Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; HIV; Pain, Intractable; Substance-Related Disorders
I have broad research interests in substance abuse, technological behavioral interventions, HIV/AIDS, chronic pain, and the integration of behavioral interventions in primary care settings. I also have extensive research methodology, data management, and analytic and statistical experience, and currently have ongoing clinical trials of an automated, mobile treatments for substance abuse.I am particularly interested in developing and evaluating a computer-based treatment for substance abuse. This type of treatment is particularly relevant for rural settings where access to counselors and therapeutic treatments are either unavailable or unfeasible. Currently we are developing and evaluating a computer-based system, to provide daily cognitive and behavioral treatment (CBT) via telephone to opioid dependent patients who are receiving medication management in a primary care setting.
Specialized Terms: Automated mobile treatment for chronic disorders including substance abuse, HIV, and chronic pain; Primary care treatment for substance abuse and chronic pain; Implementation research; Addictions; Cannabis dependence; Substance abuse treatment; HIV; Chronic pain
Extensive Research Description
We are currently developing and evaluating, the Recovery Line, a computer-based therapeutic interactive voice response (TIVR) system for opioid dependent individuals receiving opioid agonist maintenance.
Check my twitter account for recent updates @brentamoore
A recent research focus has been on chronic pain, particularly as it relates to substance abuse. I am currently a Core investigator at the Pain Research, Informatics, Medical Comorbidities, and Education (PRIME) Center within the VA Connecticut Healthcare System. Also, at the VA, I am the Director of Evaluation for the Center of Excellence in Primary Care Education where I support and collaborate on a wide range of research and evaluation projects of faculty and trainees. Finally, over the past 15 years I have been involved in a number of studies evaluating HIV risk behaviors, characteristics of HIV infected patients, HIV medication adherence, and treatment outcomes, and am an affiliate of the Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS.
- Evaluating management of long term opioid therapy with a pain care quality extraction tool Moore, B.A., Anderson, D., Dorflinger, L., Zlateva, I., Lee, A., Gilliam, W., Tian, T., Khatri, K., & Kerns, R.D. (in press). Evaluating management of long term opioid therapy with a pain care quality extraction tool. Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development
- A remotely-delivered CBT and contingency management therapy for substance using people with HIV Moore, B.A., Rosen, M.I., Wang, Y., Shen, J., Ablondi, K., Sullivan, A., Guerrero, M., Siqueiros, L, Liu, H. (2015). A remotely-delivered CBT and contingency management therapy for substance using people with HIV. AIDS and Behavior, 19, 156-162. doi: 10.1007/s10461-014-0990-x.
- Bridging waitlist delays with Interim Buprenorphine Treatment: Initial feasibility Sigmon S.C., Meyer, A., Hruska, B., Ochalek, T. Rose, G., Badger, G.J., Brooklyn, J.R., Heil, S.H., Higgins, S.T., Moore, B.A., & Schwartz, R.P. (2015). Addictive Behaviors, 51, 136-142. doi:10.1016/j.addbeh.2015.07.030.
- Long-term prescription opioids and/or benzodiazepines and mortality among HIV-infected and uninfected patients Weisberg, D.F., Gordon, K., Becker, W.C., Crystal, S., Edelman, E.J., Gaither, J., Goulet, J., Kerns, R.D., Moore, B.A., Tate, J., Justice, A.C., & Fiellin, D.A. (2015). Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiencies Syndromes, 69, 223-33. doi: 10.1097/ QAI.0000000000000591.
- Evaluation of a Telehealth Intervention for Pain Management in the Veterans Health Administration Frank, J.W., Carey, E.P., Fagan, K.M., Araon, D.C., Todd-Stenberg, J., Moore, B.A., Kerns, R.D., Au, D.H., Ho, M., & Kirsh, S.R. (2015). Pain Medicine, 16, 1090-1100. doi: 10.1111/pme.12715.
- Primary care-based Buprenorphine taper vs. maintenance for prescription opioids: A Randomized, Controlled Trial Fiellin, D.A., Cutter, C.J., Moore, B.A., Barry, D.T., O’Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2014). JAMA: Internal Medicine,174, 1947-54. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.5302
- A partnered approach to opioid management, guideline concordant care and the stepped care model of pain management. Dorflinger, L., Moore, B.A., Goulet, J., Becker, W.C., Heapy, A., Sellinger, J.J., & Kerns, R.D. (2014). Journal of General Internal Medicine, Suppl 4, 870-876. doi: 10.1007/s11606-014-3019-2.
- A pilot trial of a videogame-based exercise program for methadone maintained patients. Cutter, C.J., Beitel, M., Savant, J., Doucette, C., Moore, B.A., Schottenfeld, R.S., & Barry, D.T. (2014). Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 47, 299-305. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2014.05.007
- The feasibility and acceptability of groups for pain management in methadone maintenance treatment Barry, D.T., Savant, J., Beitel, M., Cutter, C.J., Schottenfeld, R.S., Kerns, R. D., Moore, B.A., Oberleitner, L., Joy, M. T., Keneally, N., Liong, C. & Carroll, K. M. (2014). Journal of Addiction Medicine, 8, 338-344. doi: 10.1097/ADM.0000000000000055
- The Recovery Line: A pilot trial of automated, telephone-based treatment for continued drug use in methadone maintenance Moore, B.A., Fazzino, T., Barry, D.T., Cutter, C.J., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Ball, S. (2013). Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 45, 63-69. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsat.2012.12.011
- HIV Testing and sexual risk reduction counseling in office-based buprenorphine/naloxone treatment. Edelman, E.J., Moore, B.A., Caffrey, S., Sikkema, K.J., Jones, E., Paltiel, D., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Sullivan L.E. (2013). Journal of Addiction Medicine, 7, 410-416. doi: 10.1097/ADM.0b013e3182a3b603.
- A randomized trial of cognitive behavioral therapy in primary care-based buprenorphine Fiellin D.A., Barry, D.T., Sullivan, L.E., Cutter, C.J., Moore, B.A., O'Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2013). American Journal of Medicine, 126, 74.e11-74.e.17.
- Counseling and directly observed medication for primary care buprenorphine/naloxone maintenance: A pilot study. Moore, B.A., Barry, D.T., Cutter, C.J., Sullivan, L.E., O’Connor, P.G., Schottenfeld, R.S., & Fiellin, D.A. (2012). Journal of Addiction Medicine. 6, 205-211. doi 10.1097/ADM.0b013e3182596492
- Cost-effectiveness of long-term outpatient Buprenorphine-Naloxone treatment for opioid dependence in primary care. Schackman, B.R., Leff, J.A., Polsky, D., Moore, B.A., & Fiellin, D.A. (2012). Journal of General Internal Medicine, 27:669-676.
- Computer-based interventions for drug use disorders: A systematic review Moore, B.A., Fazzino, T., Garnet, B., Cutter, C. & Barry, D. (2011). Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 40, 215-223.
- Contingency management with Community Reinforcement Approach or Twelve-Step Facilitation drug counseling for cocaine dependent pregnant women or women with young children Schottenfeld, R.S., Moore, B.A., & Pantalon, M.J. (2011). Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 118, 48-55.
- Effect of incarceration history on outcomes of primary care office-based buprenorphine/naloxone Wang, E.A., Moore, B.A., Sullivan, L.E., Fiellin, D.A. (2010). Journal of General Internal Medicine, 25, 670-674.
- Delay discounting in current and former marijuana-dependent individuals Johnson, M.W., Bickel, W.K., Baker, F., Moore, B.A., Badger, G.J., & Budney, A.J. (2010). Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 18, 99-107.
- Treatment for cannabis dependence. Moore, B.A., Bowden-Jones, H., Budney, A.J., & Vandrey, R.G. (2008). In K. Silk & P. Tyrer (Eds.), Effective Treatments in Psychiatry Handbook (pp. 413-421). Cambridge University Press.
- Primary care office-based buprenorphine treatment: Comparison of heroin and prescription-opioid dependent patients Moore, B.A., Fiellin, D.A., Barry, DT, Sullivan, L.E., Chawarski, M., O’Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2007). Journal of General Internal Medicine, 22, 527-530.
- Buprenorphine maintenance in primary care: A randomized controlled trial of counseling conditions and medication dispensing Fiellin, D.A., Pantalon, M.V., Chawarski, M., Moore, B.A., Sullivan, L.E., O’Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2006). New England Journal of Medicine, 355, 365-374.
- Respiratory effects of marijuana and tobacco in a U.S. sample Moore, B.A., Augustson, E., Moser, R.P., & Budney, A.J. (2005). Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20, 33-37.
- A review of the validity and significance of the cannabis withdrawal syndrome. Budney, A.J., Hughes, J.R., Moore, B.A., & Vandrey, R.G. (2004). American Journal of Psychiatry, 161, 1967-1977.
- The time course and significance of cannabis withdrawal. Budney, A.J., Moore, B.A., Vandrey, R.G., & Hughes, J.R. (2003). Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 112, 393-402.
- Relapse in outpatient treatment for marijuana dependence. Moore, B.A. & Budney, A.J. (2003). Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 25, 85-89.
- Abstinence at intake for marijuana dependence treatment predicts response. Moore, B.A. & Budney, A.J. (2002). Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 67, 249-257.