Gerald I Shulman MD, PhD, FACP, FACE
George R. Cowgill Professor of Medicine (Endocrinology) and Professor of Cellular and Molecular Physiology; Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute; Co-Director, Yale Diabetes Research Center; Director, Yale Mouse Metabolic Phenotyping Center
Departments & Organizations
Yale Combined Program in the Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS): Molecular Medicine, Pharmacology, and Physiology
Yale Medical Group
Office of Student ResearchMouse Metabolic Phenotyping CenterCellular & Molecular Physiology: Epithelial Transport of Ions and Solutes; Organ Physiology; Physiology of Human Disease; Physiology and Integrative Medical Biology Track; Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular PhysiologyInternal Medicine: Endocrinology: Diabetes Center, Fellowship Training; Diabetes Research CenterCenter for X-Linked Hypophosphatemia, Yale
Cellular and molecular mechanisms responsible for insulin resistance. more...
- BS, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1974
- M.D., Wayne State University, 1979
- Ph.D., Wayne State University, 1979
- Perry RJ, Kim T, Zhang XM, Lee HY, Pesta D, Popov VB, Zhang, D, Rahimi Y, Jurczak MJ, Cline GW, Spiegel DA, Shulman GI. Reversal of hypertriglyceridemia, fatty liver disease and insulin resistance by a liver-targeted mitochondrial uncoupler. Cell Metabolism. 2013;(18):740-48. PMID: 24206666. PMCID: 4104686.
- Befroy DE, Perry RJ, Jain N, Dufour S, Cline GW, Trimmer J, Brosnan J, Rothman DL, Petersen KF, Shulman GI. Direct assessment of hepatic mitochondrial oxidation and anaplerotic fluxes in humans using dynamic 13C magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Nature Medicine 2013;1:(20):98-102. PMID: 24317120. PMCID: 3947269.
- Perry RJ, Samuel VT, Petersen, KF, Shulman GI. The role of hepatic lipids in hepatic insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Nature. 2014;510(7503):84-91. PMID: 24899308.