This year's Annual Physiology Department Retreat was held on September 30th, at Yale's West Campus. The new venue for the retreat might be the reason for the excellent attendance but we're sure that the poster presentations and list of distinguished speakers also drew many people. The posters were judged by our faculty members, Gerhard Giebisch and Emile Boulpaep, and the winners were Christoph Straub (1st Place), Maha Elsayed (2nd Place), and Derek Erion (2nd Place).
The 2008 Physiology Departmental Retreat was held on Saturday, November 1, 2008 at the Water's Edge Resort and Spa in Westbrook, CT consisting of both student and faculty talks. This year's poster winners were:
- 1st Place: Christina Joselevitch - "Vesicle Transport on the Synaptic Ribbon and its Role in the Recovery from Synaptic Depression"
- 2nd Place: Charles Choi - "Bioactivity of Membrane-Tethered Pigment Dispersing Factor (PDF) Neuropeptide Expressed in Drosophila Circadian Clock Neurons"
- 2nd Place: Derek Erion - "The Role of cAMP Response Element Binding Protein (CREB) in Hepatic Insulin Resistance Associated with Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)"
The 2007 Physiology Departmental Retreat was held October 20, 2007 at Water's Edge Resort and Spa in Westbrook, CT.
The retreat consisted of student talks, translational research, overviews of structural biology, posters, informal discussion, PUMPKIN CARVING! and good food and wine. The objective was to bring the department together for collegial, in-depth discussions of Departmental research.
- 1st Place: Jennifer Long - "Determining the Molecular Mechanism of Vascular Sympathetic Innervation"
- 2nd Place: Diego Correa - "Zfp521, a DeltaFosB-Interacting Protein Regulates Chondrocyte Differentiation Downstream of PTHrP"
- 2nd Place: Bradley Baker - "A Fluorescent Protein Voltage Probe Based on the Voltage Sensing Domain of Ci-VSP"
The Pumpkin Competition:
- 1st Place: Yangyang Yan & Youshan Yang
- 2nd Place: Diego Correa & Jennifer Long
- Mention: Derek Erion & Matthew Gillum