Clinical and Consultative Placements
Trainees acquire specialized clinical skills strongly grounded in a theoretical knowledge base, while learning to work effectively with allied mental health professionals. In supervised clinical placements, the addiction psychiatry residents acquire experience treating a full range of co-morbid psychopathologies and substances of abuse of adults and adolescents. Experience is gained through working with multiple training sites, working closely with the excellent faculty and with a variety of different patients, including both genders, adolescents, adults and geriatric patients. Trainees are assigned to multiple placements during the course of the year, in order to benefit from the rich clinical settings available and the diverse faculty:
The Apt Foundation
- A private non-profit corporation which provides outpatient treatment of substance abuse, methadone maintenance, long-term residential treatment for adolescents and adults in a therapeutic community, specialized services for substance-abusing HIV + and AIDS patients, and primary care and vocational services for patients in treatment
- The APT Foundation is a site for a large number of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy research protocols.
The Connecticut Mental Health Center (CMHC)
- CMHC is a collaborative endeavor of the Yale University School of Medicine and the State of Connecticut’s Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services.
- The Substance Abuse Treatment Program (SATU) is a clinic within the CMHC that provides specialty substance abuse treatment services. SATU is the home to a number of NIH and other funded research psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy research protocols.
VA Connecticut Healthcare System
- This is a general VA hospital that is a major teaching site for Yale Medical school and has full range of medical, surgical and psychiatric services.
- Provides a rich training environment offering a full array of psychiatric treatment modalities, including specialized substance abuse treatment services, services for individuals with PTSD, serious mental illness and a number of adjunctive treatments such as housing and vocational rehabilitative services.
- Specialty substance abuse services include outpatient substance abuse treatment, methadone and buprenorphine maintenance, specialized services for patients with substance-abuse and comorbid psychiatric disorders, and ambulatory detoxification.
- The VA is the home to a number of NIH and other funded research psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy research protocols.
Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH)
- This general hospital is the main teaching hospital for Yale Medical School and has a full range of medical, surgical and psychiatric services.
- Psychiatric services include inpatient, partial hospital and consultative services.
- YNHH is the home to a number of NIH and other funded research psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy research protocols.