Stuart Alan Weinzimer MD
Associate Professor of Pediatrics (Endocrinology) and Associate Clinical Professor of Nursing
Insulin pump therapy; Continuous glucose sensors; Artificial pancreas
My research focuses on the application of new technologies to the treatment of diabetes. As part of my collaborations within the Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet) and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Artificial Pancreas Project, I have been studying the safety, accuracy, and effectiveness of continuous glucose sensors to improve diabetes therapy, as well as investigating basic physiological questions of hypoglycemia counter-regulation. I have recently initiated a series of studies to test a fully-automated "closed loop" artificial pancreas under resting and exercise conditions. My research team has also been characterizing the variations in pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of insulin pump therapy, with the goals of improving current diabetes treatment regimens and improving artificial pancreas control algorithms.
- Weinzimer SA, Sherr JL, Cengiz E, Kim G, Ruiz JL, Carria L, Voskanyan G, Roy A, Tamborlane WV. Effect of pramlintide on prandial glycemic excursions during closed-loop control in adolescents and young adults with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2012;35:1994-9.
- Ruiz JL, Sherr JL, Cengiz E, Carria L, Roy A, Voskanyan G, Tamborlane WV, Weinzimer SA. Effect of insulin feedback on closed-loop glucose control: a crossover feedback study. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2012; in press.
- Mauras N, Beck R, Xing D, Ruedy K, Buckingham B, Tansey M, White NH, Weinzimer SA, Tamborlane W, Kollman C. A randomized clinical trial to assess the efficacy and safety of real-time continuous glucose monitoring in the management of type 1 diabetes in young children aged 4 to <10 years. Diabetes Care 2012; 35: 204-210.
- Tsalikian E, Fox L, Weinzimer SA, Buckingham B, White NH, Beck R, Kollman C, Xing D, Ruedy K. Feasibility of prolonged continuous glucose monitoring in toddlers with type 1 diabetes. Pediatric Diabetes 2012; 13: 294-300.
- Weinzimer SA, Steil GM, Swan KL, Dziura J, Kurtz N, Tamborlane WV (May 2008) Fully automated closed-loop insulin delivery versus semiautomated hybrid control in pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes using an artificial pancreas., Diabetes care, 31(5)934-9
- JDRF CGM Study Group. Continuous glucose monitoring and intensive treatment of type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 359: 1464-76.
- The Diabetes Research in Children Network (DirecNet) Study Group. Blunted counter-regulatory hormone responses to hypoglycemia in young children and adolescents with well-controlled type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2009; 32: 1954-9.
- Cengiz E, Swan KL, Tamborlane WV, Steil GM, Steffen AT, Weinzimer SA. Is an automatic pump suspension feature safe for children with type 1 diabetes? An exploratory analysis with a closed-loop system. Diabetes Technol Ther 2009; 11: 207-10.
- Swan KL, Dziura JD, Steil GM, Voskanyan GR, Sikes KA, Steffen AT, Martin ML, Tamborlane WV, Weinzimer SA (Nov 2008) Effect of Age of Infusion Site and Type of Rapid-Acting Analog on Pharmacodynamic Parameters of Insulin Boluses in Youth with TIDM on Insulin Pump Therapy., Diabetes care