Frequently Asked Questions About Us
- Can I receive treatment there?
- We are a research clinic, not a dedicated treatment clinic, so we are not generally able to become patients’ primary psychiatrists, prescribers, or therapists. You may be eligible to receive some medication-based treatment through participation in one of our studies. All screened participants receive treatment recommendations. We are happy to talk with your psychiatrist, primary care provider, or therapist about recommendations regarding treatment. We are also happy to help you find a psychiatrist or therapist in the community, if you don’t have one.collapse
- What insurance do you take?
- If you receive treatment through our research, it will be free of charge to you, so you do not need to worry about insurance or copays. In fact, you will even be provided with a level of monetary compensation for participation.collapse
- How is the clinic funded?
- We are funded through various research grants and donations.collapse
- Will I have to stop my current medications if I participate?
- No. Our current treatment research is focused on augmentation of existing medication regimens. This means that an FDA-approved medication will be added to your existing regimen to see if this addition improves your OCD.collapse
- Is cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) available?
- Though not available directly from our clinic, some people may be able to receive CBT through qualified personnel in our building, the Connecticut Mental Health Center. We can also try to help you find a good CBT provider in the community.collapse
- How long will my involvement with you last?
Participation in non-treatment studies can involve only a few hours of your time, and will be scheduled at your convenience (to the extent possible).
Treatment studies take longer, as we follow your symptoms over time. Our current treatment study is 14 weeks long, though your involvement will entail at least a couple additional weeks for proper evaluations and other necessary matters.collapse
- Is the information I share with you kept confidential?
- Absolutely. Not only are we required by law to keep your information confidential, it’s something we personally take seriously. Your information is kept strictly confidential.collapse
- How much does participation cost me?
- Participation will not cost you, save for expenses such as transportation to our facilities. In fact, if you participate in our research studies, you may receive some compensation for your time.collapse
- How much do you compensate me to participate?
- The amount you will be paid depends on the study (or studies) you participate in.collapse
- Can I participate in more than one study?
- You certainly can, and we welcome it, provided you meet study criteria.collapse
- I don’t have OCD. Can I still participate in research?
- We always need control participants with whom to compare individuals with OCD. Control participants need to pass a set of screening tests; psychiatric diagnoses, substance abuse, and major medical or neurological diseases are typically excluded. As with participants with OCD, control participants will be compensated for their time. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are at all interested.collapse
- What can you tell me about your support group?
Our peer support group is for individuals who have OCD to discuss matters surrounding the condition. Topics covered include living with OCD, treatment experiences, share things that have helped, etc. An open, accepting, non-judgmental atmosphere is emphasized is which people can be free to share without fear of shame or ridicule, and can receive empathic and active support from others.
Participation is free of charge, and individuals do not have to be participants in our research to attend.collapse
- When and where does the support group meet?
The group meets on the first and third Thursday of each month from 3:00-4:00. The location is at 34 Park Street, 3rd Floor, Clinical Neuroscience Research Unit (CNRU) conference room.
Parking is available at Air Rights Garage. Please bring your ticket for validation. Please note that we cannot provide validation for parking in any other garage or lot.collapse