Internship and Residency; Medicine; Mental Health Services; Global Health; Evidence-Based Medicine; Ethical Analysis; Electronic Health Records; Psychiatry and Psychology; Health Care
Dr. Rohrbaugh has developed clinical programs and educational programs at the interface of geropsychiatry and medicine. His research has been focused on evaluating the effect these interventions have had on patient care and on trainee education and skill development. For example, Dr. Rohrbaugh developed a psychiatry primary care clinic at VA-Connecticut to provide primary care medical services to patients with serious mental illness. He also participated on the team that evaluated this intervention and found it improved access, quality of care, and cost essentially the same as standard care. Dr. Rohrbaugh included a module on psychiatry resident education on the principles of primary care in the development of the clinic. This module was part of a national review of such interventions recently published by Dr. Rohrbaugh in 2009.
Specialized Terms: Undergraduate Medical Education; Post-graduate (Residency) Education; Electronic Medical Record; Practice Based Learning
Extensive Research Description
Use of Electronic Medical Record to Enhance Resident Competency in Practice Based Learning
Ethical Analysis in International Settings
Resident Physician Recognition of Overweight and Obesity in Patients with Psychiatric Illness
- Rohrbaugh, RM, Borysiuk L, Federman DG and Sernyak MJ: Utilizing VA Information Technology to Develop Psychiatry Resident Prescription Profiles. Academic Psychiatry 2009; 33: 27-30.
- Rohrbaugh, RM, Felker B and Kosten TR: The Veterans Administration Psychiatry Primary Care Education Initiative: Defining a Model and Determining Outcomes for Psychiatry Resident Education in Primary Care. Academic Psychiatry 2009; 33: 31-35
- Campbell W and Rohrbaugh RM, “The Biopsychosocial Formulation Manual: A Guide for Mental Health Professionals.” Routledge, New York. 2006
- Drickamer M, Levy B, Irwin K and Rohrbaugh RM: Perceived Needs for Geriatric Education by Medical Students, Internal Medicine Residents and Faculty. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2006; 21: 1230-1234.
- Randall M, Rosenbaum J, Rohrbaugh RM, Rosenheck R: Attitudes and Behaviors of Psychiatry Residents Toward Pharmaceutical Representatives Before and After an Educational Intervention. Academic Psychiatry 2005; 29:1-8.
- Lim, S and Rohrbaugh RM: Why Inpatient Psychiatry Training Still Matters: Now More Than Ever. Academic Psychiatry 2007; 31: 266-269.