Research focus is on
- The disposition of anti-HIV drugs, e.g. nucleoside analogs such as AZT, in HIV-infected individuals in relation to treatment response, drug toxicity, and evolution of drug resistance
- Understanding of the dynamics of hepatitis C virus (HCV) and HIV transmission
Extensive Research Description
- Viability of HCV in Syringes using a Novel Microculture System This study examines how long Hepatitis C virus survives in syringes at different storage conditions.
- HIV Nucleoside Analogs Translational Studies: Resistance and Metabolism This study will examine individual differences in intracellular concentration of nucleoside analogs in relation to toxicity and resistance evolution.
- Biomarkers for monitoring Pediatric HIV therapy and disease progression in resource limited setting.
- Yang G, Paintsil E, Dutschman GE, Grill SP, Wang CJ, Wang J, Tanaka H, Hamasaki T, Baba M, Cheng YC. Impact of Novel HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase Mutations, P119S and T165A on 4'-ethynylthymidine Analog Resistance Profile. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009
- Elijah Paintsil, Susan P. Grill, Ginger E. Dutschman, and Yung-Chi Cheng. 2009. Comparative Study of the Persistence of Anti-HIV Activity of Deoxynucleoside HIV Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors after Removal from Culture. AIDS Res Ther. 2009 Apr 22;6:5.
- Elijah Paintsil, Sergei Verevochkin, Elena Dukhovlinova, Linda Niccolai, Russell Barbour, Edward White, Olga Toussova, Louis Alexander, Andrei Kozlov, and Robert Heimer . Hepatitis C Virus infection among drug injectors in St. Petersburg, Russia: so
- Elijah Paintsil, Musie Ghebremichael, Sostena Romano, and Warren A. Andiman. 2008. Absolute CD4+ T-Lymphocyte Count as a Surrogate Marker of Pediatric HIV Disease Progression. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008 Jul;27(7):629-35.
- Elijah Paintsil, Ginger E. Dutschman, Rong Hu, Susan P. Grill, Wing Lam, Masanori Baba, Hiromichi Tanaka, and Yung-Chi Cheng. 2007. Intracellular Metabolism and Persistence of the Anti-Human Immunodeficiency Virus Activity of 2 ‘, 3 ‘-Didehydro-3 ‘-Deoxy-
- Elijah Paintsil, Asa Margolis, Jennifer A Collins and Louis Alexander. 2006. The Contribution of HIV Fitness to the evolution pattern of Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitor Resistance. J. Med. Virol. 78:425-430