Pain, Intractable; Substance-Related Disorders
My primary research focuses on ways to make treatment for substance abuse more accessible, attractive, and effective to a broad range of individuals.I am particularly interested in developing and evaluating a computer-based treatment for substance abuse. This type of treatment is particularly relevant for rural settings where access to counselors and therapeutic treatments are either unavailable or unfeasible. Currently we are developing and evaluating a computer-based system, to provide daily cognitive and behavioral treatment (CBT) via telephone to opioid dependent patients who are receiving buprenorphine maintenance in a primary care setting. My second line of research involves the examination of characteristics of marijuana dependence and its treatment. Over the past several years I have been involved in a number of studies evaluating withdrawal from chronic marijuana use, effects of marijuana on the respiratory symptom, relapse following treatment, characteristics predicting treatment outcome, and contingency management for marijuana dependence. I recently completed a NIDA funded pilot study evaluating a medication for marijuana dependence.
Extensive Research Description
We are currently developing and evaluating, the Recovery Line, a computer-based therapeutic interactive voice response (TIVR) system for opioid dependent individuals receiving opioid agonist maintenance.
Check my twitter account for recent updates @brentamoore
- Edelman, E.J., Moore, B.A., Caffrey, S., Sikkema, K.J., Jones, E., Paltiel, D., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Sullivan L.E. (2013). HIV testing and a sexual risk reduction counseling intervention in opioid-dependent patients treated with buprenorp
- Moore, B.A., Fazzino, T., Barry, D.T., Cutter, C.J., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Ball, S. (2013). The Recovery Line: A pilot trial of automated, telephone-based treatment for continued drug use in methadone maintenance. Journal of Substance Abus
- Barry, D.T., Savant, J., Beitel, M., Cutter, C.J., Moore, B.A., Schottenfeld, R.S., & Fiellin, D.A. (2013). Pain and associated substance use among opioid dependent individuals seeking office-based treatment with buprenorphine-naloxone: A needs assessme
- Fiellin D.A., Barry, D.T., Sullivan, L.E., Cutter, C.J., Moore, B.A., O'Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2013). A randomized trial of cognitive behavioral therapy in primary care-based buprenorphine. American Journal of Medicine, 126, 74.e11-74.e.17.
- Moore, B.A., Barry, D.T., Cutter, C.J., Sullivan, L.E., O’Connor, P.G., Schottenfeld, R.S., & Fiellin, D.A. (2012). Counseling and directly observed medication for primary care buprenorphine/naloxone maintenance: A pilot study. Journal of Addiction Medi
- Barry, D.T., Savant, J.D., Beitel, M., Cutter, C.J., Moore, B.A., Schottenfeld, R.S., & Fiellin, D.A (2012). Use of conventional, complementary, and alternative treatments for pain among individuals seeking primary care treatment with buprenorphine-naloxo
- Tetrault, J.M., Moore, B.A., Barry, D.T., O’Connor, P.G., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Sullivan, L.E. (2012). Brief versus extended counseling for HIV clinic based buprenorphine treatment of opioid dependence. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatme
- Edelman, E.J., Dinh, A., Moore, B.A., Schottenfeld, R.S., Fiellin, D.A., & Sullivan, L.E. (2012). Human Immunodeficiency Virus testing practices among buprenorphine-prescribing physicians. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 6, 159-165. PMID: 22367499. PMCI
- Schackman, B.R., Leff, J.A., Polsky, D., Moore, B.A., & Fiellin, D.A. (2012). Cost-effectiveness of long-term outpatient Buprenorphine-Naloxone treatment for opioid dependence in primary care. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 27:669-676. PMID: 222
- Moore, B.A., Fazzino, T., Garnet, B., Cutter, C. & Barry, D. (2011). Computer-based interventions for drug use disorders: A systematic review. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 40, 215-223. PMID: 21185683 PMCID:PMC3073660. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.g
- Jones, E.S., Moore, B.A., Sindelar, J.L., O’Connor, P.G., Schottenfeld, R.S., & Fiellin, D.A. (2009). Cost analysis of clinical and office-based treatment of opioid dependence: Results with methadone and buprenorphine in clinically stable patients. Drug
- Moore, B.A., Bowden-Jones, H., Budney, A.J., & Vandrey, R.G. (2008). Treatment for cannabis dependence. In K. Silk & P. Tyrer (Eds.), Effective Treatments in Psychiatry Handbook (pp. 413-421). Cambridge University Press.
- Moore, B.A., Fiellin, D.A., Barry, DT, Sullivan, L.E., Chawarski, M., O’Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2007). Primary care office-based buprenorphine treatment: Comparison of heroin and prescription-opioid dependent patients. Journal of General In
- Fiellin, D.A., Pantalon, M.V., Chawarski, M., Moore, B.A., Sullivan, L.E., O’Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2006). Buprenorphine maintenance in primary care: A randomized controlled trial of counseling conditions and medication dispensing. New Engla
- Moore, B.A., Augustson, E., Moser, R.P., & Budney, A.J. (2005). Respiratory effects of marijuana and tobacco in a U.S. sample. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20, 33-37. PMID: 15693925 PMCID: PMC1490047
- Moore, B.A. & Budney, A.J. (2003). Relapse in outpatient treatment for marijuana dependence. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 25, 85-89. PMID: 14629990
- Moore, B.A. & Budney, A.J. (2002). Abstinence at intake for marijuana dependence treatment predicts response. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 67, 249-257. PMID: 12127196