Complementary Therapies; Fibromyalgia; Nutritional Physiological Phenomena; Pain; Preventive Medicine; Public Health; Vaccines; Evidence-Based Medicine; Dietary Supplements; Irritable Bowel Syndrome; Nutritional Sciences; Integrative Medicine; Microbiota
Public Health Interests
Childhood Immunizations; Dietary factors; Health promotion-disease prevention; Nutrition; Vitamin Supplements; Weight Management
We are currently recruiting for these studies. Volunteers can contact Maxine Fields at 203-785-5691 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Microbiome, Fibromyalgia, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome
We are looking for lean, healthy volunteers and volunteers with Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Fibromyalgia. The study involves collection of a stool sample, a small blood draw, and two visits to the Yale School of Medicine. This is an observational study; no interventions are delivered. HIC 1604017522. Compensation is $100.
Human Microbiome Study in Obese Adults
We are looking for obese volunteers between 18-70 years of age with no other major health conditions. The study involves collection of stool and saliva samples and requires three visits to the Yale School of Medicine. This is an observational study; no interventions are delivered. HIC 1512016981. Compensation is up to $100.
Soy Beverage Study
We are looking for obese volunteers between 18-70 years of age with no other major health conditions. The study involves collection of stool and saliva samples and requires 11 visits to the Yale School of Medicine. The study will take about 14 weeks to complete and requires drinking a fermented soy beverage daily for four weeks. HIC 1507016139. Compensation is up to $600. More information at http://yalestudies.org/find/857-2.trial
Blood Sugar Responses to Common Sweeteners
We are looking for lean, healthy volunteers between 18-45 years of age who have no major health conditions. The study involves blood sugar testing after consuming sweet beverages on 9 separate occasions in addition to a screening visit. Participants must be able to come to the Yale School of Medicine in the morning after an overnight fast and stay for 2-3 hours for testing. HIC 1604017520. Compensation is up to $400.
Extensive Research Description
- NIH-funded clinical trial assessing mindfulness interventions in chronic pain syndromes in adolescents
- Translational study assessing clinical, microbiome, and immunological effects of a fermented food product
- Clinical trial and mechanistic study assessing food intolerance and dietary interventions in irritable bowel syndrome
- NIH-funded randomized controlled trial assessing the efficacy of massage therapy for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee
- Epidemiologic study assessing practice patterns surrounding unconventional medical laboratory testing
- Epidemiologic studies assessing vaccine practices in complementary medicine communities
- Van Ness P, Murphy T, Ali A. Attention to Individuals: Mixed Methods for N-of-1 Healthcare Interventions. Journal of Mixed-Methods Research. 2016; 1-13.
- Ali A, Katz DL. Disease Prevention and Health Promotion: How Integrative Medicine Fits. Am J Prev Med. 2015 Nov;49(5 Suppl 3):S230-40.
- Jani AA, Trask J, Ali A. Integrative Medicine in Preventive Medicine Education: Competency and Curriculum Development for Preventive Medicine and Other Specialty Residency Programs. Am J Prev Med. 2015 Nov;49(5 Suppl 3):S222-9.
- Perlman A, Dreusicke M, Keever T, Ali A. Perceptions of Massage Therapists Participating in a Randomized Controlled Trial. Int J Ther Massage Bodywork. 2015 Sep 1;8(3):10-5.
- Jones KD, Mist SD, Casselberry MA, Ali A, Christopher MS. Fibromyalgia Impact and Mindfulness Characteristics in 4986 People with Fibromyalgia. Explore (NY). 2015 Jul-Aug;11(4):304-9.
- Ali A, McCarthy PL. Complementary and integrative methods in fibromyalgia. Pediatr Rev. 2014 Dec;35(12):510-8.
- Ali A, Vitulano L, Lee, R, Weiss, TR, Colson ER. Experiences of patients identifying with chronic Lyme disease in the healthcare system: A qualitative study. BMC Family Practice. 2014, 15:79.
- Ali A, Kahn J, Rosenberger L, Perlman AI. Development of a manualized protocol of massage therapy for clinical trials in osteoarthritis. Trials. 2012 Oct 4;13(1):185.
- Perlman AI, Ali A, Njike VY, Hom D, Davidi A, Gould-Fogerite S, Milak C, Katz DL. Massage therapy for osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized dose-finding trial. PLoS One. 2012;7(2).
- Ali A, Yazaki Y, Njike VY, Ma Y, Katz DL. Effect of fruit and vegetable concentrates on endothelial function in metabolic syndrome: A randomized controlled trial. Nutrition Journal 2011, 10:72.
- Katz DL, Doughty K, Ali A. Comprehensive Invited Review: Dark Chocolate and Cocoa in Human Health and Disease. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling. 2011 Apr 7. PMID: 21470061.
- Ali A, Ma Y, Reynolds J, Wise JP, Inzucchi SE, Katz DL. Chromium Effects on Glucose Tolerance, Insulin Sensitivity and Vascular Function in People at Risk for Diabetes. Endocrine Practice. 2010. Jul 14:1-21.
- Ali A, Vitulano LA. 2010 Yale Research Symposium on Complementary and Integrative Medicine: A Brief Report. Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine. 2010 September; 83(3): 123–125.
- Ali A, Njike VY, Northrup V, Sabina AB, Williams A-l, Liberti LS, Per Ali A, Njike VY, Northrup V, Sabina AB, Williams AL, Liberti LS, Perlman AI, Adelson H, Katz DL. Intravenous micronutrient therapy (Myers' Cocktail) for fibromyalgia: a placebo-controlled pilot study. J Altern Complement Med. 2009 Mar;15(3):247-57.