China; Mental Health Services; Methadone; Psychiatry; Global Health; Cholangiocarcinoma; Substance-Related Disorders
Public Health Interests
My previous research experience includes biochemical research focusing on cholangiocarcinoma, which then shifted more towards psychiatric and global interests during my work in Chile, Nigeria, and in projects in China looking at epidemiology and basic treatment outcomes of methadone maintained patients. My current work is focusing more on health services and clinical outcomes in opioid use disorders in the US and abroad. I have also completed a series of papers looking at medication and health care utilization of large samples of dually diagnosed and methadone maintained patients at the VA.
Specialized Terms: Global mental health; Health services in addiction
- Methadone Maintenance in a Large, Rapidly Growing Methadone Maintenance System in Wuhan, China. Marienfeld, C, Liu P, Zhou W, Wang X, Schottenfeld R, Chawarski M. Methadone Maintenance in a Large, Rapidly Growing Methadone Maintenance System in Wuhan, China. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
- Psychiatric services and prescription fills among veterans with serious mental illness in methadone maintenance treatment. Marienfeld C and Rosenheck R. Psychiatric services and prescription fills among veterans with serious mental illness in methadone maintenance treatment. J Dual Diagn. 2015;11(2):128-35.
- Teaching psychosocial interventions for opioid use disorder in low and middle income countries: Malaysia and China. Marienfeld C and Chawarski M. Academic Psychiatry
- Opioid Agonist Maintenance Treatment. Gabbard’s Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders Schottenfeld R and Marienfeld C. Opioid Agonist Maintenance Treatment. Gabbard’s Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders, 5th Edition, Glen O. Gabbard, MD, Editor, 2014. ISBN 978-1-58562-442-3
- Public Psychiatry and Global Mental Health. The Yale Textbook of Public Psychiatry. Marienfeld C, Barkil-Oteo A, Bahloul H, Annamalai A. Oxford University Press.
- American Psychatric Association Guidelines for Assuring the Appropriate Care of Pregnant and Newly Delivered Women with Substance Use Disorders. Mona T; Colon-Rivera HA; Mandrill T; Greenfield SF; Renner J; Marienfeld C. American Psychiatric Association, 2015
- Impact of a Global Mental Health Program on a Residency Training Program. Marienfeld C and Rohrbaugh R. Academic Psychiatry, 37:4, July-August 2013
- Attitudes towards Mental Illness and Changes Associated with a Brief Educational Intervention for Medical and Nursing Students in Nigeria. Iheanacho T, Marienfeld C, Stefanovics E, Rosenheck RA. Academic Psychiatry 2013
- National psychotropic prescription dispensation among dually diagnosed patients. Marienfeld C, Rosenheck R. Advances in Dual Diagnosis. 2013;6:34-44.
- Long-acting injectable depot naltrexone use in the Veterans’ Health Administration: A national study. Marienfeld C, Iheanacho T, Issa M, and Rosenheck RA. Addictive Behaviors 2014.
- Use of Naltrexone for Alcohol Use Disorders in the Veterans Health Administration. Iheanacho T, Issa M, Marienfeld C, and Rosenheck RA. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2013. E-pub Feb 2013
- Medical and nursing students’ attitude towards people with mental illness in Nigeria: A tale of two teaching hospitals. Iheanacho T, Stefanovics E, Makanjuola V, Marienfeld C, and Rosenheck R. International Psychiatry 2013.
- Impulsivity, Cognitive Function and their Relationship in Heroin-Dependent Individuals. Zeng H, Lee T, Waters J, So K, Sham P, Schottenfeld R, Marienfeld C, Chawarski M. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 2013; 828022
- Psychiatrist decision-making towards prescribing benzodiazepines: The dilemma with substance abusers. Marienfeld C, Tek E, Diaz E, Schottenfeld R, Chawarski M. P Psych Quarterly. 2012. DOI 10.1007/s11126-012-9220-8
- Time for a Global Mental Health Specialty for US Residents? Marienfeld C. American Journal of Psychiatry Residents’ Journal. 2010 Dec;5(12):7