiction treatment. Garrison KA, Potenza MN. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2014 Dec;16(12):513. doi: 10.1007/s11920-014-0513-5. Review. PMID: 25308385
- Optimizing real time fMRI neurofeedback for therapeutic discovery and development. Stoeckel LE, Garrison KA, Ghosh S, Wighton P, Hanlon CA, Gilman JM, Greer S, Turk-Browne NB, deBettencourt MT, Scheinost D, Craddock C, Thompson T, Calderon V, Bauer CC, George M, Breiter HC, Whitfield-Gabrieli S, Gabrieli JD, LaConte SM, Hirshberg L, Brewer JA, Hampson M, Van Der Kouwe A, Mackey S, Evins AE. Neuroimage Clin. 2014 Jul 10;5:245-55. doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2014.07.002. eCollection 2014. Review. PMID: 25161891
- BOLD signal and functional connectivity associated with loving kindness meditation. Garrison KA, Scheinost D, Constable RT, Brewer JA. Brain Behav. 2014 May;4(3):337-47. doi: 10.1002/brb3.219. Epub 2014 Feb 12. PMID: 24944863
- What about the "Self" is Processed in the Posterior Cingulate Cortex? Brewer JA, Garrison KA, Whitfield-Gabrieli S. Front Hum Neurosci. 2013 Oct 2;7:647. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2013.00647. Review. PMID: 24106472
- The posterior cingulate cortex as a plausible mechanistic target of meditation: findings from neuroimaging. Brewer JA, Garrison KA. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2014 Jan;1307:19-27. doi: 10.1111/nyas.12246. Epub 2013 Sep 13. PMID: 24033438
- Effortless awareness: using real time neurofeedback to investigate correlates of posterior cingulate cortex activity in meditators' self-report. Garrison KA, Santoyo JF, Davis JH, Thornhill TA 4th, Kerr CE, Brewer JA. Front Hum Neurosci. 2013 Aug 6;7:440. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2013.00440. eCollection 2013. PMID: 23964222
- Modulating the motor system by action observation after stroke. Garrison KA, Aziz-Zadeh L, Wong SW, Liew SL, Winstein CJ. Stroke. 2013 Aug;44(8):2247-53. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.113.001105. Epub 2013 Jun 6. PMID: 23743974
- Real-time fMRI links subjective experience with brain activity during focused attention. Garrison KA, Scheinost D, Worhunsky PD, Elwafi HM, Thornhill TA 4th, Thompson E, Saron C, Desbordes G, Kober H, Hampson M, Gray JR, Constable RT, Papademetris X, Brewer JA. Neuroimage. 2013 Nov 1;81:110-8. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2013.05.030. Epub 2013 May 17. PMID: 23684866
- Liew SL, Garrison KA, Werner J, Aziz-Zadeh L. (2012) The mirror neuron system: innovations and implications for occupational therapy. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health. 32(3): p.79-86.
- The mirror neuron system: a neural substrate for methods in stroke rehabilitation. Garrison KA, Winstein CJ, Aziz-Zadeh L. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2010 Jun;24(5):404-12. doi: 10.1177/1545968309354536. Epub 2010 Mar 5. Review. PMID: 20207851
- Pelletier D, Garrison KA, Henry R. (2004) Measurement of whole-brain atrophy in multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neuroimaging. Jul;14(3 Suppl):11S-19S. Review. PMID: 15228755.