Affective Disorders, Psychotic; Depressive Disorder; Hispanic Americans; Psychiatry; Schizophrenia; Teaching; Global Health; Cultural Diversity; Mood Disorders; Schizophrenia and Disorders with Psychotic Features
Adherence to medication in persistent mental disorders. Mental Health Services for Latino Populations: exploring influences affecting access and retention. Exploring effective methods to teach cultural sensitivity. Participating in a cultural formulation interview pilot an international effort to address culture in DSM 5.
Specialized Terms: Medication adherence in Latinos; Culturally sensitive services; Ethnicity and language influences on mood disorders diagnoses; Teaching methods for cultural sensitivity; Cultural formulation interview DSM5
Extensive Research Description
The Latino Behavioral Health, an expansion of mental health services to primary care and community agencies includes an evaluation.
Development methods to teach cultural competence and sensitivity
Cultural Formulation Interview for DSM 5.
- Diaz, E., Armah, T., Hinton, L. “Supplementary Module: Social Network” in Lewis-Fernandez R., Aggarwal, N., Hinton, L., Hinton, D., Kirmayer, L. (Editors) DSM-5 Handbook on the Cultural Formulation Interview. Accepted for Publication. American Psychiatric Publishing
- Diaz, E. Silva, M., Garcia-Aracena F., Paris, M., Anez, L., Barkil-Oteo, A., Delphin, M. “Cultural Psychiatry and Public Health” in Steiner, J. & Jacobs, S. (Editors) Yale Textbook of Public Psychiatry Accepted for Publication, Oxford Press
- Inconsistencies in diagnosis and symptoms among bilingual and English-speaking Latinos and Euro-Americans. Díaz E, Miskemen T, Vega WA, Gara M, Wilson DR, Lesser I, Escamilla M, Neighbors HW, Arndt S, Strakowski S.(2009) Inconsistencies in diagnosis and symptoms among bilingual and English-speaking Latinos and Euro-Americans.
- Diaz E, Woods SW, Rosenheck RA. Effects of ethnicity on psychotropic medications adherence. Community Ment Health J. 2005 Oct;41(5):521-37.
- Novel Brief Cultural Psychiatry Training for Residents Diaz, E., Armah, T., Linse, C., Fiskin, A., Jordan, A.,Hafler, J. “Novel Brief Cultural Psychiatry Training for Residents. Academic Psychiatry, 2016, 40: 366-368 DOI 10.1007/s40596-015-0279-z