Diabetes Mellitus; Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1; Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2; Endocrinology; Glucose; Hypoglycemia; Insulin; Pediatrics; Pancreas, Artificial
Office of Research Services
The entire focus of our research is to evaluate improved ways to treat children and adolescents with diabetes. These studies span the spectrum of clinical research from testing of advances in diabetes technology directed at the development of an artificial pancreas to behavoral interventions aimed at improved outcomes with current therapies. Our center has been at the forefront of pediatric diabetes research for many years.
Specialized Terms: Advances in the treatment of type 1 and 2 diabetes; Counterregulatory Hormone Responses to Hypoglycemia; Psychosocial Consequences of Diabetes; Behavioral Interventions in Diabetes; insulin pumps; continuous glucose monitoring; artificial pancreas development
Extensive Research Description
Dr. William Tamborlane studies diabetes and metabolism in children. He directs the Yale Center in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) Study. Dr. Tamborlane's ongoing project regarding the prevention of hypoglycemia is funded within The Yale Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Center grant for the study of hypoglycemia. Dr. Tamborlane holds two training grants in pediatric endocrinology/diabetes from the NIH/NIDDK. He is Deputy Director, Yale Center for Clinical Investigation that is transforming the support that is provided for clinical research across the entire medical center campus. In April 2006 he received the prestigious Mary Tyler Moore and S. Robert Levine Excellence in Clinical Research Award from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International at its annual meeting in Washington, D.C. In 2009 Dr. Tamborlane received the Diabetes Technology Society Leadership Award and in 2010 the American Diabetes Association Outstanding Clinician Physician in Diabetes Award.
- continuous glucose monitoring studies
- insulin pump studies
- artificial pancreas studies
- insulin pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies
- hypoglycemia studies
- JDRF CGM Study Group. Impact of continuous glucose monitoring in optimizing intensive treatment of type 1 diabetes in adults and children. Writing Committee: Lead authors: Tamborlane WV, Beck RW. Additional authors: Bode BW, Buckingham B, Chase HP, Clemons R, Fiallo-Scharer R, Fox LA, Gilliam LK, Hirsch I, Huang ES, Kollman C, Kowalski A, Laffel L, Lawrence J, Lee J, Mauras N, O’Grady M, Ruedy KJ, Tansey M, Tsalikian E, Weinzimer SA, Wilson DM, Wolpert H, Wysocki T, Xing D. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:1464-1476.
- JDRF CGM Study Group. The Effect of Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Well-controlled Type 1 Diabetes. Lead authors (alphabetical): RW. Beck, I B. Hirsch, L Laffel, WV. Tamborlane, Additional authors (alphabetical): BW. Bode, B Buckingham, HP Chase, R Clemons, R Fiallo-Scharer, LA. Fox, LK. Gilliam, ES. Huang, C Kollman, AJ. Kowalski, JM Lawrence, J Lee, N Mauras, M O’Grady, KJ. Ruedy, M Tansey, E Tsalikian, SA Weinzimer, DM. Wilson, H Wolpert, T Wysocki, D Xing. Diabetes Care 2009; 32:1378-1383.
- Tamborlane WV, Beck RW. Continuous glucose monitoring in type 1 diabetes mellitus. The Lancet 2009; 373:1744-1746.
- Swan KL,Dziura JD, Steil GM, Voskanyan GR, Sikes KA, Steffen AT, Martin ML, Tamborlane WV, Weinzimer SA. Effect of age of infusion site and type of rapid-acting insulin analog on the pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic parameters in youth with T1DM on insulin pump therapy. Diabetes Care 2009; 32: 240-244.
- Weinzimer SA, Steil GM, Swan KL, Dziura J, Kurtz N, Tamborlane WV. Fully automated closed-loop insulin delivery vs. semi-automated hybrid control in pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes using an artificial pancreas. Diabetes Care 2008; 31: 934-939.
- Savoye M, Shaw M, Dziura J, Rose P, Guandalini C, Goldberg-Gell R, Burgert T, Cali A, Zern T, Tamborlane WV, Caprio S. Clinical benefits of the Yale Bright Bodies intensive lifestyle intervention program in overweight children: a randomized control trial. JAMA 2007; 297:2697-2704.
- Sherr J, Tamborlane WV. Past, present, and future of insulin pump therapy: A better shot at diabetes control. Mt Sinai J Med 2008; 75:352-361.