Glutamate-opioid interactions in alcohol drinking behaviors
Principal Investigator: Dr. Suchitra Krishnan-Sarin. This project extends hypotheses from Projects 1-3 and builds on exciting preliminary findings from prior CTNA projects using our alcohol self-administration paradigm. In CTNA-1, we observed that naltrexone reduced drinking in drinkers with a family history of alcoholism (FHP), but not in family-history negative (FHN) drinkers, with no significant reductions in the stimulatory effects of alcohol or alcohol craving in either group. In CTNA-2, memantine reduced the stimulatory effects of alcohol and alcohol craving, with trends towards reduction in drinking in FHP, but not FHN drinkers, in this ongoing study. In the current CTNA project, we will conduct a "proof of concept" evaluation in FHP drinkers of whether naltrexone and memantine have synergistic effects on reducing alcohol effects, alcohol craving, and alcohol drinking.
- Adinoff, B., Junghanns, K., Kiefer, F., Krishnan-Sarin, S. (2005). Suppression of the HPA Axis Stress-Response: Implications for Relapse. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 29(7): 1351-5.
- McKee, S. A., Krishnan-Sarin, S., Shi, J., Mase, T., & O’Malley, S. S. Modeling the effect of alcohol on smoking lapse behavior. (2006). Psychopharmacology. 189(2):201-10.
- Duhig, A.M., Maciejewski, P.K., Desai, R.A., Krishnan-Sarin, S., Potenza, M.N. (2007). Characteristics of adolescent past year gamblers and non-gamblers in relation to alcohol drinking. Addictive Behaviors. 32(1):80-9.
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., Krystal, J.H., Shi, J., Pittman, B., O’Malley, S.S. (2007). Family history of alcoholism influences naltrexone-induced reduction in alcohol drinking. Biological Psychiatry. 62: 694-7.
- McKee, S.A., O’Malley, S.S., Shi, J., Mase, T., Krishnan-Sarin, S. (2008). Effect of transdermal nicotine replacement on alcohol responses and alcohol self-administration. Psychopharmacology. 196:189-200
- Leeman, R. F., McKee, S. A., Toll, B. A., Krishnan-Sarin, S., Cooney, J. L., Makuch, R.W., & O’Malley, S. S. (2008). Risk factors for treatment failure in smokers: Relationship to alcohol use and to lifetime history of an alcohol use disorder. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 10(12): 1793-1809.
- Schepis, T.S., Desai, R.A., Smith, A.E., Cavallo, D.A., Liss, T.B., McFetridge, A., Potenza, M.N., Krishnan-Sarin, S. (2008). Impulsive sensation seeking, parental history of alcohol problems and current alcohol and tobacco use in adolescents. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 2 (4): 185-193.
- Krishnan-Sarin, S., O’Malley, S.S., Krystal, J.H. (2009). Treatment Implications: Using Neuroscience to Guide the Development of New Pharmacotherapies for Alcoholism. Alcohol Research and Health 31 (4): 400-407.