Cindy A Crusto PhD
Associate Professor of Psychiatry; Director, Program and Service System Evaluation at The Consultation Center
Social determinants of health; Children's exposure to trauma; Family violence; Program and service system evaluation; School-based mental health; Community-academic partnerships; Prevention and health promotion
Dr. Crusto has extensive experience in the development, implementation, and evaluation of child and family prevention and intervention programs and initiatives. She has 15 years of experience providing training and technical assistance to staff of community-based organizations in program evaluation design and implementation. She has directed several statewide and community-based initiatives and programs focused in the areas of family violence, education, youth substance use/abuse, child protective services, early literacy, service system development, and host of other children’s mental health related issues.
Dr. Crusto’s research interests are focused on understanding the impact of family violence exposure on young children’s well-being and on identifying the factors that serve to place young children at risk and protect against negative developmental outcomes through basic and intervention research.
- Hooper, L. M., & Crusto, C. A. (in press). Ecological systems theory. In K. Keith (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Cross-Cultural Psychology. New York, NY: Wiley.
- Roberts, Y. H., Crusto, C. A., & Kaufman, J. S. (2012). Traumatic impact of young children’s exposure to arrest. Journal of Trauma & Treatment, 1:e108. doi:10.4172/2167-1222.1000e108
- Roberts, Y. H., Snyder, F., Kaufman, J. S., Finley, M. K., Griffin, A., Anderson, J.,…Crusto, C. A., (2013). Children exposed to the arrest of a family member: Associations with mental health, Journal of Child and Family Studies, Doi:10.1007/s10826-013-9717-2
- Roberts, Y. H., Ferguson, M., & Crusto, C. A. Exposure to traumatic events and health-related quality of life in preschool-aged children, Quality of Life Research, Advance online publication. doi:10.1007/s11136-012-0330-4
- Crusto, C.A., Melissa L. Whitson, M.L., Feinn, R., Gargiulo, J., Holt, C., Paulicin, B., Simmons, W., & Lowell, D.I. Evaluation of a mental health consultation intervention in preschool settings. Best Practices in Mental Health: An International Journal, in press.
- Snyder, F. J., Roberts, Y. H., Crusto, C. A., Connell, C. M., Griffin, A., Finley, M. K., Radway, S., Marshall, T., & Kaufman, J. S. (2012). Exposure to traumatic events and the behavioral health of children enrolled in an early childhood system of care. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 25, 700-704.
- Hooper, L. M., Qu, L., Crusto, C., & Huffman, L. Scalar equivalence in self-rated depressive symptomatology as measured by the Beck Depression Inventory-II: Do racial and gender differences in college students exist? Psychology. [Special Issue on Depression], 2012(3), 762-774.
- Kilmer, R.P., Cook, J.R., Crusto, C.A., Strater, K.P., and Haber, M.G. Understanding the ecology and development of children and families experiencing homelessness: Implications for practice, supportive services, and policy. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 82(3), 2012, 389-401.
- Ward, N.L., Woods, L.N., Crusto, C.A., Strambler, M.J., Linke, L.H. Creating a safe space to learn: The significant role of graduate students in fostering educational engagement and aspirations among urban youth. The Community Psychologist, 44(1), 2011, 33-36.
- Crusto, C.A., Whitson, M.L., Walling, S.N., Feinn, R., Friedman, S.R., Reynolds, J., Amer, M., and Kaufman, J.S. Posttraumatic stress among young urban children exposed to family violence and other potentially traumatic events. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 2010, 23(6): 716-724.