Harvey L. Ruben M.D. MD, M.P.H.
Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
Dr. Ruben was the Director of Continuing Education for the Department of Psychiatry for 18 years. He was the President of the Department of Psychiatry Alumni Association for two years and currently serves on the Executive Committee. He started the first CIU at Yale New Haven Hospital in 1982. He has been teaching a tutorial on psychiatric interviewing to YMSIII students in the CIU for over 25 years.
He hosted a nationally syndicated mental health issues call-in radio show on the NBC radio network for over 11 years. He was the Public Affairs Chairman of the American Psychiatric Association for 6 years and the President of the National Association of Medical Communicators for 2 years. He has authored 3 books for lay audiences pertaining to understanding mental health related issues. He has edited, co-authored or authored 28 books, chapters and journal articles.
Education & Training
- Northwestern University (1966)
- Harvard School of Public Health (1968)
- Psychiatry Resident
- Walter Reed General Hospital, US Army (1968 - 1971)
Honors & Recognition
- Robinson Electronic Media Award
American Psychiatric Association (1989)
- Outstanding Clinical Faculty Aware
Yale Department of Psychiatry (2000)
- Francis J. Braceland Award for Public Service
American Psychiatric Association (1992)
- Presidential Mission Award
National Mental Health Association (1992)
- Distinguished Life Fellow
American Psychiatric Association (2004)
- Nancy C.A. Roeske, M.D. Certificate of Recognition for Excellence in Medical Education
American Psychiatric Association (2008)