Alcoholism; Pharmacogenetics; Psychiatry; Psychopharmacology; Veterans; Substance Abuse Detection; Alcohol-Induced Disorders
Dr. Arias researches new treatments for addiction to alcohol and drugs. Dr. Arias also is interested in helping to personalize medical treatment by applying genetics to treatment research.
Specialized Terms: Alcoholism; Pharmacotherapy for alcoholism; Pharmacogenetics; Dual diagnosis; Drug Addiction
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Arias has worked on clinical trials for alcoholism for more than a decade, and continues to work on clinical trials of novel therapeutics to reduce drinking. Formerly a co-investigator at the Clinical Research and Evaluation Unit at University of Connecticut Health Center, he currently works as a co-investigator under the mentorship of Dr. Ismene Petrakis with her alcohol research group at the VA in West Haven. Dr. Arias is currently funded by 5-year VA Merit Award to study the medication zonisamide to treat Alcohol Dependence, as well as an R01 to study zonisamide treatment of alcoholism in civilians including the translational study of its pharmacogenetics and clinical mechanism of action. He is currently working on the development of the anticonvulsant perampanel for alcohol and cocaine use disorder. Additional precision and personalized medicine projects include the empirical sub-typing and classification of persons with Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD), and the development of multi-gene pharmacogenetic approaches for AUD treatment.
Correlates of co-occurring ADHD in drug-dependent subjects: prevalence and features of substance dependence and psychiatric disorders
Arias AJ, Gelernter J, Chan G, Weiss R, Brady KT, Farrer L, Kranzler HR. Correlates of co-occurring ADHD in drug-dependent subjects: prevalence and features of substance dependence and psychiatric disorders. Addictive Behavior. 2008 Sep; 33(9):1199-207. PubMed PMID: 18558465; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2532519.
Placebo-controlled trial of zonisamide for the treatment of alcohol dependence
Arias AJ, Feinn R, Covault J, Kranzler HR. Placebo-controlled trial of zonisamide for the treatment of alcohol dependence. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2010 Jun;30(3):318-22. PubMed PMID: 20473070.
Effects of opioid receptor gene variation on targeted nalmefene treatment in heavy drinkers
Arias AJ, Armeli S, Gelernter J, Covault J, Kallio A, Karhuvaara S, Koivisto T, Makela R, Kranzler HR. Effects of opioid receptor gene variation on targeted nalmefene treatment in heavy drinkers. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 2008 July; 32(7):1159-66. PubMed PMID: 18537939; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2950972.
Variation in OPRM1 and Risk of Suicidal Behavior in Drug-Dependent Individuals
Arias AJ, Chan G, Gelernter J, Farrer L, Kranzler HR. Variation in OPRM1 and Risk of Suicidal Behavior in Drug-Dependent Individuals. American Journal on Addiction. In Press.
- Open-label study of memantine for alcohol dependence Arias AJ, Feinn R, Covault J, Kranzler HR: Open-label study of memantine for alcohol dependence. Addictive Disorders and Their Treatment. 6(2):77-83, June 2007.
Association of an Asn40Asp (A118G) polymorphism in the mu-opioid receptor gene with substance dependence: A meta-analysis
Arias A, Feinn R, Kranzler HR: Association of an Asn40Asp (A118G) polymorphism in the mu-opioid receptor gene with substance dependence: A meta-analysis. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2006 Jul 27;83(3):262-8. PubMed PMID: 16387451.
Anticonvulsants for the Treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome and Alcohol Use Disorders. CNS Drugs.
Hammond C, Niciu M, Drew S, Arias AJ. CNS Drugs. Apr;29(4):293-311. (Peer-reviewed).
Targeted Opioid Receptor Antagonists In The Treatment Of Alcohol Use Disorders.
Niciu M, Arias AJ. CNS Drugs. Oct;27(10):777-87. (Peer-reviewed).
A GABRA2 variant is Associated with Increased Stimulation and “High” following Alcohol Administration.
Arias AJ, Covault JM, Feinn R, Pond T, Yang BZ, Wenjing G, Oncken C, Kranzler HR. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2014 Jan-Feb; 49(1):1-9. PMCID: 3865816.
Pharmacogenetics of Naltrexone And Disulfiram in Alcohol Dependent, Dually Diagnosed Veterans.
Arias AJ, Gelernter J, Gueorguieva R, Ralevski E, Petrakis IL. American Journal on Addictions. 2014: May-Jun; 23(3): 288-93.
Topiramate Treatment of Heavy Drinkers: Moderation by a GRIK1 Polymorphism.
Kranzler HR, Covault JM, Feinn R, Armelli S, Tennen H, Arias AJ, Gelernter J, Pond T, Oncken C, Kampmann K. American Journal of Psychiatry. Am J Psychiatry 2014; April; 171: 445-452.
Topiramate for smoking cessation: a randomized, placebo-controlled, pilot study.
Oncken C, Arias AJ, Feinn R, Litt M, Covault J, Sofuoglu M, Kranzler HR. Nicotine Tob Res. 014 Mar;16(3):288-96.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Yang BZ, Arias AJ, Feinn R, Krystal JH, Gelernter J, Petrakis IL: GRIK1 and GABRA2 Variants Have Distinct Effects on the Dose-Related Subjective Response to Intravenous Alcohol in Healthy Social Drinkers. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2017 Dec; 2017 Nov 13. PMID: 29131352
- Manhapra A, Arias AJ, Ballantyne JC: The conundrum of opioid tapering in long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain: A commentary. Subst Abus. 2017 Sep 20; 2017 Sep 20. PMID: 28929914
- Petrakis IL, Ralevski E, Gueorguieva R, O'Malley SS, Arias A, Sevarino KA, Jane JS, O'Brien E, Krystal JH: Mecamylamine treatment for alcohol dependence: a randomized controlled trial. Addiction. 2017 Jul 15; 2017 Jul 15. PMID: 28710873
- Farquharson S, Dana K, Shende C, Gladding Z, Newcomb J, Dascher J, Petrakis IL, Arias AJ: Rapid Identification of Buprenorphine in Patient Saliva. J Anal Bioanal Tech. 2017 Jun; 2017 Jun 23. PMID: 28944090
- Fuehrlein BS, Mota N, Arias AJ, Trevisan LA, Kachadourian LK, Krystal JH, Southwick SM, Pietrzak RH: The burden of alcohol use disorders in US military veterans: results from the National Health and Resilience in Veterans Study. Addiction. 2016 Oct; 2016 May 26. PMID: 27061707
- Petrakis IL, Desai N, Gueorguieva R, Arias A, O'Brien E, Jane JS, Sevarino K, Southwick S, Ralevski E: Prazosin for Veterans with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Comorbid Alcohol Dependence: A Clinical Trial. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2016 Jan; 2015 Dec 19. PMID: 26683790
- Hammond CJ, Niciu MJ, Drew S, Arias AJ: Anticonvulsants for the treatment of alcohol withdrawal syndrome and alcohol use disorders. CNS Drugs. 2015 Apr. PMID: 25895020
- Arias AJ, Gelernter J, Gueorguieva R, Ralevski E, Petrakis IL: Pharmacogenetics of naltrexone and disulfiram in alcohol dependent, dually diagnosed veterans. Am J Addict. 2014 May-Jun. PMID: 24724887
- Fuehrlein B, Ralevski E, O'Brien E, Jane JS, Arias AJ, Petrakis IL: Characteristics and drinking patterns of veterans with alcohol dependence with and without post-traumatic stress disorder. Addict Behav. 2014 Feb; 2013 Sep 11. PMID: 24090619
- Kerfoot K, Pittman B, Ralevski E, Limoncelli D, Koretski J, Newcomb J, Arias AJ, Petrakis IL: Effects of family history of alcohol dependence on the subjective response to alcohol using the intravenous alcohol clamp. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013 Dec; 2013 Jul 29. PMID: 23895557
- Wang F, Simen A, Arias A, Lu QW, Zhang H: A large-scale meta-analysis of the association between the ANKK1/DRD2 Taq1A polymorphism and alcohol dependence. Hum Genet. 2013 Mar; 2012 Dec 1. PMID: 23203481
- Arias AJ, Sewell RA: Pharmacogenetically driven treatments for alcoholism: are we there yet? CNS Drugs. 2012 Jun 1. PMID: 22587755
- Arias JE, Hawke JM, Arias AJ, Kaminer Y: Eating disorder symptoms and alcohol use among adolescents in substance abuse treatment. Subst Abuse. 2009; 2009 Nov 13. PMID: 24357933