Impulsive Behavior; Substance-Related Disorders; Behavioral Research; Psychiatry and Psychology
My recent work has focused on risk taking and impulsivity, and on methods for modeling incomplete data. Other areas of research interest include methodological issues related to the analysis of longitudinal and hierarchically-structured data, and the use of these methods to answer substantive questions in education and psychology.
Extensive Research Description
- Career Development Award: Ecological Momentary Assessment of High-Risk Sexual Behavior in OEF/OIF/OND Veterans (PI): A study of male Veterans using EMA to measure daily fluctuation in PTSD symptoms, perceptions of invincibility, impulsivity, and high-risk behavior.
- Improving Clinician's Ratings of Financial Incapability (Rosen, PI): A multi-site validation study of a new instrument designed to measure patients' money management ability.
- Advisor Teller Money Manager (ATM) Multi-site Study (Rosen, PI): A multi-site replication of an previous study demonstrating effects of a money management intervention on self-reported financial impulsivity and substance use.
- Black, A.C., McMahon, T.J., Potenza, M.N., Fiellin, L.E., & Rosen, M.I. (2015). Gender moderates the relationship between impulsivity and sexual risk-taking in a cocaine-using psychiatric outpatient population. Personality and Individual Differences, 75, 190-194.
- Black, A.C., & Rosen, M.I. (2011). A Money Management-Based Substance Use Treatment Increases Valuation of Future Rewards. Addictive Behaviors, 36. 125-128.
- Black, A.C., McMahon, T.J., Rosenheck, R.A., Ries, R., Ames, D., Ball, S., Rosen, M.I.. (2014). Development of the CAFI: A clinician assessment of financial incapability. Psychiatry Research, 215, 784-789. PMC24495575
- Black, A.C., Serowik, K.L., Ablondi, K., & Rosen, M.I. (2013). Timeline Historical Review of Income and Financial Transactions (THRIFT): A reliable assessment of personal finances. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 201, 56-59.
- Black, A. C., Harel, O., & McCoach, D. B. (2011). Missing data techniques for multilevel data: Implications of model misspecification. Journal of Applied Statistics, 38(9), 1845-1865.
- Black, A.C., Cooney, N.L., Justice, A.C., Fiellin, L.E., Pietrzak, R., Lazar, C., & Rosen, M.I. (2016). Momentary assessment of PTSD symptoms and sexual risk behavior in male OEF/OIF/OND Veterans. Journal of Affective Disorders, 190, 424-428.
- Niciu, M., Fenton, L., Fasulla, D., Black, A.C., Anderson, G., Sanacora, G. Abdallah, C. (2015). A history of early life parental loss or separation is associated with successful cognitive behavioral therapy in major depressive disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders, 187, 241-244.
- Contardo, C., Black, A. C., Beauvais. J., Dieckhaus, K. & Rosen, M.I. (2009). Relationship of prospective memory to neuropsychological function and antiretroviral adherence. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 6, 547-554.