Applicants for Advanced Positions
Download the application for Advanced Positions.
Each year, we typically accept four residents into the Program as PGY2s. The applicants for these positions have often completed:
- a transitional residency program for PGY1;
- one or more years in another psychiatry program; or
- one or more years of residency training in another field, such as internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, surgery, etc.
We begin to review applications for these positions in the early fall of the year prior to entry. Applications may be submitted through ERAS or mailed to us directly, using the application form available on this website. In addition to the application, candidates must submit the following items:
- a personal statement
- a minimum of three letters of reference from medical school or residency faculty members familiar with the candidate’s work
- medical school transcript
- medical school Dean’s letter
- USMLE scores
Interviews of PGY2 candidates take place during the regularly scheduled interview days that are set aside each year to interview PGY1 candidates. The dates for these interviews vary slightly from year to year, but generally begin in mid-November and run until the end of January. Before we schedule an interview for a PGY2 position, the candidate must assure us that his or her current program director is aware of the candidate’s interest in applying to another program and has given the candidate permission to discuss a transfer to our Program.
Offers for PGY2 positions are communicated directly to the applicants by the Residency Program. These positions are not filled through the Match process.
Because of the many opportunities offered in our PGY4 year, we usually have openings for PGY4 positions in the residency program. For more information on this or any aspect of the application process, please contact Jamie Divine-Cadavid at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203.785.2094.