My research is focused on understanding neural mechanisms underlying the link between stress and addiction and developing effective treatment strategies for stress- and addiction- related illnesses. I use multimodal neuroimaging combining functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), electroencephalogram (ECG), and endocrine measurements to examine neurobiological correlates of stress, autonomic nervous system, and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis regulation and their roles in addictive disorders. I am interested in developing an interdisciplinary program of translational research to identify common and differential neural circuits involved in various types of addictive disorders (e.g, alcoholism, obesity, and other substance abuse) with the application of advanced multimodal neuroimaging techniques.
- Disrupted ventromedial prefrontal function, alcohol craving, and subsequent relapse risk. Seo D, Lacadie CM, Tuit K, Hong KI, Constable RT, Sinha R. JAMA Psychiatry. 2013 Jul;70(7):727-39.
- Neuroplasticity and Predictors of Alcohol Recovery. Seo D, Sinha R. Alcohol Research. 2015;37(1):143-52.
- Circulating glucose levels modulate neural control of desire for high-calorie foods in humans. Page KA, Seo D, Belfort-DeAguiar R, Lacadie C, Dzuira J, Naik S, Amarnath S, Constable RT, Sherwin RS, Sinha R. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2011 Oct;121(10):4161-9.
- Neural correlates of preparatory and regulatory control over positive and negative emotion. Seo D, Olman CA, Haut KM, Sinha R, MacDonald AW 3rd, Patrick CJ. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. 2014 Apr;9(4):494-504.
- Role of serotonin and dopamine system interactions in the neurobiology of impulsive aggression and its comorbidity with other clinical disorders. Seo D, Patrick CJ, Kennealy PJ. Aggression and Violent Behavior. 2008 Oct;13(5):383-395.
- Sex differences in neural responses to stress and alcohol context cues. Seo D, Jia Z, Lacadie CM, Tsou KA, Bergquist K, Sinha R. Hum Brain Mapp. 2011 Nov;32(11):1998-2013.