John H. Krystal MD
Robert L. McNeil Jr. Professor of Translational Research; Chair, Department of Psychiatry; Chief of Psychiatry, Yale-New Haven Hospital; Director: NIAAA Center for the Translational Neuroscience of Alcoholism; Director, Clinical Neuroscience Division, VA National Center for PTSD; Director, VA Alcohol Research Center; Medical Director, Schizophrenia Biological Research Center, DVA
Dr. Krystal is a leading expert in the areas of alcoholism, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress disorders. His work links psychopharmacology, neuroimaging, and molecular genetics to study the neurobiology and to develop novel treatments for these disorders.
He is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences. He also serves in a variety of advisory and review capacities for NIAAA, NIMH, Wellcome Trust, Brain and Behavior Research Foundation, and the Karolinska Institutet.
He previously served on the National Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Advisory Council (NIAAA), the Department of Defense Psychological Health Advisory Committee, the NIMH Board of Scientific Counselors (chair, 2005-2007), and American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (president, 2012).
Dr. Krystal also edits the journal, Biological Psychiatry (impact factor: 8.3).
Education & Training
- University of Chicago (1980)
- Yale University (1984)
- Yale University School of Medicine, Psychiatry (1984 - 1988)
Honors & Recognition
- Kempf Award for Contributions to Schizophrenia Research through Research and Mentorship
American Psychiatric Association (06/2005)
- Anna-Monika Prize in Depression Research
Anna-Monika Foundation, Munich, Germany (10/2009)
- Stanley Dean Award for Schizophrenia Research
American College of Psychiatry (02/2010)
- Jack Mendelson Award for Clinical Research
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (2010)
Institute of Medicine, U.S. National Academies of Science (2010)
- Exemplary Psychiatrist Award
National Alliance on Mental Illness (2011)
- President-Elect, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (12/13/2010 - 12/13/2011)