Autistic Disorder; Brain Diseases; Child Development Disorders, Pervasive; Neurobiology; Rare Diseases; Genetic Research; Pluripotent Stem Cells
Abha Gupta is interested in the genetic basis and neurobiology of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs).
Extensive Research Description
Abha Gupta is investigating the genetic basis and neurobiology of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). She is especially interested in regression in autism and is collaborating with research groups at the Child Study Center on an imaging genomics project on late-onset, severe regressive autism, also known as Childhood Disintegrative Disorder (CDD). Her laboratory is also pursuing stem cells modeling of autism-associated genetic mutations through the use of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) and genome editing.
- Gupta AR, Pirruccello M, Cheng F, Kang HJ, Fernandez TV, Baskin JM, Choi M, Liu L, Ercan-Sencicek AG, Murdoch JD, Klei L, Neale BM, Franjic D, Daly MJ, Lifton RP, De Camilli P, Zhao H, Sestan N, State MW. (2014) Rare deleterious mutations of the gene EFR3A in autism spectrum disorders, Mol Autism 5:31.
- Sanders SJ, Murtha M, Gupta AR, Murdoch JD, Raubeson MJ, Willsey AJ, Ercan-Sencicek AG, DiLullo NM, Parikshak NN, Stein JL, Walker MF, Ober GT, Teran NA, Song Y, El-Fishawy P, Murtha R, Choi M, Overton JD, Bjornson RD, Carrierio NJ, Meyer KA, Bilguvar K, Mane SM, Sestan N, Lifton RP, Gunel M, Roeder K, Geschwind DH, Devlin B, State MW. (2012) Disruptive de novo point mutations, revealed by whole-exome sequencing, are strongly associated with autism spectrum disorders, Nature 485(7397): 237-241.
- Novarino G, El-Fishawy P, Kayserili H, Meguid NA, Scott EM, Schroth J, Silhavy JL, Kara M, Khalil RO, Ben-Omran T, Ercan-Sencicek AG, Hashish AF, Sanders SJ, Gupta AR, Hashem HS, Matern D, Gabriel S, Sweetman L, Rahimi Y, Harris RA, State MW, Gleeson JG. (2012) Mutations in BCKD-kinase lead to a potentially treatable form of autism with epilepsy, Science 338(6105): 394-397.
- Volkmar FR, Westphal A, Gupta AR, Wiesner L. (2008) “Medical issues associated with ASD” in Chawarska K, Klin A, Volkmar F (eds) Autism Spectrum Disorders in Infants and Toddlers: Diagnosis, Assessment and Treatment. New York: Guilford Press.
- Gupta AR and State MW. (2007) “Recent Advances in the Genetics of Autism,” Biological Psychiatry 61(4): 429-437.
- Gupta AR and State MW. (2006) “Autism: genetics,” Brazilian Journal of Psychiatry 28: S29-38.