My research is aimed at: (1) developing and evaluating treatments for patients with co-occurring opioid addiction (e.g., prescription opiates, heroin) and chronic pain (i.e., physical pain lasting at least 3 months); (2) examining the role of sociocultural factors in the occurrence and treatment of addictions (e.g., eating disorders, gambling, substance-related disorders).
Extensive Research Description
(a) Pain and Opioid Dependence Assessment and Treatment: We are evaluating methadone treatment and integrated cognitive-behavioral therapy for patients with
co-occurring chronic pain and opioid dependence.
(b) Pain and Opioid Dependence: We are evaluating buprenorphine treatment and integrated cognitive-behavioral therapy for patients with co-occurring chronic pain and opioid dependence.
- Barry DT, Savant JD, Beitel M, Cutter CJ, Schottenfeld RS, Kerns RD, Moore BA, Oberleitner L, Joy MT, Keneally N, Liong C, Carroll KM. The feasibility and acceptability of groups for pain management in methadone maintenance treatment. J Addict Med 2014; 8
- Cutter CJ, Schottenfeld RS, Moore BA, Ball SA, Beitel M, Savant JD, Stults-Kolehmainen MA, Doucette C, Barry DT. A pilot trial of a videogame-based exercise program for methadone maintained patients. J. Subst. Abuse Treat 2014; 74: 299–305.
- Barry DT, Savant JD, Beitel M, Cutter CJ, Moore BA, Schottenfeld RS, Fiellin DA. Pain and associated substance use among opioid dependent individuals seeking office-based treatment with buprenorphine-naloxone: A needs assessment study. Am. J. Addict. 2013
- Barry DT, Pilver CE, Hoff RA, Potenza MN. Pain interference and incident mood, anxiety, and substance-use disorders: Findings from a representative sample of men and women in the general population. J. Psychiatr Res. 2013, 47:1658-1664.
- Barry DT, Goulet JL, Kerns RK, Becker WC, Gordon AJ, Justice AC, Fiellin DA. Non-medical use of prescription opioids and pain in Veterans with and without HIV. Pain 2011; 152:1133-1138.
- Barry DT, Beitel M, Cutter CJ, Garnet B, Joshi D, Rosenblum A, Schottenfeld RS. Exploring relations among traumatic, posttraumatic, and physical pain experiences in methadone-maintained patients. J Pain 2011; 12: 22-28. PMC2962776