Memory; Obesity; Psychiatry; Schizophrenia; Diseases; Psychiatry and Psychology; Health Care
Psychiatry: Connecticut Mental Health Center | Neuroscience Research Training Program (NRTP) | Psychosis Program at Yale | Specialized Treatment for Early Psychosis (STEP) Program
Our lab can accommodate limited number of students for small projects on cognition in schizophrenia or cross-sectional case control studies in clinical subjects in relevance to schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. We are also interested in human reward mechanisms and appetite regulation, and can support small student projects in these areas.
Specialized Terms: Schizophrenia; Psycho-pharmacology; Cognitive neuroscience; Translational neuroscience; Working memory; Cognitive impairment in schizophrenia; Medical comorbidities in schizophrenia; Obesity and mental illness; Human reward mechanisms and appetite regulation
The unchanging mortality gap for people with schizophrenia.
Chwastiak LA, Tek C. The unchanging mortality gap for people with schizophrenia. Lancet. 2009 Aug 22;374(9690):590-2
pilot study of a weight management program with food provision in schizophrenia.
Jean-Baptiste M, Tek C*, Liskov E, Chakunta UR, Nicholls S, Hassan AQ, Brownell KD, Wexler BE. A pilot study of a weight management program with food provision in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2007 Nov;96(1-3):198-205.
- Schizophrenia: Clinical Features and Psychopathology Concepts Kirkpatrick B, Tek C. Schizophrenia: Clinical Features and Psychopathology Concepts; in Kaplan and Sadock’s Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry/VIIIth ed. Eds: Sadock BJ and Sadock VA, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2005
Visual perceptual and working memory impairments in schizophrenia.
Tek C, Gold J, Blaxton T, Wilk C, McMahon RP, Buchanan RW. Visual perceptual and working memory impairments in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002 Feb;59(2):146-53.
A five-year followup study of deficit and nondeficit schizophrenia.
Tek C, Kirkpatrick B, Buchanan RW. A five-year followup study of deficit and nondeficit schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2001 Apr 30;49(3):253-60
Summer birth and deficit schizophrenia in Nithsdale, Scotland.
Tek C, Kirkpatrick B, Kelly C, McCreadie RG. Summer birth and deficit schizophrenia in Nithsdale, Scotland. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2001 Sep;189(9):613-7
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Zhou EK, Kosir U, Kucukgoncu S, Reutenauer Sullivan EL, Tek C: How accurate are self-reported height and weight in the seriously mentally ill? Psychiatry Res. 2017 Jul 10; 2017 Jul 10. PMID: 28727991
- Blanchard JJ, Bradshaw KR, Garcia CP, Nasrallah HA, Harvey PD, Casey D, Csoboth CT, Hudson JI, Julian L, Lentz E, Nuechterlein KH, Perkins DO, Skale TG, Snowden LR, Tandon R, Tek C, Velligan D, Vinogradov S, O'Gorman C: Examining the reliability and validity of the Clinical Assessment Interview for Negative Symptoms within the Management of Schizophrenia in Clinical Practice (MOSAIC) multisite national study. Schizophr Res. 2017 Jul; 2017 Jan 11. PMID: 28087270
- Fiszdon JM, Roberts DL, Penn DL, Choi KH, Tek C, Choi J, Bell MD: Understanding Social Situations (USS): A proof-of-concept social-cognitive intervention targeting theory of mind and attributional bias in individuals with psychosis. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2017 Mar; 2016 Jun 9. PMID: 27281040
- Guloksuz S, Li F, Tek C, Woods SW, McGlashan TH, Friis S, Srihari VH: Analyzing the Duration of Untreated Psychosis: Quantile Regression. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016 Oct 1. PMID: 27580422
- Tek C, Kucukgoncu S, Guloksuz S, Woods SW, Srihari VH, Annamalai A: Antipsychotic-induced weight gain in first-episode psychosis patients: a meta-analysis of differential effects of antipsychotic medications. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2016 Jun; 2015 May 12. PMID: 25962699
- Tek C: Naltrexone HCI/bupropion HCI for chronic weight management in obese adults: patient selection and perspectives. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2016; 2016 May 4. PMID: 27217728
- Nasrallah HA, Harvey PD, Casey D, Csoboth CT, Hudson JI, Julian L, Lentz E, Nuechterlein KH, Perkins DO, Kotowsky N, Skale TG, Snowden LR, Tandon R, Tek C, Velligan D, Vinogradov S, O'Gorman C: The Management of Schizophrenia in Clinical Practice (MOSAIC) Registry: a focus on patients, caregivers, illness severity, functional status, disease burden and healthcare utilization. Schizophr Res. 2015 Aug; 2015 May 28. PMID: 26027848
- Srihari VH, Tek C, Kucukgoncu S, Phutane VH, Breitborde NJ, Pollard J, Ozkan B, Saksa J, Walsh BC, Woods SW: First-Episode Services for Psychotic Disorders in the U.S. Public Sector: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial. Psychiatr Serv. 2015 Jul; 2015 Feb 2. PMID: 25639994
- Chwastiak LA, Freudenreich O, Tek C, McKibbin C, Han J, McCarron R, Wisse B: Clinical management of comorbid diabetes and psychotic disorders. Lancet Psychiatry. 2015 May; 2015 Apr 28. PMID: 26360289
- Kucukgoncu S, Midura M, Tek C: Optimal management of night eating syndrome: challenges and solutions. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2015; 2015 Mar 19. PMID: 25834450
- Ratliff JC, Palmese LB, Reutenauer EL, Tek C: An open-label pilot trial of alpha-lipoic acid for weight loss in patients with schizophrenia without diabetes. Clin Schizophr Relat Psychoses. 2015 Jan. PMID: 23471087
- Annamalai A, Tek C: An overview of diabetes management in schizophrenia patients: office based strategies for primary care practitioners and endocrinologists. Int J Endocrinol. 2015; 2015 Mar 23. PMID: 25878665
- Annamalai A, Palmese LB, Chwastiak LA, Srihari VH, Tek C: High rates of obstructive sleep apnea symptoms among patients with schizophrenia. Psychosomatics. 2015 Jan-Feb; 2014 Mar 2. PMID: 25023923
- Srihari VH, Tek C, Pollard J, Zimmet S, Keat J, Cahill JD, Kucukgoncu S, Walsh BC, Li F, Gueorguieva R, Levine N, Mesholam-Gately RI, Friedman-Yakoobian M, Seidman LJ, Keshavan MS, McGlashan TH, Woods SW: Reducing the duration of untreated psychosis and its impact in the U.S.: the STEP-ED study. BMC Psychiatry. 2014 Dec 4; 2014 Dec 4. PMID: 25471062
- Tek C, Palmese LB, Krystal AD, Srihari VH, DeGeorge PC, Reutenauer EL, Guloksuz S: The impact of eszopiclone on sleep and cognition in patients with schizophrenia and insomnia: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Schizophr Res. 2014 Dec; 2014 Oct 29. PMID: 25454802
- Tek C, Ratliff J, Reutenauer E, Ganguli R, O'Malley SS: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of naltrexone to counteract antipsychotic-associated weight gain: proof of concept. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2014 Oct. PMID: 25102328
- Tek C, Chwastiak L: Metformin for weight loss in schizophrenia: safe but not a panacea. Evid Based Ment Health. 2014 May; 2014 Apr 1. PMID: 24692251
- Kucukgoncu S, Tek C, Bestepe E, Musket C, Guloksuz S: Clinical features of night eating syndrome among depressed patients. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2014 Mar; 2014 Jan 17. PMID: 24436087
- Tek C, Guloksuz S, Srihari VH, Reutenauer EL: Investigating the safety and efficacy of naltrexone for anti-psychotic induced weight gain in severe mental illness: study protocol of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry. 2013 Jun 27; 2013 Jun 27. PMID: 23805859
- Srihari VH, Phutane VH, Ozkan B, Chwastiak L, Ratliff JC, Woods SW, Tek C: Cardiovascular mortality in schizophrenia: defining a critical period for prevention. Schizophr Res. 2013 May; 2013 Feb 17. PMID: 23422728
- Palmese LB, Ratliff JC, Reutenauer EL, Tonizzo KM, Grilo CM, Tek C: Prevalence of night eating in obese individuals with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Compr Psychiatry. 2013 Apr; 2012 Sep 5. PMID: 22959340
- Gunduz-Bruce H, Oliver S, Gueorguieva R, Forselius-Bielen K, D'Souza DC, Zimolo Z, Tek C, Kaliora S, Ray S, Petrides G: Efficacy of pimozide augmentation for clozapine partial responders with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2013 Feb; 2012 Dec 6. PMID: 23219861
- Ratliff JC, Palmese LB, Reutenauer EL, Srihari VH, Tek C: Obese schizophrenia spectrum patients have significantly higher 10-year general cardiovascular risk and vascular ages than obese individuals without severe mental illness. Psychosomatics. 2013 Jan-Feb; 2012 Jun 2. PMID: 22664309
- Ratliff JC, Palmese LB, Reutenauer EL, Liskov E, Grilo CM, Tek C: The effect of dietary and physical activity pattern on metabolic profile in individuals with schizophrenia: a cross-sectional study. Compr Psychiatry. 2012 Oct; 2012 Mar 16. PMID: 22425530
- Ratliff JC, Palmese LB, Tonizzo KM, Chwastiak L, Tek C: Contingency management for the treatment of antipsychotic-induced weight gain: a randomized controlled pilot study. Obes Facts. 2012; 2012 Dec 22. PMID: 23296213
- Palmese LB, DeGeorge PC, Ratliff JC, Srihari VH, Wexler BE, Krystal AD, Tek C: Insomnia is frequent in schizophrenia and associated with night eating and obesity. Schizophr Res. 2011 Dec. PMID: 21856129
- Ozkan B, Phutane V, Jonas E, Tek C, Srihari V: Hoofbeats and zebras: neurodegenerative disorder presenting as a "first episode" of psychosis. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2011 Jul-Aug; 2011 May 5. PMID: 21762843
- Phutane VH, Tek C, Chwastiak L, Ratliff JC, Ozyuksel B, Woods SW, Srihari VH: Cardiovascular risk in a first-episode psychosis sample: a 'critical period' for prevention? Schizophr Res. 2011 Apr; 2011 Jan 15. PMID: 21242060
- Ratliff JC, Barber JA, Palmese LB, Reutenauer EL, Tek C: Association of prescription H1 antihistamine use with obesity: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010 Dec; 2010 Aug 12. PMID: 20706200
- Srihari VH, Breitborde NJ, Pollard J, Tek C, Hyman L, Frisman LK, McGlashan TH, Jacobs S, Woods SW: Public-academic partnerships: early intervention for psychotic disorders in a community mental health center. Psychiatr Serv. 2009 Nov. PMID: 19880454
- Chwastiak LA, Tek C: The unchanging mortality gap for people with schizophrenia. Lancet. 2009 Aug 22. PMID: 19595448
- Woods SW, Saksa JR, Baker CB, Cohen SJ, Tek C: Effects of levetiracetam on tardive dyskinesia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008 Apr. PMID: 18312060
- Jean-Baptiste M, Tek C, Liskov E, Chakunta UR, Nicholls S, Hassan AQ, Brownell KD, Wexler BE: A pilot study of a weight management program with food provision in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2007 Nov; 2007 Jul 12. PMID: 17628437
- Srihari VH, Tek C, Chwastiak LA, Woods SW, Steiner JL: Best practices: surveillance and management of diabetes in a CMHC population. Psychiatr Serv. 2007 Sep. PMID: 17766557