Cardiology; Heart Diseases; Pediatrics; Fontan Procedure
Dr. Elder is interested in long term outcomes of adult patients with repaired or palliated congenital heart disease who required surgery as children. In particular, he has focused on the late term effects of the Fontan operation (used commonly as the last stage of palliation for functionally single ventricle patients) and its complex effects on the liver. He also has developed an interest in studying the effects of immune dysfunction following early neonatal thymus removal in patients who required sternotomy for repair of congenital heart disease as children.
Specialized Terms: Long-term outcomes of the Fontan operation; Liver disease associated with congenital heart disease; Immune function in adults with congenital heart disease.
- Elder RW, Wu F. Clinical Approaches to the Patient with a Failing Fontan Procedure. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2016 May;18(5):44.
- Elder RW, Baltimore RS. The Changing Epidemiology of Pediatric Endocarditis. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2015 Sep;29(3):513-24.
- Simmons MA, Rollinson N, Fishberger S, Qin L, Fahey J, Elder RW. Modern Incidence of Complete Heart Block in Patients with L-looped Ventricles: Does Univentricular Status Matter? Congenit Heart Dis. 2015 Jun 15.
- Elder RW, George RP, McCabe NM, Rodriguez Iii FH, Book WM, Mahle WT, Kirk AD. Immunologic Aging in Adults with Congenital Heart Disease: Does Infant Sternotomy Matter? Pediatr Cardiol. 2015 Apr 28.
- Elder, RW, McCabe, NM, Veledar, E, Kogon, BE, Jokhadar, M, Rodriguez, FH, et al. (2014). Risk Factors for Major Adverse Events Late after Fontan Palliation. Congenital Heart Disease. doi:10.1111/chd.12212
- Mori M, Aguirre AJ, Elder RW, Kashkouli A, Farris AB, Ford RM, Book WM. Beyond a broken heart: circulatory dysfunction in the failing Fontan. Pediatr Cardiol. 2014 Apr;35(4):569-79.
- Elder RW. A piece of my mind. Learning from improbable longevity. JAMA. 2013 Nov 20;310(19):2041-2.
- Elder RW, McCabe NM, Hebson C, Veledar E, Romero R, Ford RM, Mahle WT, Kogon BE, Sahu A, Jokhadar M, McConnell ME, Book WM. Features of portal hypertension are associated with major adverse events in Fontan patients: The VAST study. International Journal of Cardiology 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2013.06.008
- Elder RW, Quaegebeur JM, Bacha EA, Chen JM, Bourlon F, William IA. Outcomes of the Infant Ross Procedure for Congenital Aortic Stenosis Followed into Adolescence. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2013, 145(6):1504-1511.